The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
oldspowered67C10

front coilovers

I havent posted on this forum for a long time but I figured some people might be interested in my latest project. Im installing adjustable coilovers in the front end of my 67 SWB. The coilovers are both heigth and dampening adjustable and theres a wide variety of spring rates. Anyway heres some progress pics:
Attached Images

oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Re: front coilovers

nice, who made the brackets?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Very nice. Could even use these for Shockwaves...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

That'll get her done. Nice fab work, looking forward to see it bolted together and the stance you set.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
ucmydust68
fuel

this would be a nice kit, are you going to offer it or is it already offered??
t56
air ride
18/20's
ucmydust68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Neat work.
I'm assuming the camera is not set for the correct date or else you did this five years ago and just got around to posting them

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
oldspowered67C10

Quote:
I'm assuming the camera is not set for the correct date or else you did this five years ago and just got around to posting them
Yeah, the camera date is off(gotta fix that), I just finished welding that side up on Sunday night.
Quote:
this would be a nice kit, are you going to offer it or is it already offered??
I made the brackets myself and Ill be modifying a set of performance online lower control arms to accept the coilovers. I made up all the parts using a CNC plasma cutter and AutoCAD so all the parts would be easy to reproduce but I wouldnt want to sell them unless I was absolutely sure it wont break.
Quote:
That'll get her done. Nice fab work, looking forward to see it bolted together and the stance you set.
I had airbags on it before and it sat with the front crosmember about 3 inches off the ground(low, but not that low) and with the coilovers I chose, with the bumpstops removed, the coilovers should be almost totally compressed when the crossmember is on the ground. I think the biggest advantage is the adjustability factor, theres a huge variety of spring rates and the shocks themselves have adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and Ill post more pics as the work gets done.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
SCOTI

Very cool & a nice alternative. Post up pics once it's all installed so we can see ride height & give us your 'seat-of-the-pants' opinion (even though it might be a little biased ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
SanitysBane

Were did you get thoes A-arms?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
oldspowered67C10

Quote:
Were did you get thoes A-arms?
I got both the uppers and lowers from performance online. The uppers are longer than stock to give more positive camber and supposedly the upper balljoint is moved back to give more positive caster.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
oldspowered67C10

I got the lower arms mocked up so I figured Id post some more pics. I hope to get the arms gusseted and finish welded this weekend. The pics are in full droop and nearly full compression.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Nice! She's gonna be loooowww, eh?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
oldspowered67C10

Quote:
Nice! She's gonna be loooowww, eh?
Yeah, at least thats the plan. When I was using those lower arms w/ airbags the lower springmount would drag on the ground so hopefully that will no longer happen.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

Exclamation Re: front coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered67C10 View Post
Yeah, the camera date is off(gotta fix that), I just finished welding that side up on Sunday night.

I made the brackets myself and Ill be modifying a set of performance online lower control arms to accept the coilovers. I made up all the parts using a CNC plasma cutter and AutoCAD so all the parts would be easy to reproduce but I wouldnt want to sell them unless I was absolutely sure it wont break.

I had airbags on it before and it sat with the front crosmember about 3 inches off the ground(low, but not that low) and with the coilovers I chose, with the bumpstops removed, the coilovers should be almost totally compressed when the crossmember is on the ground. I think the biggest advantage is the adjustability factor, theres a huge variety of spring rates and the shocks themselves have adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and Ill post more pics as the work gets done.

I'm looking to build a set myself. That's how I found this thread, I was looking at what was available and what other were doing. I want to add at least 3" of lift and have my uppers adjustable so I can correct the rake and caster. I would love to get the Auto_CAD drawings in a pdf. file or have it burned on to a CD !?!?!
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
fastbagged68

What is your ride hieght going to be? How many inches off the ground is your frame going to be?
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
oldspowered67C10

Quote:
What is your ride hieght going to be? How many inches off the ground is your frame going to be?
I havent Z'd the frame or sectioned the crossmember so the frame will still be pretty high, Im shooting to have the front crossmember between 2 and 3 inches off the ground at ride heigth.

Quote:
I would love to get the Auto_CAD drawings in a pdf. file or have it burned on to a CD !?!?!
If you dont have Acad then the files wont really be any use to you but if youd like, assuming it works right and I decide that its not something that I consider to be marketable, I can send you copies of the original pencil drawings.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

Exclamation Re: front coilovers

Girlfriend teaches AutoCad at university so that's no problem also my Steel supply that would do the cut outs for me has it also. Mainly I'd like to have something that the measurements have already been done and I can tweek it to work on my application and weld it up the way I like it.
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #18
PA-IndianRider

In case you have not seen any of the posts I have made recently... I'm going in the "opposite" direction everyone here is going.. I'm building our C10 with a '60's gasser look... .... so I'm looking for a way to "raise" the frontend rather than drop it. It would be nice to have the frontend adjustable from where it is now (3" drop) to ???" .... whatever it takes to get that bad-ass gasser stance. Looks like a coil-over setup like this would work for me???? What ya think???? Thanks ....
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider View Post
In case you have not seen any of the posts I have made recently... I'm going in the "opposite" direction everyone here is going.. I'm building our C10 with a '60's gasser look... .... so I'm looking for a way to "raise" the frontend rather than drop it. It would be nice to have the frontend adjustable from where it is now (3" drop) to ???" .... whatever it takes to get that bad-ass gasser stance. Looks like a coil-over setup like this would work for me???? What ya think???? Thanks ....
Id just do a straight axle

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
SanitysBane

The biggest problem with raising the front of the truck is going to be the ball joint and tie rod angle. I say straight axle, just keep it simple.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
PA-IndianRider

Thumbs up Re: front coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane View Post
I say straight axle, just keep it simple.
The more I keep digging into the alternatives of using a straight front axle the more I keep ending up "back" to my original plans to use one.

Initially I thought using "taller" springs or a "coil over" setup would accomplish the same task as the straight axle but without it's "historical" problems.

Then more & more people I have talked to and chatted with on this forum they have helped me remember a "few things" I have over-looked in my "dream list" planning.

Any (& all) suspension mods come with their own set of problems. Whether it be to "lower" or to "raise" a suspension .... especially when you're talking about "significant" alterations like a "gasser stance" would be.

Sure I could use an "adjustable setup" or "airbags" for raising the front end to the "gasser height" but then one look underneath the truck and the other "important" part of "customizing" any vehicle to a "vintage look" like the one I want is gone..... how it looks.... .

There is NO doubt the "straight axle" setup not only gets the job done but also has the "look" that shouts "hot rod".

Another thing that was also mentioned here was back when (aka.. "in the day") many of us who were either using a staright front axle or "any" other suspension setup (front or rear) very often we did it with "limited funds" and/or used parts just to "git 'er done".

Nowadays we have more "hot rod smarts" and tons or "new parts" and custom parts (along with a few more bucks) than we did when we drove our "rods" to the high school dance on Saturday night.... and on Sunday morning put on the "slicks" and up-capped the exhaust cutouts at the drag strip (with some street racing in between )

So I am going to keep looking into a "straight axle" setup as my first plan. The "World of Wheels" custom car show is in a few weeks here in Pittsburgh and I know of a few "street machines" that are using a straight axle setup that will be there. No doubt my camera will be ready and I'll be spending time talking with rodders who have done this already.

More about this as time goes on..... 10 degrees outside with the wind howling.... still gots "lots" of Winter ahead... ; > (

And like "many" others on this forum I also have LOTS of work to do before I have to decide on what to do with the front suspension.... chopping the roof 5 inches - roll cage - fitting the one piece fiberglass "tilt" front end and making a "fiberglass bumper/rollpan" (???? that could be FUN!!!) - replacing the engine with a "383 stroker" just for "starters"....ha!!!

Thanks again for the words of advice & encouragment .... John
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 01-21-2008 at 06:09 PM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
oldspowered67C10

Heres the latest progress, lower arms are welded, gusseted and painted. I hope to get them installed this weekend but you know how that goes. Anyways, heres the pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #23
Wild83C10

What coil overs are you using (size, P/N, ect)? I'm looking to do something similiar, I'm not so much worried about going that low, but I like the adjustability and I want to relocate my shocks anyway. Thanks

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
jkaylor68gmc

Those look great! I can't wait to hear how it handles!
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #25
greasy68

Is it worth going to a coilover setup on a stock ride height truck? I like the stock look but the handling in my truck leaves alot to be desired. I'm not looking for Indy car handling just an improvement(less body roll and not having to slow to 10mph to take a turn). I already have a front sway bar but everything else is stock. I get spoiled driving my late model charger but I love driving my truck too.
front discs, leaf spring rear
tilt steering wheel, stock ride height, rally wheels,
2007 Dodge Charger(Hemi)
greasy68 is offline   Reply With Quote