The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
67cheby
67cheby

how to modify the stock K5 frame to lay out

Does anyone have any pointers or tips on how to modify the stock frame rails to lay out ? It looks like i need a couple inches off of the bottom, should i weld in 4x2 tubing all the way down the insides of the frame rails and then cut off the bottom ? any input or pictures ? Ideas ?
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
84burb

Re: how to modify the stock K5 frame to lay out

I'm not familiar with the differences in the blazer frames. However, you are planning to lay frame and tow with it. Even if the frames were identical, that means you will be changing the front x-member, probably moving the trans x-member, chopping up and reinforcing the whole rear of the frame.

Probably not what you want to hear, but... wouldn't it be easier, cleaner, and safer to build a frame from scratch and engineer everything as a total unit?

If not, you might look into getting a C10 pu donor and cut it to make the wheelbase fit. After all, you're cutting the back-end off anyway. This might be the most economical way to go.
84burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
67cheby
67cheby

Re: how to modify the stock K5 frame to lay out

if i had a shop setup with a complete frame table and all of the right jigs i would do that in a heartbeat but i dont , just working out of a buddies garage, i dont have any doubt that i can build it stronger then it was from the factory and not have any safety concerns by doing the reinforcements the the original frame that i am planning on doing, almost the whole frame will be boxed and crossbraced for plenty support !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote