The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #51
C/10 King

Re: Whats The Best Wax Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
I have used Meguairs wax without many issues, but I am in the market for some great wax. Looks like I will need to check out the Wizard brand.

What are people experiences with Mothers products? I know Foose uses them, but he's also getting paid....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
I am a Mothers beliver , but i have used Zimol in the past . I just don't like the meguiers gold paste ( the girls got me a package deal for my birthday one year ) . I recently tried the surf city garage barrier reef wax and was very happy with it . I live in a high humidity area and it still looks good after 3 weeks .
I used Meguair's for over thirty years, Tried Zimol once,the rest of the bottle went in the trash. Now I use Mother's for everything ,and Chip has nothing to do with it.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #52
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Thanks for the info Rene, and great shot of Chip!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #53
C/10 King

Thumbs up Re: Whats The Best Wax Really?

Quote:
Thanks for the info Rene, and great shot of Chip!
You're very welcome.Chip is the coolist,down to earth person,you ever want to meet,I caught him at A show in Modesto Ca. We talked for about 15 minutes. It's funny when I first saw him I called him "Skip"and he laughed,I think that broke the ice.

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #54
tjvending

Where or who has the wizards wax products? Any Stores?

TJ

Last edited by tjvending; 08-08-2009 at 07:30 AM.
tjvending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #55
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvending View Post

TJ
www.wizardsproducts.com Open this up and see their products. They do have different outlets around the country, but I order directly from them for my uses. I buy 3 cases of product at a time and get free shipping and then it lasts me for a longer period. I also sell some to my friends at my cost, which is less than over the counter at most dealers.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #56
sangermike

Last edited by sangermike; 10-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.
sangermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #57
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangermike View Post
after. think about this, how do you polish a ss grill with out getting the compound jamed up in it.
That 300C turned out great!

So what's the secret?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #58
70cst

Bringing back an old thread...I just called Wizard and they were very helpful in explaining their product lines. I ordered Shine Master and Mist-N-Spray. I will soon see how well I like Wizard's Products.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #59
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you are not happy with the Wizards products, then I would be surprised. I use it on my cars and trucks and as you can see from the attached pictures, the product does well. It stands up to all kinds of weather and definitely repels rain and snow, quite well.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #60
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
If you are not happy with the Wizards products, then I would be surprised. I use it on my cars and trucks and as you can see from the attached pictures, the product does well. It stands up to all kinds of weather and definitely repels rain and snow, quite well.

I actually bought their detail package so this way I can try out some of Wizard other products. Thanks again for the info!!

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #61
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvending View Post

TJ
We sell Wizard products. Not on our site right now. We have sold many companies waxes Mothers, Mequiars, 3m, even Geoffrey Bodines waxing frenzy. The main ingredient is still Carnuba Wax. Wax opinions have been debated for years now and for years to come. You will see these guys at the cars shows in the future waxing with the latest and greatest Formula and how theirs is superior. Not trying to be negative but they all spend a lot of money marketing wax. The old mop and glow ploy salesman used to call it.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #62
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
We sell Wizard products. Not on our site right now. We have sold many companies waxes Mothers, Mequiars, 3m, even Geoffrey Bodines waxing frenzy. The main ingredient is still Carnuba Wax. Wax opinions have been debated for years now and for years to come. You will see these guys at the cars shows in the future waxing with the latest and greatest Formula and how theirs is superior. Not trying to be negative but they all spend a lot of money marketing wax. The old mop and glow ploy salesman used to call it.
Thats good to know. I will make a notation in my "Detail" Folder for future purchases.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #63
nollid

My brother is a chemist along with being a car guy so as you can imagine he has looked into this subject a little. He broke it down to me like this, you have two main types of waxes natural and synthetic based. Most "natural" waxes are Carnauba based. Carnauba gives an incredible shine and the wet look that everyone looks for but the problem is that Carnauba in it's pure form is incredibly hard. So any wax that claims that it is 100% Carnauba is actually not. The portion of the product that is actually wax may be 100% Carnauba, the rest are lubricants and other additives that put it into a usable form. Here's where it gets tricky, there are different grades of Carnauba the most common being #1 yellow in the auto polish industry. Most high quality waxes fall into the 25-35% carnauba content range. The problem with these waxes is that carnauba is very sensitive to washing and detergents so it is not very durable.

On the flip side you have synthetic based waxes that provide great durability but in my opinion do not provide quite the shine of a carnauba based wax. There are tons of synthetic polymer based products on the market today some of which are excellent and will provide a very durable long lasting shine.

I guess the bottom line when it comes to waxes is that durability and shine are at the opposite ends of the wax spectrum. You have to determine the application that you are wanting to use it for and experiment and find the product that works the best for you.

Hopefully this clears some things up, I know I'm a wax nerd
nollid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #64
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
You can purchase Wizards from their website, directly. I buy enough each time to get my shipping cost zeroed out. Three boxes of any of their products and they eat the shipping. I then sell my extra stuff to my friends at a little over my cost and we all do well at a cheaper rate. I do shop around, and if there is something that is touted as the hot thing, I will try it to see if it is worth changing over to. So far I am still with Wizards. I even spent some time at a detail seminar that Mequiars presented on a trip that I was on, they lost big time and then they wanted to know who they were up against. I would not tell them, to make sure that they were not too upset.

The carnuba waxes is a definite way things started many years ago, but i don't have the time or the elbow grease to do it that way. There are many grades of carnuba and the Zymol line used to have them all. They sell their basic waxes in places like Walmart at a cost that you will accept, but it is very low in carnuba. Their high speed rated waxes will cost you in the triple digits to buy one small container.

Another company that has come on the market is Surf City and they were one of the sponsors on this year's Hot Rod Power Tour. I have not used their carnuba based products yet, but they are on my work bench as I write.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #65
98gmc

My dad has been using Flynn's cherry wax for years.
He lives near us and goes to all the car show around that we go to.

You can get it off the internet www.flynndist.com
all of his stuff is great
98gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #66
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

After waxing my truck earlier this summer with "Ice" (can't remember the company) I finally got to see how well the water beaded on the paint this past Friday at the Midwest All Truck Nat's. This stuff seemed to work quite well.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #67
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
After waxing my truck earlier this summer with "Ice" (can't remember the company) I finally got to see how well the water beaded on the paint this past Friday at the Midwest All Truck Nat's. This stuff seemed to work quite well.
Turtle Wax

I haven't tried it yet. I like the synthetics.

Mothers FX Synwax is pretty good stuff.

Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #68
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollid View Post
My brother is a chemist along with being a car guy so as you can imagine he has looked into this subject a little. He broke it down to me like this, you have two main types of waxes natural and synthetic based. Most "natural" waxes are Carnauba based. Carnauba gives an incredible shine and the wet look that everyone looks for but the problem is that Carnauba in it's pure form is incredibly hard. So any wax that claims that it is 100% Carnauba is actually not. The portion of the product that is actually wax may be 100% Carnauba, the rest are lubricants and other additives that put it into a usable form. Here's where it gets tricky, there are different grades of Carnauba the most common being #1 yellow in the auto polish industry. Most high quality waxes fall into the 25-35% carnauba content range. The problem with these waxes is that carnauba is very sensitive to washing and detergents so it is not very durable.

On the flip side you have synthetic based waxes that provide great durability but in my opinion do not provide quite the shine of a carnauba based wax. There are tons of synthetic polymer based products on the market today some of which are excellent and will provide a very durable long lasting shine.

I guess the bottom line when it comes to waxes is that durability and shine are at the opposite ends of the wax spectrum. You have to determine the application that you are wanting to use it for and experiment and find the product that works the best for you.

Hopefully this clears some things up, I know I'm a wax nerd
Totally agree, carnauba gives paint more depth and warmth ....it's all i use for my dually which only sees about 500 miles a year (primarily weekend cruising and shows).....and never gets near any water ever....just cal dust mop and if something is stuck to the paint ...claybar.

Daily drivers can get much more lasting shine with sealants ....but most agree that they have more of a "plastic" look and seem to just be sitting on the surface without much depth.

One thing to consider for max shine is BEFORE you apply the wax the paint should already be smooth and glossy ...this is polishing. Don't expect to achieve a show quality shine by applying wax to a surface that is not properly prepared....

One trick that show only vehicles use is a hand glaze before wax ..or sometimes just glaze applied to a perfectly polished surface...one of the original and still my fav is meguires #7 (show car glaze) it has great filling properties for very faint swirls or slight defects. It is not machine compatible except for orbital but if your surface is prepped right its simple to apply by hand just dont let it dry before polishing, cause it will cake up badly.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #69
old_1966_GMC

there also sumthing called snaek oil well that what the old bass said at the shop this stuff was no joke it'll make you wanna put some glasses on
old_1966_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #70
deatonk67

i have been using meguiar's quick wax for years. i use it on my red and black boat, my orange 70, and my 04 gray GMC. it always turns out great and last for about 2 month. its fast to do and looks good when done
deatonk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #71
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Check out gator glo!!! That stuff is amazing!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #72
chris mc bride

MY favorite would be Liquid Glass.I like mothers and Mequires both. I found a black wax especaily for black vehicles made by turtle wax that is awsome on my 88 ss Monte Carlo thats needs painting pretty bad. This stuff helps hide minor scratches very well and no swirl marks.
As satated Liquid Glass is my wax of choice nothing leaves slicker finish(IMO).Goes on quick and comes off real easy. Seems to last for 5 or 6 heavy rains before it looses some of the beading.But since its so easy to apply I dont mind waxing car cpl times a year.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #73
GMC1965

Iv been detailing for years and it all depends on your paint. There is no "best paint" is it a metalic or a s/s? For a metallic a synthetic is definitely the way to go, A caranuba mutes the metallic flakes. As for putting Synthetics on a s/s it lasts a long time, but really lacks to pop the paint. A Pure Caranuba is better suited. When it all comes down normal people do not buy 100$ wax. Therefor I will not recommend it. I use meguiars yellow wax on my s/s and it does amazing. It competes with 300$ waxes for sure. For a synthetic I would recommend pinnical or the new Ultimate wax by meguires. Remember polishing before the wax really helps with adhesion(sythetics are delicate and need this) as well as making the paint pop and removing minor blemishes. That being said this is what I use on my daily car(I detail every two weeks therefor my paint is very good shape and is better then show shine)

1. Wash with quality car soap( no dish wash)
2. Dry off with your preferred method (mine is microfiber)
3. Tape the car or truck to prevent splatter and stains on trim.
4. Clay bar to remove adhesion and clean anything that gets stuck in paint also restores a glass like touch.
5. I follow up with a wax cleaner again use your pref brand
6. I use a polish (real polish not a oil type)
7. Oil based polish
8. sealer or glaze
9. 3 coats of preferred wax or sealant
10. If using sealent in step 9, you CAN follow up with a caranuba for the caranuba shine but the longitivity of sealent. You can NOT put the sealent back on over the caranuba. Sealent is very sensitive and will not adhear to paint that has any grime/caranuba. I myself use sealent and top it with a caranuba.

My paint stands out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post5337863
GMC1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #74
longbed67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC1965 View Post
Iv been detailing for years and it all depends on your paint. There is no "best paint" is it a metalic or a s/s? For a metallic a synthetic is definitely the way to go, A caranuba mutes the metallic flakes. As for putting Synthetics on a s/s it lasts a long time, but really lacks to pop the paint. A Pure Caranuba is better suited. When it all comes down normal people do not buy 100$ wax. Therefor I will not recommend it. I use meguiars yellow wax on my s/s and it does amazing. It competes with 300$ waxes for sure. For a synthetic I would recommend pinnical or the new Ultimate wax by meguires. Remember polishing before the wax really helps with adhesion(sythetics are delicate and need this) as well as making the paint pop and removing minor blemishes. That being said this is what I use on my daily car(I detail every two weeks therefor my paint is very good shape and is better then show shine)

1. Wash with quality car soap( no dish wash)
2. Dry off with your preferred method (mine is microfiber)
3. Tape the car or truck to prevent splatter and stains on trim.
4. Clay bar to remove adhesion and clean anything that gets stuck in paint also restores a glass like touch.
5. I follow up with a wax cleaner again use your pref brand
6. I use a polish (real polish not a oil type)
7. Oil based polish
8. sealer or glaze
9. 3 coats of preferred wax or sealant
10. If using sealent in step 9, you CAN follow up with a caranuba for the caranuba shine but the longitivity of sealent. You can NOT put the sealent back on over the caranuba. Sealent is very sensitive and will not adhear to paint that has any grime/caranuba. I myself use sealent and top it with a caranuba.

My paint stands out.
Never have understood as to why one would want to go back to back coats of wax where one coat is applied buffed off and yet another applied and buffed and a third applied and buffed off... please explain as to why you do this...

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #75
GMC1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
Never have understood as to why one would want to go back to back coats of wax where one coat is applied buffed off and yet another applied and buffed and a third applied and buffed off... please explain as to why you do this...
Sure, Applying many coats of wax has many benefits. Layering waxes is a good way to enhance the depth with sealants. Many folks with zaino are into crazy layering. I mean up to 12 coats.... I see no benefit with that many but many swear by it. With a synthetic you will see a difference in gloss. A synthetic will harden and cure on your paint, not like a wax siting on your car. When applying many coats its recommended that you allow it to cure for 12-24hours. Its like spraying coats of clearcoat and waiting for it to cure before the next coat, adding gloss each spray. For average users 2 coats is enough, it ensures even coverage everywere and ensures you did not miss anything. Laying caranuba is common for again coverage and the fact caranuba fills in scratches. Any more then 3 is overkill for a daily. There is no cure time for caranuba over for it to haze. Then wipe and proform 2nd coat. The benefit to layering a caranuba over a sealant provides the gloss/pop/lasting of a sealant while having the richness and depth of the caranuba. Again no sealants over top of caranuba.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post5337863
GMC1965 is offline   Reply With Quote