The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
70GMCer

Is It Worth Continuing ?

I bought this 83 back in early April (this year) knowing that I got a good deal, but not knowing how far I want to go with it.

I wanted to 1st get most everything mechanically correct & then make a discussion on whether to keep going or not.

After buying the truck, thinking it was a short bed fleet, I found out that somewhere in it's past, that a sb frame & the bed had been changed out.

This was an original Long bed I found out after the fact.

Who ever did the change did it right though.

The original cab, front sheet metal & drive train are still intact. 305 4brl w/400 trans & 12 bolt rear. Although I don't think the trans is original.

This is also a rust free truck & it is a well optioned Silverado.

How ever, most of the cruise control parts are missing. The AC system is missing the lines & compressor.

The interior is complete along with the power windows, locks, tilt column AM/FM & pulse wipers.

I got everything working such as all the gauges.

Replaced Lights, new headliner & carpet.

Interior is freshened up to driver quality. Installed a new front windshield, front bumper & other odds & ends.

The decision is whether to continue on to do the paint, front & rear suspension rubber, repair or replace the AC, & cruise control or sell it......

The PO had just put on new tires, exhaust, shocks & brakes all around.

I guess what's holding me back is the fact that it is NOT an original SB truck.

So, not sure if I want to put anymore money into it.

So far, including the price of the truck, I have about $7500 into it.

Looking for honest opinions on what to do.......
Attached Images

1965 Mustang

Last edited by 70GMCer; 05-31-2018 at 12:47 PM.
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
RotaryRocketeer

Re: Is It Worth Continuing ?

If you're doing all this with the intention of getting your money back later on down the road, that's probably not gonna happen anyway. I say keep it, do what you want, and just enjoy a nice old truck. Maybe not the greatest investment though.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
RWJJR

Absolutely nothing wrong with that truck..if the frame and bed was changed it was done right...Why does that matter?? If the trans was changed and it works right...Why does that matter?? Proabably on 90 out of 100 the crusie and AC are missing, so no shocker there. Original is very overrated these days, and nobody really cares in C10 trucks anyway.
And BTW you have the molding around the headlights "upside down" , they need the flip sides. The more rounded corner goes on the bottom.. and the front bumper is from a 73-80
RWJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

You will not get the cruise control working properly, based on my cc experience with my 83. The control stalk on the steering column is the likely defective part, and it is no longer available. The 83 cruise control also has a small circuit board in a red plastic box under the dash, and that part is also not available. If you want cruise control, an aftermarket electronic cruise control is the only choice you have, which would be better than the vacuum actuated cruise which is the stock setup.

As was mentioned, your truck is not likely to be a good investment with putting more money into it. If you want a reliable truck that looks nice I think you would be money ahead by just buying a late model truck in the $10-$15K range.

People fix up these older square trucks because they like the look of the older trucks, but you will spend more money in the long run just getting the old truck reliable and looking nice. Unless you have a TBI fuel injected 87 with a small V8 or V6, you will not get good fuel economy, and after several years you will be money ahead on getting a newer EFI truck just in fuel savings. You will have computer related issues on newer trucks (ECU, lots of sensors, ABS, etc.) but those parts are becoming cheaper as aftermarket suppliers make them available. Modern mechanics mostly have no clue regarding older carbureted engines, so you need to find an old mechanic who is knowledgeable about these trucks unless you are very handy yourself. I do the simple stuff, but I let the pros do the heavy lifting.

Vehicles are generally a waste of money, unless you use them in your line of work, so in that case they can make you money. I live centrally located in a big city, and I actually tried living without using my vehicles for about 6 weeks after I sold my last new vehicle. It was cheaper for me to rent a car on the weekends to run errands and do shopping (average $20-$25 for the whole weekend) and take trips out of town. I took the bus to work because I was still working then. I do like the convenience of having the old truck available at all times, for the impulsive trips to Home Depot or dump hauls, but if I wasn't so hooked on impulsive action I would sell the truck also. I only use the truck about 800 miles per year, so it would be much cheaper to rent a truck for that little amount of driving.

Transportation is usually the last reason for buying a vehicle. We mostly buy vehicles for "non-rational" reasons, like appearance, status,etc.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
AtomicYJ

I'd say keep it if its on an original swb frame and bed. I'd never buy a vehicle with a cut or extended frame. I know that it can be done right but I wouldn't be comfortable with a modified frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
AtomicYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Truck looks good. Like the others say though, it is not a money making venture normally. Drive it /enjoy it, but I would not dump much into it if you just have it for resale.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJJR View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that truck..if the frame and bed was changed it was done right...Why does that matter?? If the trans was changed and it works right...Why does that matter?? Proabably on 90 out of 100 the crusie and AC are missing, so no shocker there. Original is very overrated these days, and nobody really cares in C10 trucks anyway.
And BTW you have the molding around the headlights "upside down" , they need the flip sides. The more rounded corner goes on the bottom.. and the front bumper is from a 73-80
Thanks for the comment.

That picture is what the truck looked like the day I bought it.

I've since changed the front to be correct....
Attached Images

1965 Mustang
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
You will not get the cruise control working properly, based on my cc experience with my 83. The control stalk on the steering column is the likely defective part, and it is no longer available. The 83 cruise control also has a small circuit board in a red plastic box under the dash, and that part is also not available. If you want cruise control, an aftermarket electronic cruise control is the only choice you have, which would be better than the vacuum actuated cruise which is the stock setup.

As was mentioned, your truck is not likely to be a good investment with putting more money into it. If you want a reliable truck that looks nice I think you would be money ahead by just buying a late model truck in the $10-$15K range.

People fix up these older square trucks because they like the look of the older trucks, but you will spend more money in the long run just getting the old truck reliable and looking nice. Unless you have a TBI fuel injected 87 with a small V8 or V6, you will not get good fuel economy, and after several years you will be money ahead on getting a newer EFI truck just in fuel savings. You will have computer related issues on newer trucks (ECU, lots of sensors, ABS, etc.) but those parts are becoming cheaper as aftermarket suppliers make them available. Modern mechanics mostly have no clue regarding older carbureted engines, so you need to find an old mechanic who is knowledgeable about these trucks unless you are very handy yourself. I do the simple stuff, but I let the pros do the heavy lifting.

Vehicles are generally a waste of money, unless you use them in your line of work, so in that case they can make you money. I live centrally located in a big city, and I actually tried living without using my vehicles for about 6 weeks after I sold my last new vehicle. It was cheaper for me to rent a car on the weekends to run errands and do shopping (average $20-$25 for the whole weekend) and take trips out of town. I took the bus to work because I was still working then. I do like the convenience of having the old truck available at all times, for the impulsive trips to Home Depot or dump hauls, but if I wasn't so hooked on impulsive action I would sell the truck also. I only use the truck about 800 miles per year, so it would be much cheaper to rent a truck for that little amount of driving.

Transportation is usually the last reason for buying a vehicle. We mostly buy vehicles for "non-rational" reasons, like appearance, status,etc.
I kinda figured that cruise control would be an issue.

But if I decide to keep, I would like to get the AC working

1965 Mustang
Old 05-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Truck looks good. Like the others say though, it is not a money making venture normally, especially a cut down truck. Drive it /enjoy it, but I would not dump much into it if you just have it for resale.
That's just the thing. I'm not really looking to sell at the moment. Just trying to decide if I should put more money into it So when I do sell, not take a beating on it...

1965 Mustang
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
RWJJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicYJ View Post
I'd say keep it if its on an original swb frame and bed. I'd never buy a vehicle with a cut or extended frame. I know that it can be done right but I wouldn't be comfortable with a modified frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
From what he said the frame was replaced ..not cut or modified. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, or cutting them if done the right way. Lots were done in the late 70s and 80s and are still fine to this day.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
RWJJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
That's just the thing. I'm not really looking to sell at the moment. Just trying to decide if I should put more money into it So when I do sell, not take a beating on it...
I'm just curious as to what tipped you off that the frame has been changed?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJJR View Post
I'm just curious as to what tipped you off that the frame has been changed?
The SPID label stated 131 inch wheelbase & the front frame rails are different. That's one reason that there was a earlier front bumper on it.

I had to cut off a small portion of the frame rails so that they would except the 83 bumper & brackets.

1965 Mustang
Old 06-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
aharper33

Honestly for me I would probably keep working on it. It seems to be a reasonably clean truck and something that is probably more original than most. I would think you are probably just over the break even point of resale value to the amount of money you have put into it so far.
aharper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Dead Parrot

Looks perfectly useful as is. As far as money recovery, it is almost always cheaper to buy someone else's finished project truck then buy cheap and do yourself. OTOH, since it is already a mix master truck, you don't have to worry about folks claiming you shouldn't have 'destroyed an original' truck if you get some interesting idea to try.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
I kinda figured that cruise control would be an issue.

But if I decide to keep, I would like to get the AC working

You can get the cruise working, but maybe its just going to be a conversion. Perhaps to a newer column with the newer stalk. I wouldn't sell the truck. Cause:

1. You've already got a lot of time and money invested, which you won't get back and

2. You'd just want another one. Might as well stick with the one you already know and add what you want to it.

3. Seems like a perfectly good truck. No rust or wrecks then good to go.

Last edited by bennylava; 06-04-2018 at 05:48 PM.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
rainamy

Look, it all depends how you define being an original swb truck. You've got an original frame. You've got an original bed. What you've got, is a cab swap onto an original swb IMO.

As far as fix or sell.... honestly, I feel you already have more into it than it would sell for. Around here, if rust free, that's a $5k truck.

So. If you want a swb to drive and enjoy, then finish it.

If you DON'T want a swb for personal use, then I'd say dump it before you get further in the hole.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
tucsonjwt

Rust would be the deal killer for me. If they salt the roads in Merry Land then I think you are fighting a losing battle.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #18
87Flh

Hell, I have more than that into mine and it doesn't look near as nice. Keep it. They're not making any more of them.
87Flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #19
fordguy40

Looks pretty sharp to me, especially for what you've got invested in it. I'd drive the wheels off it!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #20
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Rust would be the deal killer for me. If they salt the roads in Merry Land then I think you are fighting a losing battle.
I'm fortunate.....I don't have to worry about rust on this truck.....NO RUST ANYWHERE !!

1965 Mustang
Old 06-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #21
70GMCer

Thanks for all the replies......

The 2 most important "Big Ticket" things to do to this is the paint & whether to replace the AC system with a "Vintage Air" or collect all the parts needed to get the original AC up & going.

Those 2 things will set me back around $2000. I do the body & paint myself as well as all the other mechanical things

I'm at that point on making that decision.

Flipping a coin might be in my future.....lol

1965 Mustang
Old 06-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
Encinoman45

Being rust free would make all the difference to me. I'm sure you know as well as I do how hard it is to find rust free trucks in the rust belt. I say finish it.
Encinoman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
hatzie

The AC isn't bad to do yourself if you take your time and be careful. Maryland is close to Mordor on the Potomac so I'd be very careful to not vent refrigerant or look like that's what is going on. The EPA is worse than the IRS.

The obnoxious parts to replace will be the compressor and mounts. Hoses are generally easy to find. Hard lines can be brazed together or found used. The GM condenser is huge... Parallel flow is more efficient but the stock unit is so oversize you don't need it with the Sanden or Harrison A6 piston type compressors. If you have an original 80's Harrison R4 radial "pancake" compressor, and the stock condenser is gone, I'd install a parallel flow condenser.

If the evaporator has been open to the elements I'd replace it. The aluminum can corrode and road crud will turn the mineral oil in the tubes into a nasty cruddy varnish that's almost impossible to remove.

Rent or beg and borrow a vacuum pump and scale. Buy some good manifold gauges and oil injector.

The number of lbs of R134a will not match the R12 weight. The refrigerant scale is to determine how much refrigerant you used so it can be written down and duplicated at a later point...

I posted info on AC in this thread starting at post #6. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7688258
I like the Jungleeddy method in post #7 for charging an AC system with non-original refrigerant because it works.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 06-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The AC isn't bad to do yourself if you take your time and be careful. Maryland is close to Mordor on the Potomac so I'd be very careful to not vent refrigerant or look like that's what is going on. The EPA is worse than the IRS.

The obnoxious parts to replace will be the compressor and mounts. Hoses are generally easy to find. Hard lines can be brazed together or found used. The GM condenser is huge... Parallel flow is more efficient but the stock unit is so oversize you don't need it with the Sanden or Harrison A6 piston type compressors. If you have an original 80's Harrison R4 radial "pancake" compressor, and the stock condenser is gone, I'd install a parallel flow condenser.

If the evaporator has been open to the elements I'd replace it. The aluminum can corrode and road crud will turn the mineral oil in the tubes into a nasty cruddy varnish that's almost impossible to remove.

Rent or beg and borrow a vacuum pump and scale. Buy some good manifold gauges and oil injector.

The number of lbs of R134a will not match the R12 weight. The refrigerant scale is to determine how much refrigerant you used so it can be written down and duplicated at a later point...

I posted info on AC in this thread starting at post #6. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7688258
I like the Jungleeddy method in post #7 for charging an AC system with non-original refrigerant because it works.
I did read that thread. Thanks.....

I am very knowledgeable about AC as I am a retired HVAC tech.

I'm leaning more & more to the Vintage AC system as I did install one on my 63 Impala & it does work great.

I do agree about the system being opened for so long & thus contaminating the coils.

The main decision is on the price. Is the truck worth putting that kind of money into it?

I have to rethink my priorities....

1965 Mustang
Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #25
nonstop

I am going to go out on a limb here and say maybe you should get rid of it. Nothing against the truck or you, but you are so close to finishing and asking these questions. I think you may not necessarily want the truck, which is okay. You are so lucky to be able to do your own paint and body, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Additionally being a retired hvac guy, doing the ac shouldn’t be much of a problem. If you went back with the factory set up, you could buy the pieces piece by piece. Two thousand dollar outlay isn’t as bad spread out instead of one lump sum. It sounds like you may have lost interest, which is fine. A lot of us wish we were at the point you are in our own builds.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote