The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
75Dually

75 Dually build

I have this project posted on Duallysceen.com

http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/pr...lin-t7688.html

Check it out.

This truck is a 75 Crew Cab Dually. It will have the front end off my donor 91 burb, and the doors also (because they have power locks and power windows). I have the 454 and trans out of that same vehicle. I also have taken the complete electrical system out of that burb and replaced the ancient 75 wiring harness. This way everything is all OEM and looks factory. Check out the above link to the duallysceen.com page to see more of the details.

After taking the summer off to do a bunch of dirt bike rides I am now getting back to building this ride. I am going to start posting on both forums as I progress throughout the winter months.

As of last night I got the tank and the hard lines out of my donor burb and have started fabricating the rear frame to accept it. Next I will get on the plumbing of the hard lines to complete the system. Then it is on to completing the rear suspension and getting the bed fitted up. Lots of work ahead...
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: 75 Dually build

Looked at your other thread. Now that you have had that SIMCT5200D plasma/tig machine for a while, what do you think of it? Would you buy another one of their products or ??

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Looked at your other thread. Now that you have had that SIMCT5200D plasma/tig machine for a while, what do you think of it? Would you buy another one of their products or ??
I bought my first unit thinking that if it lasted me one project it would pay for itself. However I had a lot of issues with my first machine. Bad soldering on the internals. I had to send it back and get this unit as a replacement. By the way the company was really great to work with when I had an issue, so that is a huge plus on their side.

Basically it comes down to this. Yes I would buy another one because if you get one that works they will do the job. And when they work they cut just as nice as the more expensive machines. Just know that if you have an issue that they back up their machines and have treated me fair.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
75Dually

Got a little bit done tonight. Today I picked up my new U-Bolts at our local suspension shop. So I pulled out the plasma machine and cut out the bottom plates. Here is a pic of it mocked up. I will tear it all apart and grind everything smooth and toss some paint on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
75Dually

I got to looking at the plate that I made to attach the U-bolts, and 1/4" plate looked way to thin. So I was out looking at the old parts I had taken off the original rear end, I found my rear sway bar, and attached to it was the cast U-bolt mounting plates! Perfect, it was like when your mom told you to clean your room and you found that 5 bucks you lost.

So I pulled off the 1/4" plates and installed the cast units. Major difference!

I also started tonight to cut the lower mounting towers that the bottom air bag plate mounts to. These are the parts that will be welded to the rear end. I will post pics when I get those completed.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
75Dually

So the plasma cutter and welder got a work out tonight. I finished up the bottom bag mounts on the rear end. In the pics below the lower mount is not in it's final spot, I just placed it there to see it mocked up.

Next on the list is to get the shock mounts mocked up, and then to figure out the emergency brake cables and where they should route.

Once I get done with the gas tank mounting I am going to tear apart the bed and start to build a frame work of 1"x1" tubing to support the floor. Oh boy my list just seems to get longer each time I check something off!
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
75Dually

Worked on the fuel tank frame tonight. A fairly easy job, but somewhat time consuming. I still have to fab up a hold down for the tank, but that should not be that hard.

My next job is going to be finishing up on the lower air bag mounts and getting them welded in place. Then I will get on either the shock mounts, or the fuel line plumbing.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
75Dually

In between helping the wife cook and having an excellent Thanksgiving dinner I was able to get out to the shop for a while today. It is so good not to be traveling this year!

Today I started by getting the old fuel tanks out and all the associated tubing. So good to have that area all cleaned up. Now I can mount the battery box and the air ride air tank and valves. After that messy job I got to finish mounting the new fuel tank. Now it is solidly in place. Then I got down to putting in the new fuel lines in. I had to modify the old lines to go over the arch, but after that everything else went fairly easy. I still have to add the lines that hook up to the engine, but I am going to do those when I get the truck turned around to start on the front end.

Hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving!
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
75Dually

Today a friend came over and helped me move the bed into the shop. So now I can get to fitting up the bed to the new frame. Tons of fun!

So after we got the bed into the shop I did not want to lay on a creeper under the bed undoing all those dozens of bolts to take the floor out, so I decided to make a frame work of lumber (a lot of new houses are going up in our neighborhood so I went dumpster diving for wood!!!) to rotate the bed upright and not harm the sheet metal. So I used the engine hoist to raise up the bed slowly and put it up right. By the way the pictures don't show it but I have since used heavy tie downs to secure it to the rafters and support structure of the shop so it wont fall over. So now I can undo all the bolts standing up like a normal person. I will leave several in place so I can rotate it back to the ground and then undo them when it is in back in position. Yeah I know the safety experts are going to scream at me, but it was all done very safely and no OSHA people were harmed in the rotating of the bed....

This bed is actually in great shape for a 75'. I don't have that much body work, which I am super thankful for!!!

Well once I get it mocked up I will snap some pics and update you guys.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
D.FENS

Please don't paint your truck. That two tone is pure glory just like it is.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Please don't paint your truck. That two tone is pure glory just like it is.
I agree 100%, however I have put the doors from my donor truck in place of the stock one's (factory power locks and power windows), and as you can see they are hideous blue/grey! The original doors sheet metal is in great shape, but the windows looked like they were sand blasted (welcome to living in West Texas...). Plus I am going to put new fenders on the front. The old ones were toast, and I wanted the more "modern" 1991 GMC front end on this ride.

So the dilemma is now what should I do with it??? Trust me If I could keep the original color and patina I would. I think I would like to go back to the original 2 tone colors that the truck came from the factory with. Just not sure... Open to ideas though...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
75Dually

Some disassembly required!!! Got to taking the bed apart tonight. First thing to get out of the way - Chevy when you use 20,000 bolts to put your beds together don't use 4 little welds in the corner of the rear of the bed to hold it together, it just made a terrible job just that much worse!!! Next time just use 4 more bolts to hold it, and leave well enough alone!

Ok I got that off my chest...

Really taking it apart the bed was pretty straight forward. I was glad that I had put it on end to take 90% of the bolts out. That made the job a whole lot easier.

So I got it mocked up and wanted to put the rims on and check the clearances. I cannot be more pleased right now. The measurements worked put perfectly with that 3/4 ton rear end, the rims and tires are going to tuck right up in the stock fenders! Knowing that I do not have to modify those stock fenders is a huge relief.

Now I have to get in there and make the support frame and cut the inner wheel wells to fit. After that I will put the floor back in it's new location.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
BIG V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
I agree 100%, however I have put the doors from my donor truck in place of the stock one's (factory power locks and power windows), and as you can see they are hideous blue/grey! The original doors sheet metal is in great shape, but the windows looked like they were sand blasted (welcome to living in West Texas...). Plus I am going to put new fenders on the front. The old ones were toast, and I wanted the more "modern" 1991 GMC front end on this ride.

So the dilemma is now what should I do with it??? Trust me If I could keep the original color and patina I would. I think I would like to go back to the original 2 tone colors that the truck came from the factory with. Just not sure... Open to ideas though...
Two tone paint but mix it up do something no one else has done. I love the duallys im really missing mine.
1991 Chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4x 4:56 and pulls great
1979 Chevy 1/2 ton long bed diesel
1974 Chevy crew cab short bed 3/4 ton 4x4 project
1991 Chevy suburban 2wd
1984 Chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4x 6.5 detroit with turbo
1961 Chevy pickup 1/2 ton 2wd
1975 gmc crew cab short bed 2wd
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
75Dually

Today was a half day in the shop. I wanted a full day, but noooo.... First of all I hate plumbing!!! I had to fix our bathroom faucet. After I bought a new one at Home Depot and got it home I opened the box and found out it was broken!!! So back to Home Depot I went... Did I mention that I hate plumbing!!!

Once I got to the shop I finished up the rear bed mounts. I will be making up the upper frame later in the week once I can get to the steel house and buy more 1X1 stock.

I have decided tonight that I am going to have a raised wooden bed. At first I was going to reuse the stock metal bed, but even though it is in really good shape it will be just too much work. I have a very good friend who is a cabinet maker in town and I will get him to cut me the planks. He always has some stunning wood around for his customer builds, so I am sure that he can find me some really cool stuff for this build.

By the way I have the ugliest tailgate in town! Maybe in all West Texas! I picked this thing up last year in Amarillo for $25. It is actually in good shape and just needs the old paint stripped and some body work done. Only slight surface rust so It should not be that difficult to make the ugly duckling into a swan...
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
75Dually

During the Christmas break I have started working on a new metal working table. My idea came to me when I was in Sears doing some Christmas shopping and I came across a 26" 5 drawer box that was on clearance. Mega good deal!! I already had an older 40" box of the same height. I have had this 40" box for a very long time. So I joined the two together tonight and made one very long box.

I could have done the standard 4 leg table with casters build, but I wanted a large drawer system below the table. So my plan is to build an exoskeleton around these boxes (and try not to make it look hideous!). I will also update the casters as well. The top will be 2'x8'.

Seeing that I have a lot of family over at my house for the Christmas break I am going to put the guys to work in the shop building this beast. As I progress I will post some pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
75Dually

Here is the backbone that the cabinets and the caster wheels will be attached to. This will be on the underside of the cabinets. I will attach the upper structure to this backbone as well. It is made out of 3"x5" 1/4 wall box tubing. Super heavy stuff let me tell you!

Tomorrow I will drill and tap the holes for the casters and get the cabinets mounted to it. Should be something fun to do on Christmas afternoon!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
75Dually

OK I just about have my mobile metal work bench done. I have to paint it up, mount the power strips, install the top, and mount the new bench vise. Again I know this is not a dually item, but it is going to be a big help getting my 75 done quicker once completed.

I do have one big surprise in store for you guys that you are going to want to see... Once I get this item done I will post a pic.

Stay tuned... You are going to want to see this!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

That is one HEAVY DUTY work bench!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #19
Devillusion

taking notes on the build for sure....will be tackling air suspension next winter I am hoping.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #20
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devillusion View Post
taking notes on the build for sure....will be tackling air suspension next winter I am hoping.
Yeah just about to start back on the Dually. I have all my air suspension parts ready to go. I am going to try a York compressor for my air supply, but I have to wait until I can turn the truck around and start on the front end.

If I did not have all these other fun projects then I would probably be done with it by now, Oh well...

BTW I picked this up today. It is our father and son project. Trying to teach the boy about working with tools and not video games!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #21
Devillusion

I'm going to be focusing on that in a few years as well, I've already started taking away some games from my 5 year old. Was losing focus, and what a difference since I did. Feel bad, but there are some serious improvements in his focus in school and attention issues. Told him the K5 4x4 I just picked up could be his some day...he was pretty stoked.

Love your project, buddy of mine here bought "blackbird" from a guy that had Delmo build it for him. Gorgeous truck...if I could rock a reg cab with the kids I would in a heart beat. Would either have to leave one kid at home or get divorced...lmao.

Just trying to work out my suspension for next winter, just want to have adjustability don't need to lay rocker and all that sort for now. I've built 4x4s for years, and this will be my first air ride project eventually. For now though...static it is.

Keep the pics coming....love it so far. And my vote is to stick with the factory colors. Love it.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #22
75Dually

OK so here is my surprise. I really only posted the welding table build on this forum to show you guys on 67-72chevytrucks this portion of the build. I could not figure out what I wanted to do with the backside of the table. I have seen how guys use old tailgates mounted to a wall as a makeshift work bench, and it hit me like a ton of bricks! Why not take my old beat up tail gate off my 75 dually and use it as the door to a storage compartment. So I added a C-Clamp storage rod, and bulk storage for large tools and tool cases.

The tail gate is rather abused and has lots of patina. But that is why I think it makes this project rather cool. Plus it is a Chevy tail gate! In the pictures below the tail gate is only being held by some para cord because I have not made a hinge system yet. I still have to do the latch as well, but I think it looks cool and it is not your normal welding table by any means.

I also got the electrical finished up today. I have 2 double gang boxes on either end. Fully tested and now ready to go.

All I have left is to paint the frame and install the top. Then yes I will get back to my dually build I promise!

Let me know what you guys think...
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #23
Devillusion

awesome!
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #24
75Dually

OK I finished the table. Now I will hush up and get back to the real work at hand.

Can't wait to get back to my truck, but I did have a blast building this fabrication table. I needed it so badly!

Next on the list for the truck is finishing up the bed area and getting the drive shafts built. Lot's to do!
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #25
75Dually

Yes finally back working on the dually! The last couple of nights I have been working on the rear shocks. I went and picked up a pair of Rancho's this week, fab'd the brackets, and welded them in tonight. The bottom bolts need to be trimmed, but other than that they are done!
One more item checked off the list!

I took the drive shaft to our local drive shaft dudes to have it lengthened today. Should get it back in a couple of days.

Now it is time to complete the bed framework and get that completed. Back to the salt mines!
Attached Images