The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 PM   #26
loosenutz

Re: Loosenutz's 66 SWB BBW LM4 Build

Magnaflow Y pipe arrived today. I was planning on using the stock y pipe but the place I bought the engine from screwed up and cut it off even though they told me they'd include it. When I informed them of their mistake they said they would send the part they cut off. What arrived was the a piece of the correct y pipe and 2 incorrect catalytic converters from another vehicle so I gave up on that idea. Found this High performance magnaflow unit for half price so it was cheaper than a stock replacement. I also started putting the Holley oil pan on so I can place the engine in the truck. Quite a difference between it and the stock ssr pan (which is a front sump). I'll also need to drill out the boss in the block for the Holley dipstick. The LM4 had it's stock dipstick inserted into a boss on the oil pan.
Attached Images

loosenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #27
88Stanger

Awesome build so far! I did this basic conversion on my 1969 C10. I will be honest and tell you i completely rebuilt the 5.3 iron block and damn, the design changes from Gen 1 Chevy blocks is great! Everything is O-Ring gaskets, fitiment is perfect, the crank is in with 6 bolts, and so on. Anyways, nice build, you will love the LS.
I will say this, i used dirty dingo motor mounts and when the 4L60E was in, my drive line to Tranny and Rearend angles were way off! I had to add 1.5" aluminium block to the tranny mount to get them to a decent angle. The tranny was pointing down at 13 Degrees. It could be the motor mounts, either way i had to install a High Hump cover to get enough clearance. Good Luck on this, ill be watching for updates.
Now i am off to go work on the next project, my 1966 Factory shortbed fleet.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #28
loosenutz

This is my 2nd LS swap. I agree with you 100%. They are super easy to work on and superior in every way to the older generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Awesome build so far! I did this basic conversion on my 1969 C10. I will be honest and tell you i completely rebuilt the 5.3 iron block and damn, the design changes from Gen 1 Chevy blocks is great! Everything is O-Ring gaskets, fitiment is perfect, the crank is in with 6 bolts, and so on. Anyways, nice build, you will love the LS.
I will say this, i used dirty dingo motor mounts and when the 4L60E was in, my drive line to Tranny and Rearend angles were way off! I had to add 1.5" aluminium block to the tranny mount to get them to a decent angle. The tranny was pointing down at 13 Degrees. It could be the motor mounts, either way i had to install a High Hump cover to get enough clearance. Good Luck on this, ill be watching for updates.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #29
loosenutz

Fabbed up some brackets to mount the SSR radiator assembly to the C10 core support. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
Attached Images

Last edited by loosenutz; 09-21-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #30
350TacoZilla

Always nice to see parts showing up and going together.Good job on the radiator setup. I like re-using as many stock parts as possible for something like this so I really appreciate what your doing here lol. I like that Y pipe setup too,looks like real nice work.

I wasn't a big fan of the LS when they came out but being around them for awhile I kinda saw the light on them, I ended up with 2 4.8's for dirt cheap (one still in a running and driving truck) and plan to swap into one of my project soon but the wiring is what worries me. I plan to follow an online guide and trim the stock harness down to just the needed wires.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #31
loosenutz

The Dirty Dingo mounts must put the engine pretty high? I set the engine and trans in this weekend. The trans is on the factory crossmember using the low profile Energy Suspension mount. I positioned the engine so the Holley 302-2 pan has 3/4" clearance to the top of the crossmember. My tranny is currently pointing 3° downward and my driveshaft is perfectly level. These universal mounts are going to work great! I'll post details once I'm done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post

Last edited by loosenutz; 09-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #32
loosenutz

Got the Holley 302-2 pan installed. Also drilled the hole in the block for the dipstick that the Holley pan utilizes.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #33
loosenutz

After that I set the engine in. Positioned it so there's 3/4" clearance between the Holley pan and the cross member. I'll need to trim about 5/8" off the bottom of the front engine mount tabs and 7/8" off of the back tabs. After that I just need to weld the tabs to the crossmember. Really happy with how these universal mounts are working out. It's nice to be able to position the engine exactly where you want it. I'll also need to clearance the frame to clear the SSR power steering pump and just slightly to clear to passenger side exhaust manifold.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #34
loosenutz

After trimming the motor mount tabs, they fit perfect. Welded them in tonight.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #35
loosenutz

One good thing about using motor mounts like these is there's a lot more room for the exhaust manifolds. I've seen numerous builds where the mounts were in the way of the headers so the engine had to be moved forward or backward. I also clearanced the frame slightly for the flange on the passenger exhaust manifold. It wasn't actually touching but too close for comfort.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #36
loosenutz

Painted the CPP master cylinder tonight and then installed the assembly. Had to shorten the push rod that came in the kit some. Even at its shortest adjustment it was 1/4" too long so I removed 1/2".
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #37
loosenutz

Bolted the stock AC compressor and lines in tonight to see how much interference there was. Amazingly it fit perfect. I'll just need to fab up a bracket to support the bottom of the AC mount. It was originally bolted to the oil pan but the Holley pan doesn't have provisions for that.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenutz View Post
Bolted the stock AC compressor and lines in tonight to see how much interference there was. Amazingly it fit perfect. I'll just need to fab up a bracket to support the bottom of the AC mount. It was originally bolted to the oil pan but the Holley pan doesn't have provisions for that.
The a/c house routing looks much better on these later models vs. earlier LS swap compressors.

Could you put a stud on that bolt of the pan that looks close to being between the 2 mounting holes on the compressor? If so, a simple-ish 90° bracket should/could anchor to that (the stud, pan rail, bracket, & a flange nut to secure it all). Or, the stud gets a flange nut for the pan, a/c bracket goes on that & a 2nd nut to secure the a/c bracket?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
loosenutz

You read my mind, that's exactly what I'm doing but I'm going to use 2 bolt holes not just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The a/c house routing looks much better on these later models vs. earlier LS swap compressors.

Could you put a stud on that bolt of the pan that looks close to being between the 2 mounting holes on the compressor? If so, a simple-ish 90° bracket should/could anchor to that (the stud, pan rail, bracket, & a flange nut to secure it all). Or, the stud gets a flange nut for the pan, a/c bracket goes on that & a 2nd nut to secure the a/c bracket?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #40
350TacoZilla

Everything is looking so good on this I dont have much to add other than maybe gusset between your motor mount tabs either on top or the bottom. I have had the flat tabs like that start flexing before right above the welds and end up either cracking or just bending.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #41
loosenutz

Yes, gussets will be added. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Everything is looking so good on this I dont have much to add other than maybe gusset between your motor mount tabs either on top or the bottom. I have had the flat tabs like that start flexing before right above the welds and end up either cracking or just bending.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #42
loosenutz

Got my inner fenders and core support back from the powdercoater. They look amazing. Hard to believe they turned out this great when they were terrible before. A big shout out to Valley Powdercoating in San Diego. I'd highly recommend them.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #43
Lunnb

Roughly how much did it cost to powder coat the inner fenders and core support ?
TIA
Lunnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #44
loosenutz

Well... I know the owner so my cost was much lower. I could ask him what he would normally charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunnb View Post
Roughly how much did it cost to powder coat the inner fenders and core support ?
TIA
Old 10-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #45
Lunnb

No biggie , glad you got a deal on it . I have new inner fenders and core support , I’m on the fence about painting or powder coating .
Lunnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #46
loosenutz

Finished making the lower ac support bracket. Turned out perfect. I used the original lower bolts but had to trim about 5/8" off of them.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #47
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenutz View Post
Finished making the lower ac support bracket. Turned out perfect. I used the original lower bolts but had to trim about 5/8" off of them.
Yep.... That's the bracket I was thinkin'. Simplish, clean, & supportive.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #48
Android04

Love it.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #49
loosenutz

Finished up with clearancing the frame for the power steering pump. I welded in a pretty solid brace so should be more than strong enough. Plus this is forward of any suspension mounts so not much stress there. I also added gussets to the motor mount tabs for added strength. Didn't bother to get pics of that.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #50
loosenutz

Trimmed all the excess off of the factory ecu mounting bracket. Then bolted it to the driver's inner fender. Once the core support is on it should be semi hidden. Planning to mount the under hood fuse box from the SSR next to the ECU. Going to have to make some custom brackets to pull that off.
Attached Images