The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
iostorm

Looking for the bolts that mount front suspension/engine crossmember to frame

I can not seem to locate the correct bolts and nuts for remounting this front cross member, does anyone sell them as a kit?

Thanks,
iostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Looking for the bolts that mount front suspension/engine crossmember to frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostorm View Post
I can not seem to locate the correct bolts and nuts for remounting this front cross member, does anyone sell them as a kit?

Thanks,

I don't think there are any kits but any major hardware store should have grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers. I think they are 7/16 -14 x 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long. I will have to check for sure when I go out to the shop....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Dano4163

Re: Looking for the bolts that mount front suspension/engine crossmember to frame

I'm rebuilding a 1969 GMC. I've been buying all of my bolts at either Lowes or Home Depot, and a few at Ace.
Dano4163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
michael bustamante

USE THE GRADE 8!! very important! the grade 5`s will strip and shear off
Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
iostorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I don't think there are any kits but any major hardware store should have grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers. I think they are 7/16 -14 x 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long. I will have to check for sure when I go out to the shop....

LockDoc
Thank you, I appreciate the help.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
gable74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4163 View Post
I'm rebuilding a 1969 GMC. I've been buying all of my bolts at either Lowes or Home Depot, and a few at Ace.
You will pay more but Ace Hardware has everything. Other options are Fastenal, Grainger, or RobNet.
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
iostorm

Thanks everyone, do you have a size/thread and qty?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
hugger6933

John Deere has grade 8 bolts and hardware. I know this cause they are closer to me than the other stores. You know I'm in a small farming town so there are times when I need to stop at the John Deere place. I don't have any of those other places Except for ACE and I try to not use them. Not because of ACE just the people in it
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
DBK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
John Deere has grade 8 bolts and hardware. I know this cause they are closer to me than the other stores. You know I'm in a small farming town so there are times when I need to stop at the John Deere place. I don't have any of those other places Except for ACE and I try to not use them. Not because of ACE just the people in it
Yup, buy all my lag bolts from JD, usually more reasonably priced too.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
USE THE GRADE 8!! very important! the grade 5`s will strip and shear off
That's not true, i used grade 5 on mine and they worked fine. It's the grade 2 that strip out

use this chart to help you figure out what bolt you are using
Name:  boltimage_4.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  47.5 KB
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
That's not true, i used grade 5 on mine and they worked fine. It's the grade 2 that strip out

use this chart to help you figure out what bolt you are using
Attachment 1486895

I wouldn't use anything but Grade 8 for the front cross member. They are not much more $ wise and they hold your entire front chassis components together. Not worth taking a chance for me......

LockDoc

-
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostorm View Post
Thanks everyone, do you have a size/thread and qty?

They are 7/16-14 x 1 1/2" and there are 12 of them. I think 2 of them on each side screw into weld nuts in the cross member.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I agree on going to ACE. I was shopping for bolts and misc hardware, I went to Lowes ... so so selection, went to Home Depot, it was Ok. Someone told me to go to ACE, bam, holy cow do they have a lot of great stuff.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
waco

I just finished bolting the cross members into my 72 GMC 4x4 frame. You will find that the holes are slightly smaller than 7/16". I would suggest that you bolt them all in with 3/8" to line up all of the mounting holes first. Then remove 1 bolt at a time & drill it out to a 7/16" so that everything will like up if you ever need to remove it in the future.
Andy
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I get a lot of my bolts at TSC by the pound. Best way to stock up the bins. I wouldn't go softer than grade 8. With the poor quality we are forced to accept from overseas there's a good chance this hardware could fall short of standards. I'd hope a grade 8 would at least come in as harder than a proper grade 5. Grade 5 isn't worth risking. I use that for ungraded needs and grade 8 for anywhere strength really matters.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
racerface

Once you find out the right size, take a little drive over to Wellington Hardware. They have a great selection of Grade 8 and 10 bolts. I agree with Special-K, I wouldn't run anything less than a Grade 8.
Toys: 68 C-30 327-400turbo
68 C-30 Open Road Camper 327-400turbo
81 GMC Sierra 1500 250-350turbo Long Bed
83 K-10 4X4 Scottsdale
racerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
iostorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerface View Post
Once you find out the right size, take a little drive over to Wellington Hardware. They have a great selection of Grade 8 and 10 bolts. I agree with Special-K, I wouldn't run anything less than a Grade 8.
Thanks racer, I went to Rural King by Grafton and got the suggested 7/16" x 1-1/2" bolts and hardware, but now looking at the assembly, and the bottom 6 bolt holes that secure to the bottom of the frame to the crossmember are definitely larger then 7/16,". The sides which need 4 bolts each are indeed 7/16" but test fitting it it seems that the 1-1/2" length is too long as well. Its more than likely an 1-1/4" or 1" max, after all you are only sandwiching to thin pieces of frame and need enough to pass through the nut, any additional is too long.

I will pick up the larger diameter bolts for the bottom and shorter 7/16' bolts for the sides.

The good thing about RK is its by the pound, so it is very inexpensive for the hardware.