The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Cowl cover to cowl spacer?

Decided to replace the cowl seal on the dog today, and found these spacers placed where the cowl cover mounts to the cowl. Are these common? I don't see them in the book. I'm trying to determine my project truck needs them more than this truck. Steal from Peter to pay Paul.

Obviously my 71 didn't have them. There was a washer on the RH side however. I figured it was added because the fender to cowl alignment was done so poorly.

Thanks.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Cowl cover to cowl spacer?

Those are body shim, very common, but not always on both side, whatever was needed was used for line up of the hood to cowl and fender gaps. In your picture you can see another one behind the fender bolt, those are a different shape than the one under the cowl, they are rounded and larger, generally only used on the fenders (from the factory).
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Those are body shim, very common, but not always on both side, whatever was needed was used for line up of the hood to cowl and fender gaps. In your picture you can see another one behind the fender bolt, those are a different shape than the one under the cowl, they are rounded and larger, generally only used on the fenders (from the factory).
I should have said shim. Anyway, yeah I think I'll use washers or similar instead, save these for the "good" truck if I need them. Perhaps the fender was pulled on the 71, they lost one of these shims and used a washer instead.

Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

I have pulled more than 50 of those cowl panels and I would bet less than half had any shims at all and when they do I never noticed if they had them on both sides or not. I never even think about it. I do have a coffee can full of those, new and used, I just get them out when fitting up the parts. Before paint I fit the whole body and mark which shims are needed, size number and location, then when I re-assemble it goes together smoother. Those come in at least 2 different thicknesses.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I have pulled more than 50 of those cowl panels and I would bet less than half had any shims at all and when they do I never noticed if they had them on both sides or not. I never even think about it. I do have a coffee can full of those, new and used, I just get them out when fitting up the parts. Before paint I fit the whole body and mark which shims are needed, size number and location, then when I re-assemble it goes together smoother. Those come in at least 2 different thicknesses.
Now if I can just talk the body man into assembling this truck before & after paint.

Edit: I have another reason for a "rehearsal". Most of this truck didn't have body side molding. The bed did and the holes are welded up. It's going to have rear, and at least lower body moldings. The body guy is comfortable drilling after paint. Me, not so much.

Can't very well line things up without new bushings. I don't know what you do, but if we plan it right, I don't see a reason we can't mount the cab one time. Just paint the bottom first, slap it on a fresh frame and leave it. Seems the frame would make for a great "cab cart and transport".

Maybe I'm wrong, but the new bushings may preference I mount the cab one time only. That and I prefer not to handle the cab twice. I don't have a hoist and don't have the space to own one.

BTW, I think you told me to put the shims back on (it needs them) and buy a body shim kit. Any recommendations? This seems to be a good option: https://www.zoro.com/disco-body-shim..._qIq-kcpIx_JPG

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-14-2017 at 06:37 PM.