The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
EJ71chevy

What next

I have my 71 c10 in parts right now. I have my compressor set to paint just need lights and another gun for primer. I have the bed apart the cab on a dolly just waiting on metal and argon tank to start it. Need 2 new front fenders and inner fenders rocker panels and cab corners, also have to fix the lower part of the doors. I have a 350 that needs to be gone through to make sure everything is good I have 4 speed to go in the floor just need bellhousing and clutch kit. I want to go through the differential and refresh it. I have the rolling frame sitting here that I want to convert back breaks to disc lower the truck with 2.5 drop spindles and 4 in the back, put new ball joints and front suspension. I need to sandblast clean prime and paint the frame. My question is where should I start? Do I do all the work to the frame and then the engine to get all that together? Or should I start on the body work and leave that till last?
EJ71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Shinysideup

Re: What next

Sounds like you have a good start and a plan. I did my chassis first, now Im done with the engine rebuild and on to trans rebuild and working in between on starting some of the rust repair. Bodywork/paint is last.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

There called ground up restorations for a reason, always start with the frame and suspension first , then driveline then body and paint finish with interior and glass last .
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
bs46488

Frame first and build onto it from their. Paint and bodywork last.

Funny observation, when I first started I could cut, weld, grind, scrap, use my truck as a work bench, etc. Now that I have some finished body panels and paint, It has slowed my progress because I don't want to damage the paint.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
There called ground up restorations for a reason, always start with the frame and suspension first , then driveline then body and paint finish with interior and glass last .
Posted via Mobile Device
That's my plan. OP is ahead of me. I still have to build a cab cart.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote