The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
1952chevy

1951 "Budget" Build

So, what first started out as a mild "budget" build has now turned into a full on frame off money pit and I love it!

The passion for these trucks started when I was very young going to local car shows with my dad. I always liked the styling and look of them and knew one way or another I would have one. When I turned 16, I bought my first, a 1950 3-window. I would spend nights and weekends turning wrenches working on getting this thing running. It was a blast!

Flash-forward 13 years. I got the bug to build a 5-window hotrod, so I started perusing the Internet and classifieds to find the perfect beginning of my project. Low and behold, I found one. It was a stalled project with a boxed frame, Mustang II front, 4 Link Rear with Chevy 10 bolt, Air on all four corners, and discs front and back. The cab had some body work (although it would have to be redone) and all the fenders, hood, and running boards were in good condition. Now all I had to do was figure out my budget and plan my build accordingly. So, as it typically goes with these builds, the truck set for the last 3 years! But, just because it was sitting, it didn't keep me from buying parts for it (haha)! I was looking for 350 that I could bore and stroke to a 383, when a ran across another 1952 chassis that was boxed, Mustang II front, leaf rear with Ford 9inch, 11 rotors with discs front and back, mild 383 stroker, 700-R4 trans, and Junkyard Dog Rims and Nitto Tires (17 front/18 rear). Surprisingly it was all less than I could buy a used 350 and all the parts to rebuild to a stroker. Needless to say, I jumped all over it and had it shipped to my house!

It took my wife telling me to just put it in a local shop and get it done for me to get off my butt and start this project going! She knows me and the fact that I really good at starting projects, getting them to 90%, then abandoning the project for another (but, I'm sure this only an affliction that I suffer from and none of you have ever experienced the same). She was not going to let that happen on this project. Thank goodness for her stern guidance! I wouldn't be as far along on this project if she hadn't.

Well, enough of my long-windedness. I will be posting pictures and details on the build later today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1952chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: 1951 "Budget" Build

Any pics?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote