The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
69SCSS

Manual steering question

I have a manual box, front is lowered 4" with spindles and springs, and 235/50/17's on 17x8's. The truck handles well and I don't mind the steering effort, but I'm not too happy with the feel. Maybe I'm too picky, got too used to my Silverado or my wife's Tahoe, but the wheel moves a bit, doesn't always stay on exact center, and just doesn't seem to be as tight as I would like. I gotta figure bumpsteer plays into that, and the tires, so I'm not expecting it to drive like my other vehicles with power R&P! Just wondering if it's probably normal, or maybe it's a little too loose? The steering box is new, along with all the other parts, and just got an alignment recently.

I'm thinking I'm being too picky honestly, like I said, but just asking for a sanity check. Considering lowering it an inch all the way around still, and I'm pretty sure it'll only make it worse!
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Manual steering question

Honestly when you go from a new Silverado/Tahoe to an older C10 it's just not going to feel tight. I would recheck the alignment and each joint anyway. You kind of get used to what you drive the most. Sorry, not very helpful
Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf View Post
Honestly when you go from a new Silverado/Tahoe to an older C10 it's just not going to feel tight. I would recheck the alignment and each joint anyway. You kind of get used to what you drive the most. Sorry, not very helpful
Actually that's what I figured, especially with a lowered truck. I just wanted to make sure. It's not dangerously moving or anything, not even close, and it actually tracks pretty well. Just wanted to make sure. I know power steering smooths that stuff out a bit too. Thanks!
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
bmfpeterson

I'm getting back into the swing of things with my 71 and steering is on the list. Has anyone ever used the electric power assist manual rack? I thought I saw one the other night online??? I have a manual steering box and was going to rebuild it or just try to buy a new one that was hopefully tight?
bmfpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote