The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
eagledancer

92 Chevrolet Silverado Won't Start

I have a 92 chevrolet Silverado that won't start. I started experiencing situations were my truck would not start after sitting for a short period of time. At first, I could crank the engine several times till it started. Then I had to spray starting fluid the other night in the carb to get it started. Got the truck home, shut it off and could not get it started again. Checked and found that I was not getting any spark or fuel. Pulled out the ignition module, took it to auto parts store, had it checked and results were good. Reinstalled ignition module, pulled the coil, took it in, had it checked and results were good. Reinstalled coil, just for grins, cranked the engine and it started. Left the engine running while I put away my tools and it died after about 4 or 5 minutes. Tried spraying fuel in the carb, still wouldn't start. Pulled the distributor, took it apart, replaced the pick-up coil, put the distributor back together, reinstalled it back in the truck. Cranked the engine and it started. Left the engine running while I put away my tools again and it died again after about 4 or 5 minutes. Dropped the fuel tank, pulled the fuel pump, set it up in a bucket of fuel, connected it to the battery and ran it for almost 10 minutes. I am going to put the fuel pump back into the tank. Also I want to note that at one time before this started I went to start the truck, I heard the solenoid engage, then everything went dead. Found the positive cable loose. I wiggled the bolt back & forth a couple of times, then tightened it down. Truck started right up. I have a code scanner, hooked it up when the truck wouldn't start and the only code I'm getting from the ECM is 12, which I am being told is normal. I am also being told that if I'm getting a code that the ECM is working properly. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks!
Don
eagledancer is offline   Reply With Quote