The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #26
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Re: '86 Crew Cab - The Race Car Hauler

Looks cool!

Can you post some more pics of your air intake and how the sleeve is attached to the rad support please?

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #27
MalibuSSwagon

We haven't had snow that sticks here yet, however the temp just dropped 20 degrees today. I believe the weather has finally turned.

Good work on the swap. I'm going a bit more low budget, I just rebuilt a camaro harness to put TPI on my 86 C10.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #28
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Looks cool!

Can you post some more pics of your air intake and how the sleeve is attached to the rad support please?
Thanks Gordon! See below.

As far as mounting it to the core support, well, that took some planning. I had to trim one of the mounting screws for the a/c condenser where the top tube mounts to the bracket next to the radiator. You can just see the bracket in the top photo. The hole for the original air tube needed to be enlarged by about a 1/4" all the way around. After all that was done I made my own gasket with sheet rubber I got from the local hydraulic shop so that it wasn't metal to metal. Then I held the air cleaner housing in the hole and drilled 4 holes. Cleaned it out and mounted it with 4 stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts.

The battery is closer than I thought it would be when I was planning this, but it doesn't seem to be to bad. I had a nervous moment when I had to hook the battery charger to the truck to start it. Ended up not being as bad as I thought. But I have some of that sheet rubber left over from the gasket I made and I'm thinking I will make a small pad to put in front of the positive terminal. If you want part numbers for all the pieces, I'll get those for you tomorrow.
Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #29
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
We haven't had snow that sticks here yet, however the temp just dropped 20 degrees today. I believe the weather has finally turned.

Good work on the swap. I'm going a bit more low budget, I just rebuilt a camaro harness to put TPI on my 86 C10.
Thanks! And good luck on your swap. I have mad respect for anyone who can rework there engine harness. I'm still trying to fix my cluster harness. I can't imagine how much chaos I would create attempting to do that.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #30
85crewcab

Very cool build!
Posted via Mobile Device
85crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
Can't kech me

That's cool that you are still chasin your dreams, you will have one of the most reliable,powerful, and coolest trucks around.

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #32
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Hi, if you could let me know the part numbers that would be great as I want to order the system in this week.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_H View Post
Thanks Gordon! See below.

As far as mounting it to the core support, well, that took some planning. I had to trim one of the mounting screws for the a/c condenser where the top tube mounts to the bracket next to the radiator. You can just see the bracket in the top photo. The hole for the original air tube needed to be enlarged by about a 1/4" all the way around. After all that was done I made my own gasket with sheet rubber I got from the local hydraulic shop so that it wasn't metal to metal. Then I held the air cleaner housing in the hole and drilled 4 holes. Cleaned it out and mounted it with 4 stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts.

The battery is closer than I thought it would be when I was planning this, but it doesn't seem to be to bad. I had a nervous moment when I had to hook the battery charger to the truck to start it. Ended up not being as bad as I thought. But I have some of that sheet rubber left over from the gasket I made and I'm thinking I will make a small pad to put in front of the positive terminal. If you want part numbers for all the pieces, I'll get those for you tomorrow.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
Blake_H

Gordon, sorry for the delay in getting these to you.

Spectre Performance
1) 9781 4" Rubber 90
1) 9799 4" 90
1) 9831 Filter housing
1) 990003 Adapter for the stock MAF Sensor
4) 9771 4" coupler

I have been really pleased with it, and it gets a lot of compliments. The only thing I would have done differently is go with a top mount battery instead of the side posts. After installing the lead from the amp, I had to put that piece of rubber on the filter housing to keep it from touching. It's not touching now, but that piece of insulation is for piece of mind.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #34
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Blake,

How is the truck doing? Haven't seen any updates from you in a while.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #35
Blake_H

Quote:

Spectre Performance
1) 9781 4" Rubber 90
1) 9799 4" 90
1) 9831 Filter housing
4) 9771 4" coupler
DirtyLarry pointed out that my list for the intake is incomplete. Thank you for that. Not only is it incomplete, but the links for some of the parts are wrong as well. Sorry about that. Here is the corrected parts list and links.

Spectre Performance
1) 9781 4" Rubber 90 (throttle body)
1) 9799 4" 90
1) 9831 Filter housing
1) 9729 4" 22 degree pipe that goes over the alternator.
4) 9771 4" coupler

Aside from the links not working right, I was missing the 22 degree elbow that goes over the alternator on mine.

I haven't done an update in quite a while, but the truck is running. We just took a road trip to the March Meet in Bakersfield, CA last weekend and put about a 1000 miles on it. It did eat a quart of oil, like DirtyLarry said it would and it got 12 miles per gallon for the trip. Not bad for a 6100 lbs. truck and 496 cubic inches. I will get back on track and do a complete update this week.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Nice work. Very impressive.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
nekkidhillbilly

i knew about the code and all my 01 trucks intake tube came loose one day and stalled the engine.
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Everything looks awesome, but I'd be careful using Fram filters. I've seen a few of them collapse internally and wipe out a few 5.9's. It wasn't real cool. Also, did Spectre supply the auminum tubing for your intake kit? If not, where did you get it from? Thanks Ryan.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #39
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Everything looks awesome, but I'd be careful using Fram filters. I've seen a few of them collapse internally and wipe out a few 5.9's. It wasn't real cool. Also, did Spectre supply the auminum tubing for your intake kit? If not, where did you get it from? Thanks Ryan.
I pieced it all together using Spectre's website and being fortunate to have a Summit Racing store in Sparks. When I first put it together, I bought everything I thought I would need, brought it home and tried it out. The MAF sensor turned out to be the biggest problem getting it to work. Overall I am really pleased with it, and it gets a lot of compliments. While we were filling up in Bakersfield and I was adding the aforementioned quart of oil, I got quite a few double takes as guys were walking by.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #40
Blake_H

So, the last real update on the progress of the build was back in early December. The whole reason for this project was I had accepted a new job in North Carolina, and we needed the truck to pull the trailer with all of our earthly possessions and race car to get back there. You may, or my not have wondered why I have stuff scattered between my folks place and mine. Well, my wife and I have been staying at my parents house while we remodeled our house. In the middle of the remodel, last year, I lost my job due to the housing implosion here in Reno. I was lucky I had been able to keep it as long as I did. So, I stopped working on the house last fall to do this truck so we could go to North Carolina. I had been working on a tight deadline of being ready to pull out of Reno on December 27th. So, by the 11th of December I had it running in the driveway, just no speedo yet, the only leak I had, I fixed and started putting the front end back together. On the 15th, we dropped it off the jack stands and were ready for a test drive. I got the speedo wired using pin 18 on cluster harness(FYI), which was the last major hurdle.

My dad was with me for the maiden voyage and it was a disaster. It backed up and onto the street and then wouldn't move. They live on a really busy street, so he and I jumped out and pushed it back on the driveway. At this point one of my worst fears had come true. I bought the transmission from a guy who said it was a GM reman that had never been run. Before I installed it, I had a shift kit and new torque converter installed on the bench by my trans guy and we both wondered if he shouldn't tear it down and check it from stem to stern. At the last minute I decided that the budget was getting tight and I really didn't have the money to do it.

Guess what? I had to find the money now. We had to tow it over to the trans shop and have him rush everything to check it out. Turned out to be bad forward clutches. So, 24 hours and $400.00 later I got to drive it home. That was the on the 16th. That's when I learned the mufflers I picked, under load, were excessively loud. All I could think of was that by Wyoming, my wife would want to kill me, and we would both be deaf. They were loud, but more on that later. While all that was going on, I had friend come into town that afternoon for a surprise birthday party I helped his wife put together.

Coming home from the trans shop I noticed the temp was looking a little high, but I had no idea what would be normal on this thing and it didn't get over 220, but it was making me nervous. That evening we drove it around prior to his birthday party and it started to overheat, alot. I had purchased ScanTool.net's OBDLink SX Scan Tool Software and thought that the ECM would tell the whole story. It did and was right around 200, so I thought okay, I'm just jumpy due my previous experience(see first post).

Well, that night on the way to the party we had the laptop hooked up and watched the temp on the ECM jump from 195 to 250 and back down again. It was jumping all over with no rhyme or reason. I was doing my best not to panic. On the way home from the party it was really dancing all over the place and gauge on the dash was really high.

I have to be honest, it really scared the hell out of me and it did it in less than 2 miles. The next morning I swapped radiators, because this was the radiator that was in it when I had all the problems with the 454, and no change. I had several gauge clusters collected for this project and we started swapping them over to see if it was the gauge. I was shocked at the difference. 5 clusters, 5 different readings. I was now paranoid that we would miss our deadline as I still had to get the trailer from my house and get it serviced and loaded. The last ditch thing we could think of was to swap the t-stat for a new one. Voila! It was indeed a bad t-stat. What a huge sigh of relief.

We then picked up the trailer and delivered it to the trailer mechanic to have the bearings, brakes and tires changed. That's when we discovered that this thing has plenty of power, but with the 12" long magnaflow mufflers it was so loud you couldn't hear the person sitting next to you talk with it under load. So, I took the truck back to the exhaust shop and got the mufflers replaced with Flowmaster 50 series. So much better.

My wife quit her job, we started to pack and I took the truck to get new rear tires. We got the truck and trailer back to my parents and started to put the interior back together. I got my headliner recovered and reinstalled.

My dad used to do custom upholstery and still has his setup in the basement.

New carpet installed, front seats were bolted down for the final time and I hooked up the stereo.

Got the ECM bracket fabbed up and mounted. Finished my wiring up under the hood. The interior was almost completely finished, and then the fun began.

A quick back story. You see, my family is small but close. My brother, who got me the job in North Carolina was driving out to Reno with his wife and kids towing a trailer to put my wife's HHR on to take back with us. We were going to caravan back in case we had a problem. My aunt and grandfather were to join us for Christmas as well, coming from my childhood home in Idaho. We had a great plan and it was going to be a great Christmas and probably our last together here in Reno. My grandfather was 88 years old and we lost my grandmother a year ago in January, so we didn't think he would make it on another road trip after this. It was looking good.

The day before my brother arrived from N.C., my grandfather slipped and broke his hip as they were getting ready to leave, so they weren't coming. However, he survived the surgery, which the doctors said he wouldn't, and my brother and I decided we would detour through Idaho to see him on our way back to NC, right after Christmas. It would still be a good Christmas.

Little did I know.

By now the trailer was loaded, the truck running great and only the back seat needing to be installed, we were 2 days ahead of schedule. We got up Christmas Eve morning had breakfast and were ready to work. Then for reasons I'm still unsure of, all hell broke loose. Suffice it to say, Christmas was not fun for anyone, my wife and I are still in Reno, my brother and I are not speaking and I'm working on my house again.

I was in a state of shock for most of the next couple of weeks, hence the lack of updates, and my folks went to visit my grandfather. I slowly began cleaning the garage and swap area and was driving the truck around. Luckily, my wife was able to get her job back, and things were getting back to normal.

Then came the call from my dad that we had better get to Idaho, ASAP. We made it just in time to say goodbye to an incredible man and influence in my life. It's still hard to believe he's gone, even though we knew it was coming.

So, needless to say, I hadn't spent much time on here until this last week. Other than when DirtyLarry contacted me about doing the same type of intake I made some updates, mainly because I had put the wrong part numbers up, but couldn't bring myself to spend any more time than that on here.

Now things are really getting back to normal, so I will get some more photos taken and upload my parts list. I have to say, with that trailer fully loaded with our stuff and the race car in it, the trailer is freakin' heavy.

But, the truck pulled it up all kinds of hills to get to our house, and OH MAN! Wow! The trailer is quite a bit heavier than it will be when we go to the races and it did it just fine. The truck's first real road test came in early March when we traveled to Bakersfield for the March Meet drag race, without the trailer. Due to the weather on the day we left, we had to put chains on and drive 30 mph. It took us 5 hours to travel 90 miles and we were pleasantly surprised at how well it did. Us, well not so much. The rest of the trip it averaged 12 mpg and since we hit 1000 miles on the swap while we were in Bakersfield, it consumed a quart of oil. I am very happy with it. Other than body work and a paint job, it's a new truck.

I'll get some more photos taken of the interior and under the hood. I will also try to get some video of it running and get that posted up this weekend.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Thanks for the update Blake. Glad to hear things are somewhat getting back to normal. Thanks again for the help with the air intake recipe.

Here is how it turned out…

Funny, I went through the same issues with temp gauges as well. My original ’78 cluster was the most accurate but when I swapped in a ’89 Suburban cluster the gauge makes it seem like it is running warm as well. The Tech 2 says it is running normal though.

I'm looking forward to your videos!

PS: I installed a new EP381 fuel pump last week in place of the EP241 then adjusted the fuel regulator to 65 PSI. WOW! What a noticeable difference in power. If you have an adjustable regulator, give that a try and see how it works for you. I can't remember which fuel pump you ended up using.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #42
HarleyHauler

Really enjoy this thread, any further updates?
HarleyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #43
Leedogg

let me get this straight- you got 12 mpg pulling that trailer?? how- impressive. My buddy had a 07 2500 hd with the 8.1 and it didn't get but 9 pulling his Trans Am in a enclosed like that.
07 Bandit 1250S - Two wheeled fun!

Click here to see my FQuick Garage!
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #44
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

Blake, sorry about your grandpa and your situation with NC and your brother! I saw you about a month ago pulling a small enclosed trailer heading toward Lovelock on 80...or at least I thought it was you!

Anywho, I think I'll be finally needing that bed sometime soon, the freebie bed I got is from an '83 so the fuel filler necks have a totally different mounting setup and this bed needs way too much work...I tried to text you a while back and obviously, I know why I didn't hear back from you! I'll text you again soon an see how things are!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
let me get this straight- you got 12 mpg pulling that trailer?? how- impressive. My buddy had a 07 2500 hd with the 8.1 and it didn't get but 9 pulling his Trans Am in a enclosed like that.
Read a little better...

Quote:
The truck's first real road test came in early March when we traveled to Bakersfield for the March Meet drag race, without the trailer. Due to the weather on the day we left, we had to put chains on and drive 30 mph. It took us 5 hours to travel 90 miles and we were pleasantly surprised at how well it did. Us, well not so much. The rest of the trip it averaged 12 mpg...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #45
Patriot

Question Re: '86 Crew Cab - The Race Car Hauler

Nice truck Blake. Larry is a wealth of info and a GREAT guy. Sorry about your Grandparents and string of bad luck. Have faith brother. It will work out in the end. Looking forward to updates from you and Larry. Stay safe fellas.

P.S. Blake I'm building a 1978 Z28 Drag car and would love and info you could give me. Just trying to build an 11 sec car for me and my son to mess around with. We will be racing it at Sturgis Dragway which is only an 1/8th mile track.
Thanks in advance.

Patriot
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Wow, great thread! Any updates on fuel consumption? I'm curious to see the numbers while pulling that trailer.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #47
manimal

This has to be one of the best Story/Build threads I have ever read!....very sorry to learn of your Grandfather and the troubles with your brother. Hope all is well now.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #48
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
This has to be one of the best Story/Build threads I have ever read!....very sorry to learn of your Grandfather and the troubles with your brother. Hope all is well now.
Ditto, what a great thread.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #49
Bluegrandbetsy

Quote:
I got the harness installed on the motor and trans. I had to extend my alternator harness due to the Workhorse brackets and my failure to tell the guy doing my harness. The Avalanche trans cooler lines fit and cleared the headers. Got my battery trays back from Al's Rod & Custom in Sparks. He's an old family friend and I took them over to him to have him blast off 25 years of leaky battery gunk and rust off of them. I got those primed and painted.

I did discover some trouble when I took the battery trays out to have them cleaned. The core support and inner fenders were pretty gummed up as well. With this truck heading back east I figured I better have clean, non-rusted parts to begin with. I have better inner fenders and core support off my parts Suburban, so I started cleaning them up and painting them.

Because of the temperature drop at night, I have had to turn the kitchen into a drying room. The family loves this.

I also found out that when you use a Hughes deep transmission pan, it makes using the Lokar 4l80e shifter linkage kit a tad more difficult. If you have any insights, the details are located here.

I also have had to read up on hydro boost systems and decided to replace all the lines that came on the truck. But with my factory pump, which is still connected to the truck, I barely understand the system.

With the new pump, other than swapping the fitting off of my original pump, and the corresponding line, I have no idea which ones go where. Does it matter where you put the hoses without the fittings on the new pump? Any help with that would be appreciated.

I was wondering if you would be able to give me all of the info on your build like engine trans and all the parts to go from a 454 to the 8.1L and what all i need to start getting and doing to get the build ready and what trucks to get parts from and anything else i would appreciate it a lot. you can email me everything to bluegrandbetsy@hotmail.com
Bluegrandbetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #50
Blake_H

I'm baaaack!!!! It has been a while since I have been able to get in here and update you guys. Things are looking up and I will get everyone's questions answered and a proper update soon.