The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
1957_Chevy_Truck

What is every ones thoughts on Ifs for 55-59 Chevy Trucks? What Do you recommend?

I am 14 and My Dad and I are restoring a 1957 chevy Truck. I want the truck to sit low and all of the stuff needed for mono leafs and a dropped axle is pretty close to an ifs. I have no idea what to look for and I figured you guys have done it before or know someone who has.
1957_Chevy_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
broey
Square

Re: What is every ones thoughts on Ifs for 55-59 Chevy Trucks? What Do you recommend?

you have a budget in mind for the ifs swap?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
1957_Chevy_Truck

Re: What is every ones thoughts on Ifs for 55-59 Chevy Trucks? What Do you recommend?

I would like to keep it reasonable. I am thinking $2500 is definitely at my max. I don't yet, I am just trying to get a feel for what's out there that I need to look into and what to expect in the price.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
mr48chev

Low buck (and simple) would be the front suspension from a XJ6 Jag sedan like a few guys on here have used. The aftermarket offerings are everything from a 299.95 MII crossmember that takes stock MII pieces and is advertised to be an exact fit in an Ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/160977632222...84.m1423.l2649 To one of Scott's hub to hub custom crossmembers that runs around 3k but is world class.

Guys still swap the Camaro/Firebird subframes onto those trucks on a regular basis but that has lost favor with me simply because there are better ways to go and those subframes are starting to get more expensive lately. the other and biggest problem with subframes and my 48 was subframed in my avatar if it is red is that it's a royal pain to align the front end sheet metal most of the times.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
torchlight

I just got a Scott's IFS for my 53 and I am quite impressed. But it was on the spendy side. To me, it was well worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

After market

Mustang 2 units - they are cool but at the lower end of the aftermarket kits and it's what I could afford.
Flatout Engineering's cross remember - This would be my choice if I could do it again.

Jim Meyer, No Limit Engineering, Scotts hotrod, TCI, Progressive Automotive and Heidts Superide are really nice unit if you have the money.

Doners Cars

GM IFS (Carmaro, Firebird, Nova, Monte Carlo, etc. - I like the 78-88 Monte Carlos for 55-59 trucks because the track width). Cheap to start , requires cutting the frame, sheetmetal fitment must be figured out, rides nice, can bag if desired, after market plentiful, and if done right can look factory.

This list only contains the IFS I personally have experience with. I never installed a Jaguar IFS but I've seen them on trucks at shows and was told they are easy and ride nice.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
1957_Chevy_Truck

Thanks, my dad has a full Monte frame but he doesn't want to cut it up. I was looking at this. http://www.nolimitparts.com/prodinfo...er=WRIFS3%2DAB I doubt i would get it but just something to think about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Just curious: For a 14 year old you write well (better than a LOT of adults on this board) and you're smart enough to plan, do research and ask people that can give you knowledgeable advice BIG kudos fir that. Youll likely do well in life.

How do you plan on coming up with the $2500 to maybe $3000 this will cost? Do you know an appropriately qualified welder to do the installation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

Why not leave it stock height & just fix it up real nice with the stock suspention. There is always plenty of work to do on them & you won't get in over your head. It will have better resale value also.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Why not leave it stock height & just fix it up real nice with the stock suspention. There is always plenty of work to do on them & you won't get in over your head. It will have better resale value also.
About the same age I worked with my dad on a 57, he wanted simple body mods here and there I wanted to keep it stock. I agree with the above post. Anyone can mess these trucks up, just look at all the craigslist ad's. I say try to do the most difficult thing there is to do, it is so difficult it will set you and your truck over and above everyone else, anyone can do a modification here and there. Do a pure factory stock restoration, I don't think anyone has ever done it on these trucks.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
1957_Chevy_Truck

Thanks Dan, I have grown up with cars around me my entire life. My pap has a 1963 Impala SS and a 1966 Chevy Corvette with a 427 we have to put back in. He is 70 years old and has a 1982 Monte Carlo that has a 383 stroker. It is his Drag Car and this year he ran an 11.93 in the quarter mile at Pittsburgh.

About the money, I don't think I will be able to get every bit of it. Once it warms up I will mow grass. My dad is a mechanical engineer and he said that he could do it. He has never done a switch like this, but he is a pretty good welder.

Wrenchbender and dicer: I think the truck sits too high and would like it to be lower. I first looked into bolt on stuff that wouldn't be difficult or have anything to do with cutting up the frame. I then looked up all of the parts needed to lower it the way I want it and it was a little over $2000. I looked at the ifs kits and they run from $2000 and up. I thought I would look into it. I am not saying this is what I will do, I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568447 My Build Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Speedbumpauto

I'll be the devils advocate here. Those were farm trucks made in the 50's. The speed limit was 55 and the roads were built in the 20's and 30's. In stock form they don't go very fast and don't stop very well and any input to the steering wheel is more of a suggestion than a command. They didn't even have seat belts. We did a Heidts on a buddy's truck along with rack and pinion steering, power disc brakes, a sweet little small block and T-350. Did the spring flip on the back and used a 9 inch with 3.25 gears and all on a budget. It sits a little bit lower but other than that looks absolutely stock including a spare tire in the driver side fender. It's not my cup of tea but with a split bench seat from a late model truck and a Vintage air system, it's a pleasure to drive, safe and dependable....and it STILL looks like a 58 Chevy.
Just my opinion, but follow your dream. You'll never be happy if you don't.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
....follow your dream. You'll never be happy if you don't.
This is SO true. The only additional advice I would give (and a LOT of adults don't follow it - just check Craigslist for unfinished projects and you'll see):

Recognize your limitations: Your current abilities, the tools you have available, the money, the space. Don't obligate your Dad. I'm sure he wants to help but it'll be more satisfying knowing you did it to the limits of your OWN abillities with minimal help. You're a smart young man, I'm guessing you already figured most of this out Make SURE you post photos here!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
G&R's57GMC

I used the NoLimit Wide Ride IFS and their Fat Bar rear with a Currie 9" got it all from NoLimit.
Attached Images

G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Chris.

I got a scotts hotrods bagged IFS hub to hub kit for my 50 it is awesome. It was very easy to install, found the axle center lifted it into place, leveled it, and welded it in. You can get the same one with coilovers. They build to your specs as far as desired ride height and tire size. Their customer service is great I talked to them a couple times and got all my questions answered before I ordered. Plus you get a discount for being a forum member.

http://www.scottshotrods.com/frontends.asp

Give them a call they can answer all your questions
Posted via Mobile Device
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
I used the NoLimit Wide Ride IFS and their Fat Bar rear with a Currie 9" got it all from NoLimit.
And it looks great.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
1957_Chevy_Truck

Thanks everyone. Another thing is that this truck will be my daily driver during high school. I don't want it to be so low that I scrape pulling into a driveway or something. I would like a drop but not have the truck sitting on the ground.

G&R's57GMC: That is exactly what I would like to do. I think once I move out I will tear the truck apart and do exactly what you did to it. Great pictures.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957_Chevy_Truck View Post
Thanks Dan, I have grown up with cars around me my entire life. My pap has a 1963 Impala SS and a 1966 Chevy Corvette with a 427 we have to put back in. He is 70 years old and has a 1982 Monte Carlo that has a 383 stroker. It is his Drag Car and this year he ran an 11.93 in the quarter mile at Pittsburgh.

About the money, I don't think I will be able to get every bit of it. Once it warms up I will mow grass. My dad is a mechanical engineer and he said that he could do it. He has never done a switch like this, but he is a pretty good welder.

Wrenchbender and dicer: I think the truck sits too high and would like it to be lower. I first looked into bolt on stuff that wouldn't be difficult or have anything to do with cutting up the frame. I then looked up all of the parts needed to lower it the way I want it and it was a little over $2000. I looked at the ifs kits and they run from $2000 and up. I thought I would look into it. I am not saying this is what I will do, I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568447 My Build Thread
Sit's too high? Isn't it nice to be able to see over all those barriers they put on the sides of the roads and bridges? I like sitting up high. Gosh its even considered very cool with in the 4X4 community.
If you have a real good stock truck, sell it and get one of those ongoing projects mentioned above from craigslist, there would be lots of things left to do on it, and could save a good truck from ruination.

Last edited by dicer; 03-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Rude Dude

Post some pics of your truck we would all like to see what your starting off with!
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Sit's too high? Isn't it nice to be able to see over all those barriers they put on the sides of the roads and bridges? I like sitting up high. Gosh its even considered very cool with in the 4X4 community.
If you have a real good stock truck, sell it and get one of those ongoing projects mentioned above from craigslist, there would be lots of things left to do on it, and could save a good truck from ruination.
Dicer we are all waiting for pics of your perfectly restored truck. The truck that all of us guys that modify should be trying to emulate. Please King Dicer show us po little ole rodders how to save our ruined trucks. Show us the errors of our ways and how wrong we are to think that we have the right to do what we want to our trucks.

Why don't you tell us about the IFS units you have installed successfully, because that's what the original poster's question was. He wanted recommendations of IFS not your old beating of a dead dog tired old stocked is better or save the trucks from modification philosophy.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
1957_Chevy_Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Dicer we are all waiting for pics of your perfectly restored truck. The truck that all of us guys that modify should be trying to emulate. Please King Dicer show po little old rodders how to save our ruined trucks. Show us the errors of our ways and how wrong we are to think that we have the right to do what we want to our trucks.

Why don't you tell us about the IFS units you have installed successfully, because that's what the original posters question was about. He wanted recommendations of IFS not your old beating of a dead dog tired old stocked is better or save the trucks from modification philosophy.
Thank you Kabwe, I will post some pictures once I get home.

Dicer, if I wanted the truck to sit higher, I would've made a "4x4 thread." I want the truck to sit low so I made an ifs thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
1957_Chevy_Truck

This is my truck that I got around last summer. It is nothing special but is a good starting point. My pap is going to give me his 327 out of his corvette. My dad has a 200r4 and a 700r4 he said I could use. The rear end is still up in the air. It will probally be a g-body rear end. The front suspesion was the last major thing I had to figure out. That is why I started this thread. I have been researching a ton about ifs swaps and have found a lot of useful information.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

That is one great looking project truck.

Quote:

My dad is a mechanical engineer and he said that he could do it. He has never done a switch like this, but he is a pretty good welder.
I'm sure your dad can do a great job on the clip. There are a lot of great examples on this forum of nicely installed clips from donor cars if you decide to go that route.

If you go with an aftermarket unit they come with instructions that are easy to follow. You also have also have some nice examples on the forum.

There are so many options today it can be overwhelming but having options is a good thing.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
wood1

Quote:
This is my truck that I got around last summer. It is nothing special but is a good starting point. My pap is going to give me his 327 out of his corvette. My dad has a 200r4 and a 700r4 he said I could use. The rear end is still up in the air. It will probally be a g-body rear end. The front suspesion was the last major thing I had to figure out. That is why I started this thread. I have been researching a ton about ifs swaps and have found a lot of useful information.
Looks like a great start to me.. And it looks like a V8 truck and maybe a Hydra-Matic trans., judging by the extra holes for the trim. I think the Hydra-Matic emblem was on the door and V8 under fender side moulding.
Good luck and most of all have fun building it your way..
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #25
1957_Chevy_Truck

Wood1 it is a 57 with 55 or 56 fenders and a 3 speed on the column with a 283. The 57' had the v8 emblems on the door. Thanks, I am looking forward to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 1957_Chevy_Truck; 03-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.