The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
May70

Bedside compatibility through the years???

My previous understanding was 67-72 longbox fleetside bedsides are 'compatible' or 'the same' per say, however I know some have a metal floor and others have wood... I thought that wood and metal floors were just options and they were all 'interchangeable' to fit into the same beds.

I have a 1970 c20 with no trim, long box wood bed. My bed has the marker light and reflector at the back on both sides. My bed has rust through all over it and I know I need a donor or new one.

Today someone told me that the 70 long bed is different and that all years wouldn't fit. (what???) I was looking at bedsides someone is selling off a 1970, $600 for the pair. Will all/some/this set fit? Im not even sure what the going rate is for used bedsides but I was told re-manufactured is like 650 each shipped. The ones for sale were sandblasted and have surface rust, a couple rust through places around fender and a some dents (judging by pics). Are those bedsides something a new guy should take on or try to find better quality? I believe I will need every thing else including floor wood brackets/supports under it...

Info appreciated.
Attached Images

May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Bedside compatibility through the years???

It's amazing how someone who has no idea what they are talking about can speak with the authority of someone who does know. I have to wonder how these people learn anything right if they already know the wrong answer as "it". There are no differences between 67-72 bedsides except for the side marker holes being stamped in. That is it, all, total, no more, just like that!

When it comes to the wood floor option, the difference in floor thickness is made up in the height of the wood floor cross supports. They are not as tall. No differences required in the bedsides or wheelhouses. The metal floor is 'brought up' to the flanges on the bedsides by taller cross supports.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

The front panel is th only piece that is different between wood and metal floor.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
May70

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah.... the guy was insisting that they all weren't the same when I told him I was pretty sure 67-72 are the same. One of those who gets offended when you contradict them. Instead of argue with the guy I just came here and had the best confirm.

Looking at the bedsides for sale on Saturday. After looking back at the pics though 600 sounds like too much for the condition. Read a lot about reproductions, they dont seem to be bad. Ill probably end up thinking on it a while. Id rather get a whole used bed together and in decent shape.

Not sure where most people go to find them. Ive just been watching FB market and CL. I want to see it in person so ebay is not something id be comfortable with I dont think.

Thanks Special-K & Ol Blue K20
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's amazing how someone who has no idea what they are talking about can speak with the authority of someone who does know. I have to wonder how these people learn anything right if they already know the wrong answer as "it". There are no differences between 67-72 bedsides except for the side marker holes being stamped in. That is it, all, total, no more, just like that!

When it comes to the wood floor option, the difference in floor thickness is made up in the height of the wood floor cross supports. They are not as tall. No differences required in the bedsides or wheelhouses. The metal floor is 'brought up' to the flanges on the bedsides by taller cross supports.
The front of the wheelwell opening on the ‘67 LWB comes to a point like SWB ones do, while the rest of the LWB’s are rounded - but other than that, they are same.
As Tim says, there are no fitment issues with any of them.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Carlisle next week.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
wpavlis

It amazes me the amount of wrong information out there that people swear is correct. I had a guy at a parts counter tell me that no 67-72 C10 ever shipped from the factory with a 307. He said he had restored 6 of these trucks and was certain that the 327 was the base v8 engine for all years 67-72. I just shut my mouth because i didn't want to get into a pointless argument.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote