The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
legends

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Rob, I recently purchased this kit as well as your C-Notch KIT. First let me say they are very nice pieces! I'm having one issue, Basically my truck was a leaf spring frame. What reference points should I use for the C-Notch and shock mounts? The leaf spring frame does not have the bump stop rivets or some of the other rivets you list to use as reference points. I'm thinking if you can give me a measurement from the rear of the frame rail to the center of the shock mount, or the axle tube center line to the center of the shock mount that would be enough to get me started.
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends View Post
Rob, I recently purchased this kit as well as your C-Notch KIT. First let me say they are very nice pieces! I'm having one issue, Basically my truck was a leaf spring frame. What reference points should I use for the C-Notch and shock mounts? The leaf spring frame does not have the bump stop rivets or some of the other rivets you list to use as reference points. I'm thinking if you can give me a measurement from the rear of the frame rail to the center of the shock mount, or the axle tube center line to the center of the shock mount that would be enough to get me started.
I wondered about this. I had a swb leaf frame & a coil frame in my possession once upon a time & couldn't remember the bump stops being the same for both. Reference numbers from the frame rail ends & the other way (from the T/A x-member) should help w/accuracy.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends View Post
Interested in this as well. I read through the whole thread and I'm surprised to see no other mention of using this kit to convert from leafs to trailing arms.

Obviously the spring perches will need to be cut off and re-welded, but I have a dumb question... Does my GM 12 bolt rear need to be trailing arm specific (ie: Panhard bar mount)? I believe the rear is out of a 73-87. Truck is a 72 with a shortened frame (SWB conversion) which will no doubt make things interesting .

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
Interested in this as well. I read through the whole thread and I'm surprised to see no other mention of using this kit to convert from leafs to trailing arms.

Obviously the spring perches will need to be cut off and re-welded, but I have a dumb question... Does my GM 12 bolt rear need to be trailing arm specific (ie: Panhard bar mount)? I believe the rear is out of a 73-87. Truck is a 72 with a shortened frame (SWB conversion) which will no doubt make things interesting .
OE set-ups have short bars w/the PHB mount on the housing. The better 'long' aftermarket set-ups like this one move the mount to the Pass side truck arm @ the back.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
legends

Just a quick update, Rob provided me with several drawings which provided all the necessary measurements I need to install the C-notch and Trailing arm kit. I hope to continue the installation this weekend.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
OE set-ups have short bars w/the PHB mount on the housing. The better 'long' aftermarket set-ups like this one move the mount to the Pass side truck arm @ the back.
Thanks. It seems like now the decision is between this setup and going 4 link... Really only looking for good ride quality, decent hole shot (though my truck is no longer primarily about going fast in a straight line), and to lower it another 2" or so (total of about 4" of drop).

What would you suggest? Im shying away from the OE style trailing arms (ECE) due to the panhard bar issue. The driverside leaf shackles are bound and only articulate about 1". I'm even considering just replacing bushings, etc and adding some drop shackles and caltracs.

I have access to a full metal shop though I wouldnt trust my own welds on the dragstrip .. could tack things in place and have a guy with a cert finish up for me.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
Thanks. It seems like now the decision is between this setup and going 4 link... Really only looking for good ride quality, decent hole shot (though my truck is no longer primarily about going fast in a straight line), and to lower it another 2" or so (total of about 4" of drop).

What would you suggest? Im shying away from the OE style trailing arms (ECE) due to the panhard bar issue. The driverside leaf shackles are bound and only articulate about 1". I'm even considering just replacing bushings, etc and adding some drop shackles and caltracs.

I have access to a full metal shop though I wouldnt trust my own welds on the dragstrip .. could tack things in place and have a guy with a cert finish up for me.
If you're swapping from leafs to one of these 2 choices (4-bar or T/A), it's a wash if using an aftermarket kit (since they're within a couple hundred bucks of each other). If you're trying to get a better ride on a leaf spring suspended 63-72 & have a small budget, a used T/A set-up can be done fairly cheaply & provide very good results.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
legends

Does anyone have any pictures of the No Limit C notch in place with the No limit coil over shock mount in place. Wondering how close the front of the notch plate is to the shock mount?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
meenaggie

They are pretty close on both sides but installed without issue.
Attached Images

meenaggie is offline   Reply With Quote