The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Hawker7

Brothers Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Has anyone used this, or know anyone that has?

I know the best advice is to either get a short bed frame, or do a step cut.

I'm thinking about shorting my long bed and I'm not interested in looking for a new frame, so this kit looked like an easy way to shorten the frame. I'm not concerned about resale, and really only drive the truck around town. I don't tow anything, only haul mulch a few times a year, and have a stock crate 350.

Just wanted to know what others thought about this.

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/63-72...fo/LTSC372/72/
Hawker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
88Stanger

Re: Brothers Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

i have not done this conversion, but i have converted mine. I used a different tech. to do mine that i found posted on here and that was shown on a TV show, Gears. I have no issue with mine and to be honest i would have no issue using this kit. You will find that some on here will not like the idea of shortening your bed this way as you hinted at, but hey, its yours and do what makes you happy. I say go for it. I have watched this kit being done and it really is alot easier than what i did. Good luck and keep us updated.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
WB72
Before and After

I was looking at this options swell, but I thought the price tag to be steep for the kit that is basically an information pattern. I will likely do it myself. The information is all here on the board. The only reason I would buy the kit is if you don't have access to a welder in your shop/garage.

There is also a video on YouTube, sorry I can't recall the link, that uses this kit and the cab mounts do not line up. If you are paying for the specific hole mounting positions, it would be good if they were accurate.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
Rickysnickers

Sam Memolo had a show on a while back and they used this kit to shorten a truck on that program. In fact, I believe it to be the same truck in the picture in the link you provided. As far as your question, I have not used the kit, just watched on the show.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

I think the kit is a great idea but a little expensive. I say go for it, it is simple and goof-proof, will give you lots of confidence in doing it yourself.

On the subject of shortening frames, hundreds get done everyday on semi trucks, motorhomes, cube vans etc. Most semi trucks are only bolted together, with that kit and some extra bolts it would be safe without any welding.

I have shortened a bunch of these trucks, just finished one, see my build thread...

Now you could make those reinforcements yourself like I used to do, take the 12" piece you cut from the center of the frame and section it down using the other piece as a jig. Then install, bolt and weld, etc. You essentially have the kit using the pieces you cut out.

Cutting the frame can be a bit of work, I have used a torch, sawsall, cut off wheels and recently a Milwaukee portaband, that was the easiest method, the fastest and most accurate. Well worth the cost of a used portaband to get it done with so little effort.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
67c10rustbuket

Looks like a well designed kit.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
paulkaminskijr

I recently used the kit from Brothers. It went very smooth. The template is really what you're paying for. I didn't measure at all until it was done and it was within 1/16". Bolted up pretty easily. I'm in the process of cutting the bed sides now. If you're at all interested in the process, I documented it all and it's on youtube. Just search "paulk_c10"
paulkaminskijr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
leddzepp

It looks like a great way to go for the do it yourselfer...but I agree that the price is too steep for what it is.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Ontcalimo

It seems with this kit is a no brainer. Well designed. Little pricey but the guy that designed it has to make some dough. For doing it right and peace of mind its worth every penny. Doing it the alternate ways could be a recipe for disaster for a lay person. Anyone agree?
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Hawker7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontcalimo View Post
It seems with this kit is a no brainer. Well designed. Little pricey but the guy that designed it has to make some dough. For doing it right and peace of mind its worth every penny. Doing it the alternate ways could be a recipe for disaster for a lay person. Anyone agree?
I tend to agree. While you can try it yourself and save some money, if you mess up the frame you are out a lot more money than the kit, and have a lot more work ahead of you.

I'm still trying to decide if cutting the frame down is worth it. I'm really doing it to get 2 more feet of space in my garage, and hopefully have a truck that is easier to maneuver in parking situations and just driving around town.
Hawker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
RedRider

Bump. Looking for anyone else who has tried the Brothers short bed conversion template. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one, but feedback is always great.
RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
bs46488

In my opinion you are doing about the same amount of work if you bolt it in or weld it.

There are some other tasks/costs not covered. You are still going to need to shorten your driveshaft, fuel line, some wiring, exhaust

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
Devil Pup

I used to work for Brothers for a number of years. I seen this kit when they first started talking about doin it and actually cruised by a couple weeks back and got to check out the short bed frame kit on the shelf and on a truck. I would say it is as good as it gets, seriously. They thought of it all when it comes to installation. I know the guy that designed it and I can say he knows his stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if i was goin short bed. Some might say im bias but thats not me. Especially on a safety situation like shortening a frame.

as BS46488 stated, there are still things to consider regardless. . still need to shorten you lines and drive shaft and stuff. but as far as frame, it is done.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
Big Block
Big Block

Looks like a well designed kit and worth the price to make sure it's done right. I would buy it if I was going to do the conversion myself.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker7 View Post
I'm thinking about shorting my long bed
What is the reason behind this? I could never understand why people do it.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
RedRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
In my opinion you are doing about the same amount of work if you bolt it in or weld it.
There are some other tasks/costs not covered. You are still going to need to shorten your driveshaft, fuel line, some wiring, exhaust
I don't have the balls to do the blind frame cut like you did (which turned out awesome by the way). I think the template kit will work well given my mediocre mechanical skills and two-car garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Pup View Post
I would say it is as good as it gets, seriously. They thought of it all when it comes to installation.
Thanks! It's good to get some feedback from an "insider"

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Don't try to understand it
RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Rob has a bolt in rail kit where you get the rear frame with a four inch drop for
$1200

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #18
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Because some people like the short beds and there aren't enough to go around at a reasonable price.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
72tutone

I just purchased this to perform the swap. My concern is the vertical cut. Everyone says this is a big no no. But, I would assume the added support c channel that is bolted in would somehow alleviate this issue.

Thoughts?
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #20
bs46488

I'm no expert, but I believe the vertical cut is a no-no when welding.

This kit is secured with bolts and reinforcement c-channel so its not a concern.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
72tutone

Thanks. That was my thinking as well. I'm no expert either but from what I've read on a vertical cut being welded is it could possibly introduce a crack as the load isnt spread horizontally across the frame. Hence, the z-cut. But what I'm also thinking is that with the inner c-channel bolted to the frame that whatever flex occurs it would bear the brunt of it and not have such an impact on the weld.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Stephenshane237

Just finished this kit tonight took about 2 hours. I have just a bare frame sitting so made it much easier. I think the kit with the c channel bolted, and then weld everything up should be plenty strong enough.
Stephenshane237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
72tutone

I concur. My Cab is on and it's fighting me sliding it inward. It's also lowered so managing a jack stand underneath has been challenging.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #24
Duck 37

Smile Re: Brothers Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Getting ready to use this kit in the next few days. I have a friend who works on big truck frames, which can't be welded. They use backing plates and bolts to shorten frames and pass DOT. I'm expecting backing plate, bolts and a weld to do a good job.
Duck 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
Stephenshane237

It was very painless to do again don't know if I would want to do it cab on or not but pretty easy.
Stephenshane237 is offline   Reply With Quote