The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
gmachinz
Account Suspended

This is what happens when the wife can't keep a hold of the door on a windy day!

Man was I not happy when I seen this! The wind racked the door to the point when my wife shut it and attempted to re-open it, the door edge caught the fender and rolled in it a bit. On the plus side, insurance is paying me out for the "body shop damage estimate" which is actually enough for me to replace the rear steel bumper, fix a few misc. dings/dents, replace the fender and re-shoot the entire truck!! I told my wife there's a silver lining to all this-you'll end up with a show quality finish when I'm done with it and it'll be the best looking Yukon in the city!!

She'll have to deal without having her truck for about a week but she get over that when she sees the finished truck.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: This is what happens when the wife can't keep a hold of the door on a windy day!

didn't bend the hinges?! You got lucky
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: This is what happens when the wife can't keep a hold of the door on a windy day!

That's what I meant when I said racked-it did indeed bend the hinges slightly up and outward. That's why the door caught the fender the second time she opened the door. There's a windy gap now and the door latches funny when it closes. I'm going to have to pull the front sheetmetal to even get to the hinges-and the door needs prepped....then there's a few dings to take care of, so I figured I might as well prep the whole truck for a re-paint.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Well, ordered parts for the Yukon today. Nobody appears to have any Denali part outs so I just ordered all new GM stuff. I'm giving myself 4 days to do a complete re-shoot, show finish cut/buff on the wife's truck. We'll see how it goes-I may have to post some updates along the way!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Well, I've tore down my wife's Yukon today-I've given myself 4 days for this project. I've fixed the drivers door, pulled the entire front clip, then knowing the rear bumper face bar needed replaced, I pulled everything and good grief I needed to replace ALL the rear bumper hardware as well as pull the factory hitch to be sandblasted. All rear bumper replacement parts are getting painted then undercoated....this crazy GM rear bumper rust-out dilemma is ridiculous!

Besides the rear bumper hardware I so bought:

NEW front bumper cover
NEW GMC grill emblem
NEW LH and RH signal lenses

Plan is to fix quite a few little dings, a nice sized dent, scuff/prep and shoot the entire truck and clear it....will work the clear finish up to a 3000 grit cut/buff. With what insurance is paying for the sprung door, I have enough to pay for everything I'm doing and replacing-so instead of having a "shop" replace the fender and blend the door, I'm doing the entire truck! Here are a few pics:
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I should commission you to fix my wife's 99 Tahoe. The left cargo door is starting to rust on bottom lip. I'll pay you 2 cases of beer and a trip to Smokey D's
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Lol.....I also have just the beginning of some crust trying to start along the bottom seam on all 4 doors as well-I'll be hitting/stripping the bottoms, applying 3M seam sealer then priming/top coating/clearing just the bottom halves. I'll be fixing every goofy little blemish this truck has-theres no other way to do it ya know?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Got some more work done today. Knocked down all the small door edge dings, used my uni-spotter to pull a small dent in the rear, pulled off the running boards to get access to a couple areas where it wants to start rusting. Epoxied a crack in the front fiberglass bumper reinforcement, hit the lower door edge seams, now just a lot of little work now....hope to have it painted and cleared by Saturday night.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Took me 5 minutes to grind the paint off and lay out the stud welds-and literally a minute to pull the dent out!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Didn't have a lot of time to keep stopping to take a lot of pics....tonight I called it a night after getting everything is epoxy sealer. Still have a couple spots to hit....scuff some exterior parts, etc. Didn't get as far as I wanted but I stayed at it as much as I could. Maybe next weekend it'll see some paint!
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Got base coat on. There's more room than it appears even though in the shop there's also a 73 SS 454 El Camino project and a 406 powered Vega under covers.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
UKNOWME

So where's the finished product? Did you get it done before deadline?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Wow, great job!

Yea, it's been a couple months, lets see the finished product!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Boog
laying low

And this ladies and gentlemen is what is known as the "snowball effect". It starts off with something small and grows from there.
Dang'd thing about rust is it attacks a whole vehicle too, not just the lower panels. Be proud you can do these repairs yourself.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
Gregski
Post Whore

wind my butt I think your wife just wanted the truck re painted, smart woman, ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
gmachinz
Account Suspended

lol....yeah I got it done. I've had a pretty hectic weekend so I haven't had a lol of time to post update pics. I had a lot of parts to sort out (NOS), my wife has not been feeling well so I've been entertaining the kids all weekend AND my best friend growing up has been discharged from the military after 18 years of service and dropped by for a surprise visit!

But, I'll post pics of the progress on the Yukon soon-the only spot of rust (which was horrendous) WAS limited to the rear bumper area-I was extremely surprised too! Wife doesn't mind at all having a nice new paint job either-but its a dual purpose situation too-I'll be taking over driving it soon because she'll be getting a newer Yukon (thinking about a '10 or '11) so I kinda had a vested interest in doing a thorough job on it-lol. Its not a show truck but I did knock it all down to 2000-grit before buffing-its as nice as when it was brand spankin new at least.