The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Kirk52

Wipers parking in the wrong direction

I installed a new wiper motor in my "70 C20 because my wipers were only working on low speed. Thanks to this forum I found out how to test it and it was in fact bad. I put in a new (rebuilt) wiper motor and I now have 2 speed wipers again. The only problem now is that it wants to "park" the wipers 180 degrees the opposite way. In other words, when I first turn on the wiper switch, the wipers go down towards the hood. The "park" position is to the left. Real weird.
Any suggestions?
Kirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
68Gold/white

Re: Wipers parking in the wrong direction

The arm that attaches to the motor shaft is in the wrong position. Remove the wiper arms from their shafts. Mark the ends of the shafts w/ a sharpie to where they "need" to be parked. Reposition the arm on the shaft, until you get it where you want it, then re-install wiper arms..it can be a little bit of a tedious deal...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Kirk52

Thank you for that info. I will go try that now and let you know.

Thank you
Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I don't think that will work. That is going to cause his wiper motor to drive the blades into the cowling and probably blow a fuse. The rebuilt motor he has is somehow clocked wrong. He needs to get the motor exchanged. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Kirk52

I think I explained my problem erroneously. The wipers were not parking 180 degrees off but more like 90 degrees. Removing the wiper mechanism from the motor shaft and re-positioning it seemed to do the trick.

Thank you for everyone's help.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Were your wipers going off the windshield? Just curious.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Kirk52

Yes they were going down across the cowl towards the hood. I had to take the cowl back off, took off the nut that holds the wiper "mechanism" for lack of a better word and re-position it on the motor shaft until they would park and rotate the right way
Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Nomadicflyer

Just dealing with this now. First week back on the road after a frame off resto, including new wiper motor. Glad to hear it's just reclocking the drive of the wiper motor to the wiper arm drive lever. One more removal of the cowl panel.....
Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
Newt

This is a FYI. I am posting it here becasue it may be more visible. I have previously posted regarding problems that I was experiencing with the installation of a NewPort Engineering wiper motor. I started with a bare cab, 65 Chevy C10, and I had no idea what the original OEM wiper motor looked like, how it was installed or how the wiper transmission was oriented. Anyway, I ended up buying a Newport Engineering wiper motor. Note: I installed the wiper motor AFTER I installed the Vintage Air AC System. I studied the NE install instructions ;however, I could not really tell how the motor was SUPPOSED to be oriented to make it work properly. I ASSumed it would only fit in one position... wrong assumption, The motor, when correctly installed, was supposed to be at the approx 5 oclock position; however, I could not install it there because the AC vent contacted the motor. I rotated the motor to the approx 1 oclock position and I was able to bolt the motor in place. I assumed this was correct because I thought it would only fit one way. As you can imagine this caused parking problems and 1 year, two transmission assemblies, phone calls and e-mails to NE and several wiper blades later, I discovered I installed the motor in the wrong position. BTW, IMO,NE has horrible customer service. They sell a fine, expensive product though. I still had the motor and decided I could mount the motor at the 11 oclock position, 180 degrees out from the 5 oclock positio , and make it work. This meant that I would have to locate and drill 3 new mounting holes on the motor mounting plate which I did and now all seeems to be operating correctly. I hope this helps someone.
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
Nomadicflyer

Thanks, Newt~ Good intel. What a PITA. Glad to hear you adapted and overcame the obstacle! I have yet to pull off my cowl panel and reclock my drive arm on my wiper unit, following new motor install during resto.