The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
81square

desmogging 250 integrated head

I want to rebuild and desmog my 250 in my truck to hopefully get a little more power. I can get a rebuild kit with oversized pistons for about 3-400 online, but how easy/difficult is it to desmog a 250 with an integrated head? Any input appreciated.
Attached Images

81square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Joe Z

Re: desmogging 250 integrated head

I have the same motor and love how much low end torque they have, out pulls my 350. Really the only things you can do is put a block off plate on the egr (I used a soda can), take the 2 oil breather tubes that feed into the intake and put a breather on a T fitting to tie them together. Me and a friend fiddled with the idea of taking all the ports out in the head and putting a ton of breathers in it for the heck of it but never did.

As for the pistons an oldtimer told me 307 pistons drop right in. Jacks Machine Shop in Kingston Pa. if you look it up on google and give him a call he built one and is pretty knowledgeable on them. I'd tell him what you want to do with it and he can point you in the right direction.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
GMDad

Re: desmogging 250 integrated head

You can also change the head and put an earlier non integral head on your motor. But then you have to change your exhaust and power steering mount if you have one. We used to be able to find the integral head with low mileage on them as they were noted for the head cracking. Buy the used motor, change the head and good to go.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote