The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
raidmagic

New guy(ish) with a new to me 80

Hey guys, I picked up this to act as my daily driver while I finish my 65. I'm a member here and usually go in the older truck forum. Hopefully someone can answer a few questions for me.

First it's an 80. I also have a parts truck I've had for a while. It's an 81. Can I put the 81 front clip on the 80? I see the 80 has a longer hood if I use the fenders, hood and cowl piece from the 81 is there any reason this won't work?

Second, I'd really like to have AC. I live in Florida our one week of winter isn't going to help me. Most all the parts are there, compressor, hoses, condenser, etc. Am I better off trouble shooting and replacing parts on this system (nothing works right now) or would I be better off just taking it all out and putting a basic aftermarket system in?

I've already swapped the doors from the 81 over they are rust free and took the seatbelts too. I got the windshield from the 81 and will put it in tomorrow after the paint dries from repairing some of the windshield channel.

Is there a repair for no lock on the rear slide window? Mine has nothing and I'd like to keep that.

Well thanks for letting me ramble. Here's a picture or two of it and hopefully I'll have more as I go along.

raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
AJC

Re: New guy(ish) with a new to me 80

Its much easier to go from the 81-87 to a 73-80 then the other way around. It has to do with the hood hing moving from the fender to the cab. Also the wiper assembly needs to be swapped as the earlier posts are too short.

I have only ever swapped clips the other way so I'm not sure how you do the hood hinge.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
cadillac_al

I'd buy new fenders since the 80 front end looks better.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
nlped

If you’re just looking for the locking piece for your sliding glass, I used this one on my 87. It worked like it should & it’s metal rather than the POS plastic Dorman one.

https://www.dkhardware.com/replaceme...uct-17244.html
Attached Images

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
If you’re just looking for the locking piece for your sliding glass, I used this one on my 87. It worked like it should & it’s metal rather than the POS plastic Dorman one.

https://www.dkhardware.com/replaceme...uct-17244.html
Sweet thank you.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Its much easier to go from the 81-87 to a 73-80 then the other way around. It has to do with the hood hing moving from the fender to the cab. Also the wiper assembly needs to be swapped as the earlier posts are too short.

I have only ever swapped clips the other way so I'm not sure how you do the hood hinge.
I don't have to worry about the hinges, I am using a clip that the hood flips forward. I am going to reuse the 80 grill and headlights. So I am only faced with swapping the wiper transmissions?

Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I don't have to worry about the hinges, I am using a clip that the hood flips forward. I am going to reuse the 80 grill and headlights. So I am only faced with swapping the wiper transmissions?

you have to change the entire clip including the radiator support so you wont be using the 80 headlights

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

Never swapped these but just compared my 75 and 84. The 84 posts are taller as the cowl vent became part of the cab in the later models instead of being part of the hood in the earlier ones. The wipers went from semi-hidden on the earlier version to fully exposed on the later ones. Should just be able to swap the posts + the minimum parts to make that happen. Or modify the later cowl piece to work with the shorter posts and wiper movements.

IMO - if you have all the AC pieces, it is worth at least troubleshooting to see what works. Might be as simple as adding refrigerant or even a blown fuse. Likely will need a compressor hose set.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
AJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post

Well that solves your hood hinge problem. But as old Rusty C10 said, the whole front clip needs to be changed. Pretty much everything forward of the cab needs to be swapped. Fenders, hood, cowl, wiper assembly, radiator support, grill and head lights.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
raidmagic

Quote:
Well that solves your hood hinge problem. But as old Rusty C10 said, the whole front clip needs to be changed. Pretty much everything forward of the cab needs to be swapped. Fenders, hood, cowl, wiper assembly, radiator support, grill and head lights.
Well that's a bummer. I guess I'll play around with it after I swap the sheet metal. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #11
AJC

Out of curiosity why do you want to swap front clips?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
raidmagic

Quote:
Out of curiosity why do you want to swap front clips?
One is full of bondo and rust and the other is perfect.