The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
ubtripn

Dumb question but I need help

On my farm a relative stored an old chevy van, don't know the year but the door handles are like my 68. I know its older and now it's been abandoned. Anyway, it has 8 lug wheels but it has disk brakes.

I was wondering if I could use the disc brakes on my truck?

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
paulbrgr9999

Re: Dumb question but I need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
On my farm a relative stored an old chevy van, don't know the year but the door handles are like my 68. I know its older and now it's been abandoned. Anyway, it has 8 lug wheels but it has disk brakes.

I was wondering if I could use the disc brakes on my truck?

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.
As far as I know disk brakes were not introduced until 71. So I would think the truck has to be 71 or newer. As far as fitting on your truck I dont know.
paulbrgr9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
hugger6933

There is no dumb question if you don't know the answer, and how do most folks learn? By asking questions. Now the things on your van are probably very different and I know that the 1/2 ton guys find that van stuff of not much use to them but it is possible that maybe the rotors and calipers could work, but that is about all the A-arms would be Way too short I would think making the spindle of no use to you as well. I am sure somebody may have tried it anyway and found out for themselves and will step up and say something.
This is like the interchange for the late model trucks we use in the salvage industry called Hollender. It is the foremost information on what changes to what and witch models cross. I needed a axle shaft a couple months ago and didn't have a 99-04 [for disk brakes] just a 05-07 [for drums]and the interchange said it wouldn't work, but the axles are the same. I tried and glad I did cause I didn't want to tear down a whole rear just for a shaft when I had one laying there if it would work and it did. Good luck to you. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
ubtripn

Thank you all, I was worried a bit because of the engine position possible impacting the design of the set-up and this confirms it for me. My 68 has a new engine so I may as well spring for the full conversion kit. Thanks again!
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote