The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #26
leegreen

Re: Yet another gas tank issue/question

fauxgt used 50's chev car tank above, strap mounted.

I used a 50 or 51 ford car tank. Side fill on left, Strap mounted, top is flush with top of frame, bottom is about 3 inches below frame. Couple inches between tank flange and frame rails on each side.
I used a late model steel box floor and the cross braces sit on top of frame rails, depending how you do your box floor you might get a tank like this almost flush with the bottom of frame. Your crossmember would have to come out of course.

I'm just in the process of modifying a receiver hitch to sit up behind the bumper and provide a little extra protection from being rear ended.

I can measure the tank if that is of interest. Not sure the capacity, it is not a huge tank.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #27
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
fauxgt used 50's chev car tank above, strap mounted.

I used a 50 or 51 ford car tank. Side fill on left, Strap mounted, top is flush with top of frame, bottom is about 3 inches below frame. Couple inches between tank flange and frame rails on each side.
I used a late model steel box floor and the cross braces sit on top of frame rails, depending how you do your box floor you might get a tank like this almost flush with the bottom of frame. Your crossmember would have to come out of course.

I'm just in the process of modifying a receiver hitch to sit up behind the bumper and provide a little extra protection from being rear ended.

I can measure the tank if that is of interest. Not sure the capacity, it is not a huge tank.
I went back out to the shop with yet another idea. I've found an aluminum tank that is 12 inches deep, 38 inches wide, and 8 1/2 inches high. If I build a steel box like you are suggesting out of square steel tube and bolt it securely on top of the frame in front of and behind the tank and between the "C" of the frame, it can double as my replacement crossmember(s) and a frame for supporting the tank. By sliding the tank into the "C" of the frame and then sitting the tank on top of the 2" by 2" square tube, the tank would only be about 2 - 2 1/2 inches below the frame and far enough back from the diff.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #28
fauXGT

Just ran into this old post. Maybe a bit too late, but here is a pic saved.
Attached Images

'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote