The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
par4tom

Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

After 3 months, forty or fifty phone calls, three false starts and numerous disappointments, I was finally able to piece together an NP 440 / MY6 transmission.

One of the guys here on the forum got me started on this venture and I think I'm really going to appreciate the fact that he did.

First, this transmission if a 4 speed overdrive unit that allows me to still have some fun working a manual transmission. Captain Fab hooked me up on the brake booster bracket for the hydraulic clutch and the quality was first notch. Not to mention, his pricing is really, really affordable for what you get. Those of you sitting on the fence, get hooked up with him. He's a wealth of knowledge!

For those guys that are looking to find one of these trannies, all I can say is good luck! The Car-Parts website is basically a huge misprint, as a lot of the yards say they have this tranny, but what they really end up having is something completely different.

For somebody who is looking, Hon's in SC has a complete unit with rods but no shifter. It includes the bell housing.

Also, S-K Speed on the east coast, has a slew of these transmissions complete and ready to go. I think he said he had 10 of them. He also has the shifters. Just be ready to cough up about $2,200 to $2,500 for the complete unit rebuilt.

As for me, I found the transmission I was looking for in Oregon, Music Man had a nice shifter and two sets of rods in Chino Hills (Thanks Music!) and I found a third set of rods in Montana that will work with the forward/offset bracket like mine.

All in all, I spent about $700 for the complete unit and that included having the tranny serviced with new seals, turning down the front bearing and complete tuneup of the rods and shifters.

It shifts really nice...can't wait to get it into the truck and running here soon.

Thanks to the forum, Music and Captain for the help...my wallet hurts a little bit more but I'm having a blast pulling this whole thing together. The sense of accomplishment is the best part...

If somebody else is looking for this tranny, hit me up as I'll try and help you out. I feel I owe the forum a favor after all the help you've given me.

I do have a couple of sets of rods but each set is for a certain type of mounting bracket. Music Man can tell you about that...Name:  82 chevy truck trans 004.jpg
Views: 11301
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  trans arrived.jpg
Views: 5745
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  trans overhaul.jpg
Views: 6080
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  bellhousing.jpg
Views: 5886
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  np 400 MY 6.jpg
Views: 6294
Size:  65.7 KB

Here's a few before and after pics...good luck on this! And don't wait to find one...they have all but disappeared!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495

Last edited by par4tom; 04-05-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote