The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
44boggers

Where can I find this part??

Maybe I am typing it in wrong, but I can not seem to find this air flap anywhere online. Mine is split all the way down the middle so basically it is useless.

Thanks
Attached Images

44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: Where can I find this part??

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...s/vacuum-parts
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
44boggers

THANks but i am referring to the plastic part. Not the actuator.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

Can you tell us what year truck you have and where exactly the plastic part goes? Is it something to do with the a/c ductwork? I can't tell from the flat plastic what it might be.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
44boggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Can you tell us what year truck you have and where exactly the plastic part goes? Is it something to do with the a/c ductwork? I can't tell from the flat plastic what it might be.
Yeah sorry. Its an 83 c10 with AC. This part goes on the pass side under the hood cowl.

I believe it allows fresh air in once vacuum is applied to the actuator. The actuator should push open the flap. But with my piece the flap is split open where it should "pivot" so basically its useless.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
44boggers

Any one else have an idea on where to find a replacement part?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
andyh1956

Is there enough material left on the broken side that you could fasten another piece to it?
I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway, they don't block much air on Recirculate to make a big difference!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Mr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44boggers View Post
Maybe I am typing it in wrong, but I can not seem to find this air flap anywhere online. Mine is split all the way down the middle so basically it is useless.

Thanks
Clean it very well and plastic weld it. A lot of these plastic parts are unavailable and the only way to fix the problem is repair the part. Find the compatible plastic and weld it in. It's probably PP plastic, but could be something else. Start viewing YouTube videos on plastic welding to get a good idea of what's needed. Sometimes just a simple soldering iron with the correct tip will do the job. I repaired a radiator shroud on the '97 K2500 I have with this technique.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
Mr_Rich

And I add that you can't hurt it any worse than it already is...
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
44boggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
Clean it very well and plastic weld it. A lot of these plastic parts are unavailable and the only way to fix the problem is repair the part. Find the compatible plastic and weld it in. It's probably PP plastic, but could be something else. Start viewing YouTube videos on plastic welding to get a good idea of what's needed. Sometimes just a simple soldering iron with the correct tip will do the job. I repaired a radiator shroud on the '97 K2500 I have with this technique.
This was my first thought actually, just to plastic weld it back together. But I was thinking how that section still needed movement and maybe welding it would restrict the movement of the flap making it useless. Maybe I stitch weld it and use silicon in between which will allow it to flex.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Any chance you could use a small piano hinge on it?.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
83GMCK2500

Can try searching by part number, might find one or be able to use it for reference when contacting places:

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getbigpage?pageid=58273
Attached Images

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Wgesnerjr

Since its the hinge part that broke, any repair will have to be flexible. piano hinge is a good idea but it may rust since it's out under the cowl. I might try making a hinge out of vinyl from a fabric store. once glued on each side, it should keep it in place, give the flexibity to open and close, and not rust in the long term.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
44boggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
Since its the hinge part that broke, any repair will have to be flexible. piano hinge is a good idea but it may rust since it's out under the cowl. I might try making a hinge out of vinyl from a fabric store. once glued on each side, it should keep it in place, give the flexibity to open and close, and not rust in the long term.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I dont have much time right now to get on to fixing this. But when I do I will post back up.

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #15
LT7A

A piece of innertube and staples?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #16
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Those AC enclosure assemblies are quite the trick to restore back to original function! I’ve restored several and yes parts are very tough to obtain. I’ve even thought about creating a seperate business offering restored AC assemblies but the cost and labor to do one I’m sure is more than 90% of people would pay for-and the 10% of those who would isnt enough to make it worthwhile. I suggest some good ole fashioned junkyard time taking a few apart until you find a good one for parts. Again, Suburbans make great donor trucks!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
Big Blue

Hay 44, I sent you a PM.Do you still need the flapper for the outside air ? I was taking parts off a scrapper truck I removed the piece. If you still need it I will send it to you just pay shipping.

See Ya John
Attached Images

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Big Blue

Since I did not get any response back from 44boggers, I am offer the same deal to anyone else. It is free except you just pay the shipping cost.

John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #19
44boggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Since I did not get any response back from 44boggers, I am offer the same deal to anyone else. It is free except you just pay the shipping cost.

John
Hey John

Sorry I have been offline. I did not get a pm from you. But yes I am interested in your ac part.

Please send me another pm with some details.

Thanks buddy

Paul
Old 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
Big Blue

PM Sent

Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #21
Big Blue

Hello 44boggers, I sent you a PM. Package was sent out today, You should get it by Monday the 25th.

Thanks John