The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #2101
69Rumbler

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Looking for a shop or some one to install my wood bed .. Don't have time to I have a week before my insurance cancells my policy , if it's not finished lol .
Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #2102
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
Looking for a shop or some one to install my wood bed .. Don't have time to I have a week before my insurance cancells my policy , if it's not finished lol .
My 78 used to have a wood bed. I say used to, because my wooden bed is rotted like I mentioned in an earlier post. I would like to know where or which shop can do this if I go the wooden bed route again.

Can you just put a plastic liner on in the meantime?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #2103
Barney 66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Try this fella

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=112388

vegadesign he is a member
Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #2104
SS Tim

Quote:
Just a thought, but would installing a used metal bed keep them happy while yours was being "repaired"?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #2105
midnight rambler

slap a piece of T1 11 siding in it and stain it will take an hour
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #2106
69Rumbler

I had a bed cover over it they went under it , there are jerks ! Bah !
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #2107
69Rumbler

Any get togethers coming up ??
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #2108
budnikguy

I am curious too.....

Quote:
Any get togethers coming up ??
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #2109
budnikguy

On a side note....I have come across an extremely reasonable, experienced, glass installer in the Inland Empire. He is mobile and or you can come to him. He installed front windshield and rear hatch glass on my 72 Suburban in my driveway without a hitch. PM me if you would like his contact info.

Adam
951-544-0721
Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #2110
InitialBoss

Ok, guys. I'm looking for opinions. I have my 250 inline 6 which now after getting the fuel line replaced from a steel line to a rubber fuel line, runs like crap. It's real shaky and has no power to move forward or reverse after it starts. It will eventually start to be able to move after it warms up but right out the gate, it's terrible. I don't know what was done to it by the mechanic but it wasn't running that bad prior. I don't want to take it back to him because I don't think he is too familiar with our type of trucks. I'm not sure if it's bad gas. It's been back firing sort of from the carb now too. Basically I shut it off and it still stutters and runs a little bit and then poof, dies out and smoke comes out of the air cleaner area and snorkel area.

I'm not sure if I should swap out the engine for a 350 sbc and get my trans sorted out as it's leaking a little bit. Or try to go with an LS swap. The only downer besides the money for an LS swap is that my truck is a '78 and has to have all the stupid CA smog stuff done to it so it's still smog legal. Do any CA guys who have a newer than '75 (I think that is the last year it can be smog free) LS swapped truck have any recommendations on SoCal smoggers? I want to go the most economic route and I know the LS isn't. But I figure maybe it might be worth while to spend the money on an LS swap for power and mpg and reliability than go SBC and low mileage. I can't do the swap myself as I don't consider myself that tech savvy enough to do it and it will take forever if I try to learn it myself. What would you guys do in my situation?

Would you:

A) Just check out what's going on with the I6 and rebuild if needed? (cheapest option I think)
B)Do a newish SBC swap
C) Go for the LS swap and build it up over some time since it's expensive. I do want to take my truck out to get stuff from the home improvement store or furniture runs if needed though, so it can't be down for too long.

I wish I was taught general truck repairs when I was younger and I'm trying to learn as much as I can now but with 2 kids and having family time, it's a little difficult.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #2111
69Rumbler

I got a smog guy if you needed
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #2112
Lee H

When's the last time it's had a real tune-up? Not the typical look around and think everything looks ok, a real tune-up. New plugs, wires, cap rotor, check for correct vac and mechanical advance operation. Carb rebuild and dial in. Those sixes are just about bullet proof. Have you done a leak down test?

As for an engine swap you need to go to the California DMV site and read up on engine swaps. I think you'll soon find out your best and most economical bet for an early smogger is to rebuild your six or get another six to replace it.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #2113
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
When's the last time it's had a real tune-up? Not the typical look around and think everything looks ok, a real tune-up. New plugs, wires, cap rotor, check for correct vac and mechanical advance operation. Carb rebuild and dial in. Those sixes are just about bullet proof. Have you done a leak down test?

As for an engine swap you need to go to the California DMV site and read up on engine swaps. I think you'll soon find out your best and most economical bet for an early smogger is to rebuild your six or get another six to replace it.
According to the mechanic he put in new wires, plugs, and rebuilt the carb.After my dad's death we didn't really run the truck or drive it for about 3 years or so. The carb had rotted due to fuel still in it so it had to be rebuilt. I don't know if the cap rotor was replaced. I can't figure out how to check the vacuum and mechanical advance. I got a vacuum gauge but I'm having a hard time getting the right wire connected to the T line to have it work. I think I have to just take the tube to Autozone to match it up so I can finish the T line connection. I just want the truck to run reliably and not have to worry about it breaking down so quickly. I think I plan on replacing the radiator hoses soon too to make sure that won't crack soon.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #2114
Crazyduck

Hey guys I'm in riverside county
Looking to get this beauty up and running soon.
Keep missing the Jegs crate sale by a day

Quote:
******** Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #2115
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyduck View Post
Looking to get this beauty up and running soon. Keep missing the Jegs crate sale by a day
Welcome to the board.
Try Summit, they sell the same crate engines.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #2116
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
I'm not sure if I should swap out the engine for a 350 sbc and get my trans sorted out as it's leaking a little bit.

To answer your question, Yes swap it out for a 350. Some of the guys here, or maybe on craigslist might have one running. But you seem to keep having issues with the 250. And your model truck came with a 350, so the smog laws will apply but no issues because you changed your engine.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #2117
Barney 66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyduck View Post
Looking to get this beauty up and running soon. Keep missing the Jegs crate sale by a day
I've got two 350s that I am selling and also have a 350 Turbo still hooked up to that was in my 66. I built another 350 I had laying around and pulled my current runner.

One need light freshening up and will be a short or long block
Short- No intake, no Water pump, no carb etc.
Long- Edelbrock performer intake, with water pump, and a Holly 650 carb (fresh rebuild)

Second engine is a numbers matching 350 out of a 67-69 Camaro with heads.

350 Turbo with shift kit

PM me for prices, if you want either one built let me know and I will price it and can deliver to you in Rside.