The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
davepl

Emp

I'm not a survivalist, but now that North Korea claims to have something that can reach my town... I'm (mostly jokingly) wondering what it'd take to get a vehicle running after an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) strike.

My truck would be hooped because I have a 4L80E and a TCM to control it.

I've got other 1969 and 1970 vehicles that have no electronics except one has a Pertronix and the other has HEI.

I don't think HEI would survive an EMP either because it's transistorized.

Time to look for that points distributor I guess!

Probably the ultimate would be an old diesel....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Emp

Build a Faraday cage and put spare control modules in there.

Then the question remains... how is everyone else going to handle you having a working ride when everyone else doesn't?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
harpo231

I would use KelTech theft deterrent or DPMS Panther. either one will work !
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
truckster

HEI module wrapped in aluminum foil.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
CastIron

What to do after an EMP: Insert key into ignition cylinder and turn to crank position. Turn back to run after engine starts.

I've read a few different articles on this and it sounds like almost all cars won't be affected. And if they are running during the EMP, the engine might shut off, but it usually restarts. I'm on the west coast too, and I'm not stressed about it.

The best type of transportation in any type of disaster is actually a mountain bike. You don't need roads, you can carry it if needed, and you don't have to find fuel (as long as you're able to pedal at least).
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
demian5

Tinfoil Armadillo
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
...sounds like almost all cars won't be affected..
Indeed the notion that vehicles will fail to operate after a Nuclear Device induced EMP has largely been debunked.

The mountain bike method does sound good. Guess I'd just throw my Gary Fisher Hookooekoo in the bed before taking off for the hills!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
jeffahart

Forget about the truck! Save yourself!... And here's how! Pre attack prep: Get a Rambo knife. After attack smear some mud on your face... all else will fall into place.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  3.6 KB

Name:  d474bd2ae6ef9e5968e18523a87d8f3d.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
davepl

I would imagine gasoline would be a lot harder to find than an operable vehicle I guess, all things considered. I know when the power went out here for 12 days or so, we ran out of local gasoline by day 5 but diesel was still available.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
Coley

Smile Re: Emp

"...what it'd take to get a vehicle running after an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) strike"

Wow, thats a good question. I've never thought much about this.
I have a spare set of points my auto stuff somewhere....so hopefully that would do it.
What all does an EMP hit supposedly knock out...and what does it leave?
Is it just printed circuits?....no wires or fuses or?

That said, if something like that happened...I'm not sure exactly where I would be travelling too in a hurry.....perhaps living on an island has a say in that...lol

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
"...what it'd take to get a vehicle running after an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) strike"

Wow, thats a good question. I've never thought much about this.
I have a spare set of points my auto stuff somewhere....so hopefully that would do it.
What all does an EMP hit supposedly knock out...and what does it leave?
Is it just printed circuits?....no wires or fuses or?

That said, if something like that happened...I'm not sure exactly where I would be travelling too in a hurry.....perhaps living on an island has a say in that...lol

all good
Coley
It all depends on two factors: 1. The size of the pulse, and 2. The distance from the pulse. As CastIron says, the likelihood that EMP would knock out your car's electronics is very low. It would be more likely to affect your radio reception, but you can live without that. An EMP pulse would have to be very large to knock out larger circuits, although it has happened. In the 1962 Starfish Prime detonation power was knocked out in parts of Hawaii (over 700 miles away), microwave telecommunications between the island was disrupted, and seven satellites eventually failed due to exposure to high-energy electrons.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Get storage units north of the border.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Just like most Americans aren't prepared to run 1 mile in under 30 minutes, most of the country isn't prepared for a serious disaster. Google "Hurricane Katrina" if anyone is in doubt of that statement.

If the US was hit with an EMP and it did take out the power grid we would be looking at widespread civil unrest within hours and certainly within days. Few Americans have more than three days' worth of food stored....anyone recall the rolling blackout that occurred in the Northeast in 2003 or 2004? I do. People were scared to death.

The same people that rioted in Ferguson and Baltimore would be doing so all over. It would get bad very quickly.

North Korea does what North Korea always does: they break international law and violate the cease fire and the cowards in charge then bribe them with concessions. This is how the North Koreans got their first nuclear reactor which they used to build up fissionable material for nuclear bombs.
Their people are starved in order to feed their military. The average North Korean is so malnourished and has been for so long, they are literally shorter than those Koreans in the South. If you don't think they'd share their nuke tech with Iran and terrorist groups, I have twenty sets of NOS gold-plated K10 tow hooks I will sell you for pennies on the dollar.

The North Korean govt is a savage example of the worst of communism. If you or someone you know has served on the DMZ, you'll know this.

An EMP has hit the US before, by our own hands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...magnetic_pulse
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I heard yesterday that Trump went on to boast to Russia that we have intelligence that Isis had technology to electronically effect planes in flight. I know, take with a grain of salt, it's "the news". But, electronic warfare is certainly a new element to consider.

It would be more than the people in Ferguson and Baltimore rioting is the sh!t hit the fan. Even in the "good neighborhoods" people are pure dependents. I'm not a survivalist in the popular sense. But, I have always lived with being able to survive off the land as a priority. The natural world is where my heart is and living off the system is just a convenient way to live, as long as it's there. As far as the short term inconveniences from power outages and such goes, I take those in stride. When a blizzard is called for, no special trip to the store is necessary. My cupboards and freezer are always full and I store my well water for utility and spring water for drinking at all times. I have my bicycles, points distributors, practical clothing, boots, training & equipment to survive. And could walk to California if I had to. I ain't worried about it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #15
67 chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Just like most Americans aren't prepared to run 1 mile in under 30 minutes, most of the country isn't prepared for a serious disaster. Google "Hurricane Katrina" if anyone is in doubt of that statement.

The same people that rioted in Ferguson and Baltimore would be doing so all over. It would get bad very quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...magnetic_pulse
We live in a sad time , can you imagine what people from the fifties would think if they slept for 60 years and woke up now , everybody fifty pounds overweight or more , and kids that are afraid to go outside . When I was a kid we hunt and fished , played "kick the can" "hide and seak" "spin the bottel" all day every day till 5 0 clock , when everyone sat down for family dinner .
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #16
fatbass

A mass coronal ejection is more likely than a human-caused EMP but would do the same kind of damage, maybe much more. The thing is, the sun has a much greater capacity to overwhelm our puny human electrical infrastructure and electronics than some measly fission bombs in the atmosphere.
The last great mass coronal ejection, The Carrington Event, was in 1859. Check out the following:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...event-science/
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
hamjet

It wouldn't matter if your truck still ran. you would be the one of very few so people would be trying to hold you up for your truck with all kinds of reasons. plus all the other vehicles would be dead on the roads blocking ways to get anywhere. where would you want to go any way, it would be world wide. best stay home and hunker down to protect what you have left, oh, and don't forget your foil hat.....
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

A suction style fuel pump and 30-40 foot of hose. Just wire it to the car battery and drop it down the filler hole for the fuel tank in the ground.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Hey Deland, don't forget to have plenty of cases of ethanol preserver on hand

My only concern is that microchip "they" implanted in my brain would stop and I'd freeze up just like the cars. Well, I do have a couple other concerns regarding this. Who the heck are "they" and why would they want to chip my brain anyway ?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #20
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Uhm, Tim? I think it's time you schedule another visit with your shrink.

I'm thinking the ideal transportation method would be a horse

Either way, I'm in before the lock
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
Coley

...anyone think about a bike?....lol.
To be quite honest in this type of situation it might be the fastest way around locally if that were required.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I heard yesterday that Trump went on to boast to Russia that we have intelligence that Isis had technology to electronically effect planes in flight. I know, take with a grain of salt, it's "the news". But, electronic warfare is certainly a new element to consider.

It would be more than the people in Ferguson and Baltimore rioting is the sh!t hit the fan. Even in the "good neighborhoods" people are pure dependents. I'm not a survivalist in the popular sense. But, I have always lived with being able to survive off the land as a priority. The natural world is where my heart is and living off the system is just a convenient way to live, as long as it's there. As far as the short term inconveniences from power outages and such goes, I take those in stride. When a blizzard is called for, no special trip to the store is necessary. My cupboards and freezer are always full and I store my well water for utility and spring water for drinking at all times. I have my bicycles, points distributors, practical clothing, boots, training & equipment to survive. And could walk to California if I had to. I ain't worried about it.
This is my life's practice as well. I know I can provide for my family in the worst of conditions and we can defend ourselves very well. I would prefer not to have to go down that path, but I am ready should life take us there.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #23
Grumpy old man

I wouldn't worry about transportation , I'd be more concerned about keeping what's mine , mine. There are so many benifits to having rural land , I'd drop a few large oaks across my road and sit back and relax until the crazies run out of food and water , after that ......
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #24
morepower71

Being in WA like myself I would worry more about the Cascadia fault quake. I am out by Mt. Rainier so I have to worry about that also.

Worst thing in an EMP attack is the power grid going down. (source: Work for a power co.) There is only a few days worth of food in any store and about day 5 people will start losing their poop and keeping your stuff yours becomes a lot more important.

EDIT: http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

some light reading about the subject.

Last edited by morepower71; 05-17-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add link
morepower71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 AM   #25
PaulJONES

[QUOTE=special-K;7943909electronic warfare is certainly a new element to consider.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. We'll just go up to the mountains and try to be cavemen to be safe. LOL. Kidding aside, everyone should prioritize themselves and family to be safe rather than thinking about how to save the cars. Cheers!
tow truck st louis
PaulJONES is offline   Reply With Quote