The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
blf

HEI, no spark after fuel injection install

Hey folks -- finally got time to work on my fuel injection install, wrapped everything up yesterday, and I cant get it to crank. The truck ran fine before I started working on it, but regardless I'm getting the sense it's a problem with my ignition/distributor. I do NOT have any ignition control with my FI setup, it ONLY reads the tach signal off the ignition.

Now I am pretty ignorant to how these things work. I probably know less about the ignition than just about anything on the truck, but here's what's going on:
  • No spark, tested with a jumper stuck into a plug wire, and holding near a ground. Also hooked up a timing light and it isn't flashing. I'm going to pick up a spark tester too, just to confirm.
  • Fitech reads "0" RPM during cranking -- it connects to the "tach" terminal on the distributor.
At first I saw the 0 RPM and thought that my issue was the Fitech not picking up the tach signal, but now I'm thinking there is no signal.

What I've done/tried:
  • Pulled the terminals from the distributor and hooked directly to them (see pix below) to make sure I have connections...
  • Reterminated/soldered the terminals back on.
  • Pulled the coil and checked it with a volt meter (.6 ohm primary, 7,xxx ohms on the secondary, within spec according to my googling).
  • "Batt" connection is good, getting 12.xx volts there with key on, 10-11 volts when cranking.
  • Grounded dist. body to frame w/ jumper.
  • Grounded dist. "GND" terminal to frame w/ jumper (no wire on this normally)
  • Powered dist. direct to battery w/ jumper.
  • Tried cranking without the tach wire hooked up.

So it seems like I don't have any issues with power or the coil. All I did to this distributor, as far as I know, is take the lid off, and plug the "tach" wire into it from the fitech. Now that its all together it won't run.

It seems really hard to believe something died in my distributor during this process -- any guesses on what might be going on??? I am stumped. My next move will be to test w/ that spark tester, and if I'm 100% sure I have no spark, to get a rebuild kit for the HEI I guess... I have no no idea what kind of HEI this is, but the cover looks oldish to me...will any rebuild kit fit it or do I need to figure out what I have first?

Here's a pic of my dist cover showing the "tach" terminal I've hooked up to, and the batt terminal I've tested against:

http://i.imgur.com/iUq5G2I.jpg

Here's my connections (red ignition -> dist batt terminal and fitech blue wire -> dist tach terminal). I have the cover off and the connections made directly for testing...

http://i.imgur.com/hGt8njv.jpg

Thanks all!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
elkniks

Re: HEI, no spark after fuel injection install

is the ignition module plugged into the cap?
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkniks View Post
is the ignition module plugged into the cap?
Hmm... like the lower part to the upper part? I will have to check, it'd be nice if it was that easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
firedemon

I have forgotten the rotor in a rush to get it fired up before and the button under the coil that contacts the rotor
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
I have forgotten the rotor in a rush to get it fired up before and the button under the coil that contacts the rotor
Only thing is I didn't take any of it apart -- just plugged in the tach wire.. furthest I went was taking the cover off!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Save yourself some coin and try the cheap test light method first.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...BsTAjgAQdCF6og
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
blf

Thanks all for your replies. elkniks nailed it... the harness from the bottom was unplugged -- with all the stuff on the back side of the intake I didn't notice it and I haven't spent enough time with these things to realize it was missing. Now that I've seen how more of it works it seems obvious live and learn... Tomorrow I'll see if she fires up!
Posted via Mobile Device