The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
WI_Jeff

Air Conditioning Help

First of all, I hope I posted in the right area. Second, I got rid of my 1967 Chev School bus (converted to a camper). I didn't want to do it, but, my knees were too bad to use the clutch anymore. I upgraded to a 1987 Winnebago with the P30 Chevrolet chassis and the 454 engine.

Enough gabbing, here is my problem. I noticed that the air conditioning compressor was real "black" all around the clutch. Found a replacement compressor. When taking the old compressor off, there was some pressure in the lines. I replaced the compressor, cleaned the condenser in front of the radiator and put in new O-rings everyplace I took apart. Because this was the old R12 system, I also put the new R134a fittings on the compressor. Now here it sets. I have the oil and the R134a to fill it, but, do I need to do anything else before I add this to the system? As I said, everything is back in but the new compressor has not been plugged in as of yet. Any help would be great as I don't know much about air conditioning. Thanks again... Jeff

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 08-07-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Forgot item
WI_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Air Conditioning Help

Hook it all back up and take it to a shop and let them pull a vacuum on it and add the right amount of oil and 134-A freon.
At the very least I would replace the orfice tube and the acumalator before vacuuming it though. Both are pretty easy to do and don't cost that much and are the main problems in these system's.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Re: Air Conditioning Help

What Andy4639 said but add a AC system flush to the job. The old R12 oil doesn't always play well with the new oil for a 134 system. Since it is already open, now is the time for a flush. Plus you don't know what a PO has added. They might have tried some R-12 substitute and a corresponding weird oil. Consider getting a new dryer unit as well. Sometimes the warranty on a compressor will specify a new dryer as a condition for the warranty.

Have them inspect the lines to/from the compressor. If by chance they are still the original lines, they are probably end of life.

If the AC shop asks, there was NO pressure in the system when you pulled the old compressor. Venting R-12 to the air is a legal no-no. Does it happen? Sure. Just don't admit it.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Air Conditioning Help

If the AC shop pulls a good 30 minute vacuum min the oil and old freon will be pulled out of the system and what is not is burnt off by the vacuum. Never ever tell a shop you vented it out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
WI_Jeff

Re: Air Conditioning Help

Thanks a bunch. I'll check on the orfice tube and the acumalator. THEN I will get it to a shop and vacuum before I use the system.
WI_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote