The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 AM   #26
whitedog76

Re: installing a V8 in a 53 with stock suspension?

I've read in numerous places that the 265 or Corvette style manifolds generally takes care of the clearance problems.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #27
Volfandt

If one researches all the various V8 AD installs you'll see quite a few differing strategies in play. From dirt cheap to big $$$'s and all in between.
The main determiner IMHO is how high one can mount the SBC without negatively effecting the engine/trans alignment with the rearend. Ideally you want as straight an alignment as possible. Too extreme of an angle will probably eat up the U joints, cause vibrations and weaken the trucks ride.
A high mounted engine will get the mechanical fan closer to the center of the radiator where it will do it's best job off cooling. Having enough room to mount a clutch fan/ flex fan AND shroud will give you the best of all cooling worlds but unfortunately it's not easy to accomplish.

IMHO the best way to approach a V8 swap into an AD is to remove the front clip, mount the tranny of choice to the engine of choice and maneuver the engine/tranny around in the engine bay using trial and error to find the highest spot one can mount the engine that will minimize the alignment angle to the rear, clear the steering box and also minimize the firewall/toe board cutting for the tranny's bellhousing clearance.

Keep in mind that you need to have a fingers width of clearance between the SBC's dist or LS's intake setup and the firewall. Many folks will cut that section of the firewall out and weld in a dished section to gain more clearance in order to move the engine back further. The further back you can move the engine the more clearance you'll have to mount a clutch fan or flex fan up front. That is if the engine is high enough LOL.
Once you get that figured out then you can move on to fitting exhaust manifolds and/or headers.
The 55/56 265 exh's are doable but be advised the ports of the manifolds will be smaller than the ports on the heads, by as much as 1/8". If you're OK with that then they "may" work without moving the steering box out. You can also try Rams horn style which some originals will have smaller ports too but most will port match. They center dump which "may" not clear the steering box but the runners are above the spark plugs which may help with the clearance. Some later model OEM exh manifolds dump to the rear which may work. Some route the runners above the spark plugs and others route below. Depending upon how high your engine is can determine which route will clear.
There's more to it but thats the cliff notes version on the basic fitment.

You can avoid alot of fitment issues by going with an electric fan and shroud setup and one of the retrofit power steering kits that utilize the 70's era power steering boxes. They mount out in front of the front wheels and use a couple U jointed steering shafts to connect to either a cut and modified stock steering column or an aftermarket steering column but the expense of your V8 swap will increase exponentially.

Good news is theres kits and know how to go about any method. It all depends on ones skill level, having the proper tools and lots of $$$'s.

Good luck
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
Marshwater

Thank you all much, I am beginning to see that it won't be a walk in the park but I was thinking that raising the motor up might help me with the steering box issue. We will just have to wait and see what it looks like once we set the engine in with tranny. I have 5 pictures of Kahoy's post that shows the 265 manifold, which has the 2 holes for the generator for 56 chevy, it looks like it clears the steering box. That particular exhaust manifold dumps forward of the steering box. Thanks again, any other info please send my way, thanks.
Marshwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #29
whitedog76

I've also seen several posts with guys using 70's or 80's Caprice manifolds. They are rear dump and seem to clear the steering box.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #30
Marshwater

My truck is a 47 chevy, stock front axle. putting 350 with 700r4 tranny. Yes I have heard about using caprice manifolds. also 55 or 56 chevy 265's. Have you heard of any cutting the floor board to let the engine set higher? It would put the engine closer to center of radiator, I think. But I don't know what this would do to the rest of the drivetrain alignment. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #31
whitedog76

I’m not doing a small block swap, but I’ve been tossing around the idea of raising the driveline in my project. The engine I’m using has a very deep oil pan and I have some clearance issues with my IFS.

With a small block, I can see some firewall clearance issues, depending on how far back you mount it. There’s always the set-back firewall or even the wheelbarrow firewall method to fix it. The next issue would be a trans tunnel. There are some universal tunnel kits and some made for AD trucks. I was out doing some measuring on my truck, I’ve found that a Radio Flyer wagon is the perfect width to go over the floor cutout on AD trucks, just a thought anyhow. My truck is a 3600, so I have a crossmember where the carrier bearing mounts. I will probably have to trim or remove it if I go the tunneled route.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #32
Marshwater

Actually I have a 47 Chevy truck 1/2 ton, need to talk with anyone who has installed a 350 engine with 700R4 tranny. Someone who has successfully did this without moving steering box or offsetting engine. Could it be that raising the engine up a few inches would clear steering box? Any help appreciated.