The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
ChevyRacefan

Do they still make red oxide high build primer?

Because of the vehicles theme, and the time period it would have been IF, it was a thing of that era.

I plan on going to metal, etch prime, sealer, then high build, but rather the 70'80's red oxide color.
Or am I stuck trying to tint the standard gray primer to look somewhat like it.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
AMERICAN PICK-UP

Re: Do they still make red oxide high build primer?

https://www.jegs.com/i/KBS-Coatings/191/8491/10002/-1 has some......
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
Because of the vehicles theme, and the time period it would have been IF, it was a thing of that era.

I plan on going to metal, etch prime, sealer, then high build, but rather the 70'80's red oxide color.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
AMERICAN PICK-UP

amazon has it by the gallon......krylon makes it.... part number 1982....
Quote:

Old 02-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
theastronaut

SPI epoxy comes in red oxide color and goes straight over metal without the need for etch primer or any other sealer. You can mix it and let it sit overnight and it'll thicken and work almost like a high build primer. If you reduce it 50% it works as sealer before spraying paint. It's the best single product I've seen in my 15 years of bodywork.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:06 AM   #5
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
SPI epoxy comes in red oxide color and goes straight over metal without the need for etch primer or any other sealer. You can mix it and let it sit overnight and it'll thicken and work almost like a high build primer. If you reduce it 50% it works as sealer before spraying paint. It's the best single product I've seen in my 15 years of bodywork.
Thanks but no thanks. And I will leave it at that, as I don't want or need the SPI fan bois , getting offended
Old 02-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
64chevmn

SPI red primer works well!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
theastronaut

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks. And I will leave it at that, as I don't want or need the SPI fan bois , getting offended
If you had a problem with SPI you should call and talk to the owner, he’ll make it right.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
If you had a problem with SPI you should call and talk to the owner, he’ll make it right.
Again. I will just say ,thanks, but no thanks.
I know what the painter was told by the owner, and as seen as that painter has won more than a few top awards for his work.
Ya, I will just move on. and skip that option .
Old 02-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
nsb29

Quote:
I know what the painter was told by the owner, and as seen as that painter has won more than a few top awards for his work.
I used PPG primer at 500 and something dollars a gallon for years but SPI is a better product and a better price. if you have a complaint enlighten us anybody can be a jerk
Old 02-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #10
ChevyRacefan

Why is it when a person clearly states he/she has no interest in using that brand, every post is non stop about nothing other than it.
This thread is a waste of time.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
theastronaut

It is a waste of time to use etch primer and other outdated materials when epoxy exists.

You could use PPG dplf epoxy, it comes in red oxide color and you won’t need etch primer to use it. It’s also thin, doesn’t cover very well, doesn’t build enough to fill anything, has zero uv resistance, isn't sandable, and costs 3x more than SPI per sprayable gallon.

If your painter is recommending etch primer and old school lacquer(?) red oxide over modern epoxy then I’d be looking for a new painter. It’s possibly to win awards with outdated materials but the durability isn’t there.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
It is a waste of time to use etch primer and other outdated materials when epoxy exists.

You could use PPG dplf epoxy, it comes in red oxide color and you won’t need etch primer to use it. It’s also thin, doesn’t cover very well, doesn’t build enough to fill anything, has zero uv resistance, isn't sandable, and costs 3x more than SPI per sprayable gallon.

If your painter is recommending etch primer and old school lacquer(?) red oxide over modern epoxy then I’d be looking for a new painter. It’s possibly to win awards with outdated materials but the durability isn’t there.
Some things can't be used, because of the era of the Item/theme.
Stated this in the 1st post.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Jrainman

The closest oxide primer you are going to get from the 40s to the 70s era is made By GSI coatings and also goes by the name know by the military restore guys Gillespie coatings , I think its there 90 series coating you can check out the specs on there website , and they are very good and durable coating at reasonable costs but of course they will not have lead and chrome in the specs as the original oxide primers of the 40s - 70s . I have never used there Oxcide primers but I use many other of there paints and they are very good.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:31 AM   #14
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Agreed 100% ChevyRacefan! I rarely come back here because it's all about selling SPI as the cure all... next thing you know, some hack will start espousing the virtues of Feather Fill spray filler as a perfect HB primer citing many awards and accolades... (unproven awards and accolades BTW)

I don't know if I can help with your request for red oxide primer, but Rustoleum Industrial Coatings have some ... I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it might be worth a look. Beware it is a primer and will chalk over time as it's designed to be top coated.

Good luck with your project!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Old 02-06-2021, 01:27 AM   #15
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Agreed 100% ChevyRacefan! I rarely come back here because it's all about selling SPI as the cure all... next thing you know, some hack will start espousing the virtues of Feather Fill spray filler as a perfect HB primer citing many awards and accolades... (unproven awards and accolades BTW)
Ironically the epoxy/polyester spray filler primer combo is what pretty much all of the top body/paint shops are using on top level restorations and custom builds. Ever heard of the Ridler award? Those cars are bodyworked using epoxy and polyester spray filler as primers.

I'll gladly be labeled a "hack" if I'm using the same type of products those guys are using to achieve the results they get.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #16
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Ironically the epoxy/polyester spray filler primer combo is what pretty much all of the top body/paint shops are using on top level restorations and custom builds. Ever heard of the Ridler award? Those cars are bodyworked using epoxy and polyester spray filler as primers.

I'll gladly be labeled a "hack" if I'm using the same type of products those guys are using to achieve the results they get.
DOES NOT MATTER
If you bothered to read my first post, Because of the era I am after with this, and it will be judged on it looking the part.
A spray filler would be a no go, so will any of the brand you just can't stop yourself about.
The vehicle has to look the part of a 1970-75 , Race vehicle in testing form, NOT fully painted with all the sponsor crap and color coat.
They never were show car straight so no need for a spray filler . The materials your brand is made from are a no go because it was not USED.
Not that it matter I would not use it again, but that is imaterial here.
I post in FIRST POST. that this is for a project that needs to fit an era.
Pro painters would not use either product on a vehicle that needs to be ERA CORRECT. As doing so , kills it's value. In this case it is respect of the era and it's history not so much it's dollar value. Same reason I just don't have the vehicle wrapped, And I easily could.
So please if you can't stop being a door to door salesman for that brand and product that can't be used because you don't understand the context of ERA CORRECT. pass this thread, please. sorry if that is rude. but I made it clear at the start this is a project that needs to fit an era theme/use/build.
Same reason as much as I'd like to, I can't use coated headers, and other parts that were not used or available back then, that are now.

Last edited by ChevyRacefan; 02-06-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:01 AM   #17
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post

I don't know if I can help with your request for red oxide primer, but Rustoleum Industrial Coatings have some ... I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it might be worth a look. Beware it is a primer and will chalk over time as it's designed to be top coated.

Good luck with your project!
Thanks,
This is a build/project that even if I had no opinion of that brand, I could not use ,as that material was not used back then.
What they used in that era is what it will have.
I wonder if these guys would paint a 1 million dollar + Duesenberg , with the stuff they endorse . Knowing doing so will kill it's value no matter how good it looks.

This build is a what if, set in an era before all this slick sand, and poly/etc paint coatings.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #18
nsb29

Quote:

If you’re going to be a hack you have to be hacked number two he’s been calling me a hack for years just, offhand I would say his statement was directly meant for me i’ve heard it all before from him
Old 02-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #19
nsb29

Quote:
Thanks,
This is a build/project that even if I had no opinion of that brand, I could not use ,as that material was not used back then.
What they used in that era is what it will have.
I wonder if these guys would paint a 1 million dollar + Duesenberg , with the stuff they endorse . Knowing doing so will kill it's value no matter how good it looks.

This build is a what if, set in an era before all this slick sand, and poly/etc paint coatings.
I think you’re just looking for an argument you were looking for an alternative to red oxide primer and that’s what you got they don’t make red oxide primer anymore so no matter what you use your not going to be era Correct as you say
In the 70s if my memory serves me correctly lacquer was the most commonly used primer and it was available in red or black
Old 02-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #20
theastronaut

Quote:
DOES NOT MATTER
If you bothered to read my first post, Because of the era I am after with this, and it will be judged on it looking the part.
A spray filler would be a no go, so will any of the brand you just can't stop yourself about.
The vehicle has to look the part of a 1970-75 , Race vehicle in testing form, NOT fully painted with all the sponsor crap and color coat.
They never were show car straight so no need for a spray filler . The materials your brand is made from are a no go because it was not USED.
Not that it matter I would not use it again, but that is imaterial here.
I post in FIRST POST. that this is for a project that needs to fit an era.
Pro painters would not use either product on a vehicle that needs to be ERA CORRECT. As doing so , kills it's value. In this case it is respect of the era and it's history not so much it's dollar value. Same reason I just don't have the vehicle wrapped, And I easily could.
So please if you can't stop being a door to door salesman for that brand and product that can't be used because you don't understand the context of ERA CORRECT. pass this thread, please. sorry if that is rude. but I made it clear at the start this is a project that needs to fit an era theme/use/build.
Same reason as much as I'd like to, I can't use coated headers, and other parts that were not used or available back then, that are now.

Your first post didn't make it clear that you were stuck on using period correct materials like lacquer primer, and that modern materials were not allowed. Just that they needed to be red oxide color. You even said "high build primer" in your first post, which in 2021 almost exclusively means 2k urethane or poly primer, and I don't think anyone was using sealer in the 70's either. You then only said that you didn't want to use SPI, you still never said that you couldn't use modern primer until you last couple of post.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #21
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I think you’re just looking for an argument you were looking for an alternative to red oxide primer and that’s what you got they don’t make red oxide primer anymore so no matter what you use your not going to be era Correct as you say
In the 70s if my memory serves me correctly lacquer was the most commonly used primer and it was available in red or black
Thanks for your reply.
Why you think I am just looking for an argument, because I stated in the first post ERA correct. and the fan bois product/brand does not fit that.
I have been around the motorsports in question for 50 years and know what was used and by who(teams, owners) back then, in the era this project will be built as.
I asked about one thing and only get replies about other products.
Poly based paint was not used, was not part of that era. PERIOD .
Thanks for your reply. I guess if I am looking for product that doesn't fit the SPI product line . I'm looking for an argument. your opinion.
Good day.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #22
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Your first post didn't make it clear that you were stuck on using period correct materials like lacquer primer, and that modern materials were not allowed. Just that they needed to be red oxide color. You even said "high build primer" in your first post, which in 2021 almost exclusively means 2k urethane or poly primer, and I don't think anyone was using sealer in the 70's either. You then only said that you didn't want to use SPI, you still never said that you couldn't use modern primer until you last couple of post.
Let me help you.
the 70'80's red oxide color.

Seems straight forward to me.

Thanks for your reply. If you don't know what is avail . in what I am looking for. say so.
Closed Thread