The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #76
67chevy1series

Re: Mulk's 8-Lugger

lookin good!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #77
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

any more updates on this beast???
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #78
Mulk

Actually yes..... Just haven't download any photos, and been busy with the kids starting back to school.

I got valves, compressor, tank, and switches wired/mounted. Put the gauge cluster put back in, and cleaned-up the rats-nest of wires under the dash. The last few days have been devoted to wiring mounting and wiring the new a/c system, as well as the electric fans and trinary switch. CONFUSING!!

Hopefully I'll fire the monster by Tuesday!

I'll try to post some photos in the morning
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #79
67chevy1series

well its monday hows it lookin?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #80
Mulk

It's actually coming along. I got the after-market a/c from Southern Air mounted, so I could plumb the heater. A/c hoses aren't done, but it's cooling-off, so that can wait.

Topped-off all the fluids, and fired the beast on open headers.... Loud, but awesome.

Unfortunately the digital display for my air pressure was bad, and I had to send it back. But on a good note, Chassis Tech is exchanging without any questions, and the new one will be here tomorrow. Yuri from the company has been GREAT! This is my first bagged project, and he has guided me along the way. Great customer service, and fast shipping.

Switches are working fine, but I haven't aired-up due to not nowing pressures.

Here's some photos of the valves and compressor location. I started with the Plug and Play set-up, but it was just to big to mount, and hide. So I pulled-out the compressor, and cut the box down. Then did a little tweakin' and fabbin' so I could protect the valves and wiring. I mounted everything behind the left rear tire. Came-out pretty clean.

Then I tossed the tank under the second seat. Just checking clearence in this shot.

So while I'm waiting for the display, I decided it was time to work on exhaust. I was gonna have the local shop fab it, but money it tight (non-existent). So I bought a 10 foot stick of 2 1/2 pipe, and decided to "recycle" some of my old system, using the flowmasters, and a few of the bends.

One of my helpers...

I'm running it between the frame, and rocker. Then I'm gonna have it dump-out of the rocker, just ahead of the wheel opening.

It's hard to tell in this shot, but from the header it goes under the frame, where it starts to kick-up. So everything is above the frame, for that day that I "man-up" and really lay this beast out.....

That's what I've been up to for the last couple weeks. Heading-out in the next hour to work a little O/T So not working on the Burb today

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #81
67chevy1series

come do my exhaust!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #82
Mulk

Thanks Rick..... I still have the passenger side to do. Hopefully it goes as smooth. It's nice having the all the bends from the old exhaust to work with. The 10 feet of new pipe was $45..... So I'm happy doing a little extra work, to save $350-$400. Plus it's gonna be super easy to remove if I have to fill any leaks I may have missed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #83
Mt Man Chad

Looking very nice!!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #84
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

thats the same way my exhaust is ran but all the way out the back
Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #85
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

bump for updates
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #86
Mulk

I was up in Carson City last week teaching at the Academy, so didn't get anything done. But I've been doing little things here and there since getting back.

Got firewall welded-up. Which I'm very happy about. Was having issues with electric fans and relay not kicking on before temp pegged. So i bought the adjustable Hayden temp unit/fan switch. Turned-out my temp wasn't pegging. I bought a new sending unit for the factory temp gauge, and it turns-out they are off by 25-30 degrees. I found a correctly calibrated sending unit from a Corvette Specialty shop for $22. I'll post link when I get home. So old fan switch worked fine, I just never let engine run long enough to find out because I got freaked when I saw the gauge. Oh well. The Hayden is a better set-up.

Still having issues with the digital sending units for my air pressures. So I sent the entire unit back, and I'm waiting for the replacement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #87
Mulk

I've been getting a few little things done here and there, while waiting for my pressure gauges.

The hood hinges on this beast appeared to be the originals. I had changed the springs a while back, but the hinges were loose, and the rear of the hood woud never sit-down all the way. So being that I'm broke, I decided to attempt to tighten them back-up. Falling back on my days as a blacksmith farrier, it was a pretty simple task. Just a matter of heating the rivets up with a torch, and spreading some metal on the old anvil.

Worked great, but this on rivet was the main culpret for the hood not sucking-down towards the rear, and I could get to the back-side of it to spread it out...

So with a couple measurements, and the drill press, I was able to get to it with a descent size punch.

Now the hinges are tight as can be (maybe too tight), and all cleaned-up.

I'm not gonna get a chance to paint this for a while, so I just rolled-on some Rustolium in the engine compartment to protect the new patches on the firewall, until I blow it apart for paint. I also moved the washer bottle in the void where the blower motor used to reside. Looks like it was meant to be. Cleans-up the engine compartment, but still has a "is that stock" look to it.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #88
Mulk

The beast seemed to be running a tad rough. So I checked all my plug connections, and the freakin' dizzy rotated without any effort. I guess I didn't tighten it up after the last adjustment. So I did a little tuning, and adjusted the timing back to where it belongs.

And low and behold, she runs like a champ again..... And sounds pretty mean too. Here's just a quick clip taken with my phone. Quality is ok, but it gives you an idea. Should be able to click on the image.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #89
Splash4195

Nice truck! Love the suicide rear!
Splash4195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #90
kev2809
low n' slo

dont see how i missed this one....diggin that suicide door!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #91
Mulk

Thanks... It's getting closer to being back on the road, but a LONG way from done.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #92
Mulk

I had a bunch more ink pounded into my back over the weekend, so my motivation to get under the Burb was lacking to say the least. But after 3 days of great weather, I couldn't take it any more. I figured I could tackle something that wasn't too demanding.

Since upgrading the radiator and fans, I wanted to cover the gap above the radiator and support, and help keep the air directed through the radiator as much as possible. I know I can buy what I needed, but I wanted to try to make it, being that it's pretty basic.

I found an old piece of metal (nice bit o' surface rust), that seemed heavy enough for the task, and commenced to cutting and bending the desired shape.

I don't have a metal brake (but I do have a mess, that you can see in the background), so I pinched the piece with some box-tube I had around, and used a little elbow grease.

Basic shape completed....

Cleaned it up a bit, drilled some holes, and put it in place....

I just need to tack some upper radiator mounts to the back-side, smooth it out, and it'll be ready for paint. Not perfect, but the price sure is right

Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #93
Average Joe

Looks great! I especially like the price.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #94
kev2809
low n' slo

nice work!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #95
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Looks good.... what, now speed holes???

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #96
Mulk

Thanks, only put a couple hours into it. If I spent $50 at harbor freight, and bought a sheet metal brake, it would be perfect. But this will do for now.

And no. No speed holes. You know how brutal the summers get here in Vegas. I want all that air directed thru the radiator. Anyway, this beast is still geared to pull a house off it's foundation. So the term speed, won't be used to describe my driving pattern
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #97
19Hoosierdaddies68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
I got a little more accomplished over the past week, but it was in between family being in town for my daughters big "Pre-China Tour" orchestra performance.

More parts keep arriving daily, so it's hard to keep focussed on what needs to get done. But I was able to get the front pretty much squared away to my liking. I never planned to lay frame, just wanted to get closer to the earth. So I'm happy with the front, and I'm about to get everything bolted into place. I decided against the lower mounting "plates" and made some cups to fill the lower spring pocket. Unfortunately I didn't take photo prior to mock-up, but I'll post some when I take everything back apart.

Oh yeah. My wheels showed-up. Keeping this beast 8 Lug has allowed me to take this in a whole new territory, venturing into the off-road world.....

Fronts are 20x8.5 and rears are 22x9.5

I was also able to get the new radiator and flex-a-lite fans installed. I had to narrow the radiator mounts, but it went in like a charm...

Slowly but surely, one piece at a time, and it'll get there
Hey Mulk,

I was wondering if you could share the back spacing on these rims?

Fronts are 20x8.5 =
rears are 22x9.5 =

I don't have a Suburban but am planning to keep my C-20 8 Lug as well and get it low. Not sure if I will go aftermarket rims but would like to check out my options. I think I am starting with a 5/5 static drop and eventually bags too.

Thanks,

Jerry
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #98
Bigblueburban

Wow lots of stuff done since last time. O so #1 I love the wheels they look great, #2 that is an awesome cheap way to make a metal brake, I'm stealing that. That radiator support piece is a great idea I love the way it looks, also stealing that haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigblueburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #99
Mulk

Thanks for the positive words.....

I got the beast out from hibernation, and made a shake-down run around the block. Felt good to be back behind the wheel again.

Jerry.. I'll have to pull the wheels and get the offset for you. So give me a few, and I'll get back to you
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #100
67cheby
67cheby

Dig the Suburban !! i like the trim on it !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote