The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Rick Bollinger

Re: Dual Electric Fans??? Should I switch to 7 Blade w Clutch?

My thought is set up right electric fans would be alright. But I would think that the fan mounted right on the radiator would only pull air where the fan is mounted. If it is a 10" dia fan there is only 10" of area being pulled through the radiator. If it was set back a couple of inches and set on a shroud of some sort then it would pull from the whole radiator. I had this same problem with my 68. P.O. Had it all messed up. Electric fan wired into the electric choke wire no shroud and didn't even run. I went with a LMC shroud and a 18" flex fan. It looks clean and moves lots of air. Whole set-up around $100.00
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Rick Bollinger

My thought is set up right electric fans would be alright. But I would think that the fan mounted right on the radiator would only pull air where the fan is mounted. If it is a 10" dia fan there is only 10" of area being pulled through the radiator. If it was set back a couple of inches and set on a shroud of some sort then it would pull from the whole radiator. I had this same problem with my 68. P.O. Had it all messed up. Electric fan wired into the electric choke wire no shroud and didn't even run. I went with a LMC shroud and a 18" flex fan. It looks clean and moves lots of air. Whole set-up around $100.00
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #28
Barnfind46

I had dual electric cooling fans with a fan controller and it worked great until I was in stop and go traffic on a July day in north Texas. The fan controller crapped out and left me sitting on the side of the road in 100 degrees waiting on the traffic to clear so I could get moving and get some air flowing again. Just my two cents.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #29
4carbcorvair

I HAD an electric fan on my Jeep CJ with TBI 350. I went thru a few different controllers, most don't like to get wet, as in driving in the rain. The last time it went out I was in traffic that was backed up about 4 or 5 miles. Had to pull over, coolant boiled out. Just to get me out of trouble, I wired the fan to direct power on the side of the road so we could get to where we were going. As soon as I got home, the stock mechanical fan went back on. Honestly, the mechanical cools better than the electric ever did.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #30
hotwls13

I'm still not into the running gear of this truck yet. I start it about once a week, run it for a few minutes, it fires right up. Factory temp gauge doesn't appear to be working, aftermarket one mounted to column "may" be working. When running the engine I am flipping the toggle for the fans to be sure they are running.

Lots to do on this thing and I have multiple disconnected wires hanging down from under dash. One thing at a time, this truck will be complete eventually. haha
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dual Electric Fans??? Should I switch to 7 Blade w Clutch?

If you have enough CFM in the fans then you should be fine.
If you wire them correctly they will work as good are better than the motor driven ones and depending on the brand will last as long. I go a extra step in mine and have a micro switch with a paddle switch added to the fan wire so that when I get up to speed the fan will cut off. No need for it running when at speed. This saves the fan motor.
2,000 CFM for a 6-cylinder
2,500 CFM for a 8-cylinder
A further note is that engines that are 5.0-liter (302 cubic inches) or larger should use an electric fan with 2,800 or more CFM. Obviously, an 800-horsepower engine will need more cooling than a 400-horsepower version regardless of the cylinder-count, but this basic guidance will get you started. And no amount of CFM will keep an engine cool if the radiator is under-sized or if too much of the grille-opening is obstructed.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #32
hjewell2

FLX-1818 - Flex-A-Lite 7-Blade Fans

had electric hated it , 3000 cfm or above is needed and a healthy alt. A good electric fan or fans will pull 18 to 25 amps. Wasted my money once and then got the above fan I listed, never looked back, ya it sucks LOL about 25 HP but so much more reliable.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote