The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
iluvmy72

how will I do the timing?

Ok...taking a 5.7 vortec engine and putting a tbi intake and distributer on it, how do I time the sucker?
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
FMBL

Re: how will I do the timing?

Go to post #8 I used this when I installed the engine in my 99. Wasn't as bad as it seemed. I have never had a code come up nor have I had anyone use a scan tool.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=298673

Never mind I re-read and I'm not sure this will help sorry.
99 2dr 2wd Tahoe (sold 8/31/2012)
07 Yukon SLT
09 G8 GT
FMBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
Go to post #8 I used this when I installed the engine in my 99. Wasn't as bad as it seemed. I have never had a code come up nor have I had anyone use a scan tool.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=298673

Never mind I re-read and I'm not sure this will help sorry.
Lol...I was just about to ask why you chose a tbi in a 99?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
mountie

Here ya go.........
Attached Images

mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
speedygonzales

Timing is the least of your worries.

The bigger question is what PCM are you going to use?????? Vortecs are MAF controlled, the TBI I think was speed/density. Though I'm not sure about the TBI. You need to look into it.

You do know the TBI engines were way below the Vortec on power?

Not to mention the possible fuel pressure differences. Vortecs run at 60PSI. What does the TBI require?

When ever you are replacing a distributor, you put a cylinder at TDC. Usually #1. Then be sure the rotor is pointing toward the #1 cylinder contact in the cap when you replace it. Also making sure the distributor is positioned in the same orientation as the previous one was. In the case of the vortec distributor, I use the position of the connector oriented toward some point on the firewall with a marker.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

TBI is timed with a timing light. disconnect the EST (tan/black) wire and set it at 0*. then shut off engine, disconnect battery, reconnect EST wire, wait a couple minutes, reconnect battery and drive it. but of course you need to use a TBI dizzy, ECM, harness, and all associated TBI components.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
iluvmy72

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
iluvmy72

Easy guys.....I have made this pretty simple....only the block and heads are being used on this....everything else is tbi from a big block. I have a special intake for it that mounts on a vortc engine. It very pricey...but I have it. I also have an adapter/spacer that allows me to mount the larger tbi on top. The previous engine was a 454 tbi. So I do not think fuel pressure will be a issue. I am also using the tbi distributer, egr valve....etc....all tbi except for the block and heads. I am just curious on the timing and how to do it on a engine without the marked balancer and no timing sensors on the distributer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the timing sensor is in fact in the distributor. it is called the pick-up coil. it sends a signal to the module which then sends it to the ECM so that it can control ignition timing above 400 RPM and injector pulse width and timing.

simply treat the thing as a standard TBI system using the procedure I wrote earlier. you will NEED to mark 0* TDC on the balancer. this can be done a couple different ways. if the heads are off this would be very easy by turning crank until #1 piston is at top of travel (don't forget to compensate for piston dwell at top and mark balancer when piston is in middle of dwell). the other way involves a piston stop either bought or made from an old spark plug, a 6" flexible ruler that you can wrap around the balancer, and a marker. with piston down near bottom install stop in #1 plug hole, rotate engine by HAND until it stops, mark balancer, rotate BY HAND the opposite way until it stops again, mark balancer again, remove stop, measure the distance between the 2 marks and divide by 2, place permanent mark there. (ie. marks A and B are 4 3/8" apart make permanent mark 2 3/16 towards A from B and verify it by measuring from B to A)
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote