The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
autolab

1949 wiper motor issue

Im working on this truck and having a problem with the wipers. The wipers had the electric wiper motor conversion done by someone besides me. The wipers do not park. I have no idea if they are suppose to park when the switch is turned off or if its just a cheap motor. I do not see a name on the motor but also have not pulled it out. Im wondering if some may have it wired wrong at the switch causing the motor not to park. I do not have a wiring diagram for the switch. Can anyone help? Do I need to order a new motor from a known distributor?
autolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
jweb

Re: 1949 wiper motor issue

I had the same problem with my Newport Engineering wiper setup. I could never get them to park.

When I had my truck apart for paint I replaced it with a Rain Gear wiper system. It came with new linkage and everything needed to install.

http://www.raingearwipers.com/produc...et-gmc-trucks/

I bought mine through Matt's Classic Bowties a vendor on here, they had the best price.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
mr48chev

I think that is pretty much standard with most of the aftermarket wipers. you have to figure out when to shut them off so they park where you want them to.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
autolab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I had the same problem with my Newport Engineering wiper setup. I could never get them to park.

When I had my truck apart for paint I replaced it with a Rain Gear wiper system. It came with new linkage and everything needed to install.

http://www.raingearwipers.com/produc...et-gmc-trucks/

I bought mine through Matt's Classic Bowties a vendor on here, they had the best price.
I contacted Randy at Raingear and he said he is not sure if his wiper system will fit this 49 PU which makes no sense. I have an aftermarket radio that is made to look like an original type and fits in the original spot and expensive. What kind of radio are you using? Can you take some pictures for me with dimensions of under the dash? Randy tells me he has 19 different dashes but none like mine so he cant get me any measurements and of course no returns if it doesn't fit. His concern is if the radio will interfere with the motor. It looks like a quality wiper system but I need to know if it will fit my 49.

Thank you,

Mark
autolab is offline   Reply With Quote