The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
johnwaynejeep

Road trip results

Last month I bought a new 75 C10. I replaced the water pump after noticing a leak and took it for a road trip to shake out the bugs. I went about 500 miles round trip in 110 degree weather. The temp stayed steady and the coolant only needed topped off once early in the trip.

The truck did great, but now my tranny is slipping. Fluid is a little overfilled when hot and a little frothy, again telling me it's overfilled. I'll suck some fluid out, recheck the level and then tune the vacuum canister and it should work out fine.

I bought a new seat during my road trip. I got a vinyl seat from a 78 K10 out of a junk yard. I scrubbed it with soap and water, rubbed in about 4 cups of amar-all, installed it and it looks brand new. Awesome find.

Good road trip
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Road trip results

If you haven't already changed the transmission filter, instead of sucking fluid, just change the filter and refill to proper level. Trans filters often get skipped during routine maintenance cycles.

As installed, the cooling system on these trucks is pretty robust. Your top off was probably air trapped in the heater core from the pump change.

If your results with armorall are anything like mine, that seat is now as slick as wet ice.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote