The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Jayman931

Drivers side window replacement help...

1969 C10 Drivers side window replacement.

I have searched high and low for a tutorial or directions and have found none. I have everything apart and don't know how to proceed with putting the new window in the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the glass (there is broken glass still in there.

My window got shot out with a BB gun so right now there is glass in the channel where the new glass needs to sit. Any ideas on how to get it out? Also do I need some kind of adhesive/seal to keep the new glass in there?

Hope that made sense.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
72gmguy

Re: Drivers side window replacement help...

I would just chisel it out with a small screwdriver. To reinstall new glass I think you just need a rubber window run channel to sandwich the glass and slide it back into the frame.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmguy View Post
I would just chisel it out with a small screwdriver. To reinstall new glass I think you just need a rubber window run channel to sandwich the glass and slide it back into the frame.
Okay...that's what I figured...just didn't wanna muck something up. Im assuming the autoparts store doesn't carry the metal holder for the window.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Eddie H.

The proper way to do it is remove the old glass without damaging the channel, then get some "glass setting tape" available from amazon, ebay, or most any automotive glass company. and install the new glass in the channel with that. I have also used urethane windshield sealer, just make sure it is completely cured before putting the window back in.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
tcoop68
tcoop68

LCM sells the glass complete with the metal tract already attached .
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
Cape Codder

If reusing the original track be sure to get every spec of the old glass out. If you decide to bed the glass with urethane cut a few 1 " pieces of the old rubber and set them at each end of the glass and maybe one in the middle. It will hold the track and glass straight while the goop cures.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoop68 View Post
LCM sells the glass complete with the metal tract already attached .
Wish I knew that before I bought the window from Summit. Definitely would have done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
The proper way to do it is remove the old glass without damaging the channel, then get some "glass setting tape" available from amazon, ebay, or most any automotive glass company. and install the new glass in the channel with that. I have also used urethane windshield sealer, just make sure it is completely cured before putting the window back in.
Thanks for the tip. Im gonna try to see if the local autoglass shop will just do a small favor for me. That or hunt down the Setting Tape locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
If reusing the original track be sure to get every spec of the old glass out. If you decide to bed the glass with urethane cut a few 1 " pieces of the old rubber and set them at each end of the glass and maybe one in the middle. It will hold the track and glass straight while the goop cures.
Thanks for the info! I am gonna try without Urethane but if it comes down to it I'll keep that in mind
Old 01-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #8

My glass shop does them for me, although the last time I went there, he said that they weren't going to make the right width/thickness setting tape anymore.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Jayman931

The window place I went to set the glass.....Now I have to reinstall everything. I had no idea its such a pain in the butt to get that vent window in.

Having trouble with it. Do I have to take the felt strips off that are on the door (think they are called window seals. The two small ones that go across the top part of the main door? Kinda by the door lock knob
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman931 View Post
The window place I went to set the glass.....Now I have to reinstall everything. I had no idea its such a pain in the butt to get that vent window in.

Having trouble with it. Do I have to take the felt strips off that are on the door (think they are called window seals. The two small ones that go across the top part of the main door? Kinda by the door lock knob
I usually replace all the window seals and the felt run channel whenever I replace a door glass. Just take your time and don't get too frustrated. It will all go back in. One guy told me that if you face north and twirl a dead chicken over your head while holding your mouth just right, it is a little easier, but I haven't tried his method yet.