The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
traut811

Question For those of you with taillight fuel filler/ lens fitment question

Hey guys. I'm trying to do a hidden fuel filler behind the taillight on my 67 and it's driving me nuts. I cannot clear the lens for some reason. As the taillight swings, the bottom edges catch the bedside taillight opening. I've clearance and reshaped the bedside taillight opening as much as I can. What am I missing here? Also, does it look like my passenger side lens sticks out too far? I do not have trim. If I was somehow able to suck it in further it may help on the taillight filler.

This is in a new bed (woodall bedsides), new United Pacific LED taillights. I bought the kit from New Creations. I ended up cutting the bracket a half inch shorter and moving the hinge up respectively, still no luck.

Any help or feedback would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Nick
Attached Images

traut811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
shoveldug

Re: For those of you with taillight fuel filler/ lens fitment question

When I did mine in order to get enough clearance I removed the lip or ridge from both taillight lenses. i was able to grind it close and then file sand and polish. Protected the lens with masking tape. It took some time but came out nice. Sorry no pictures of it right now.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoveldug View Post
When I did mine in order to get enough clearance I removed the lip or ridge from both taillight lenses. i was able to grind it close and then file sand and polish. Protected the lens with masking tape. It took some time but came out nice. Sorry no pictures of it right now.
This crossed my mind as well. Good idea, and it'd keep it from looking like it sticks out so far. My one lens is a little scratched up now anyway so I may just have to do that. You just finished with a high grit sandpaper then what did you finish with? Did you have to seal it with anything?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
traut811

Just to make sure we're on the same page, this raised lip is what you removed and made flush with the lens panel on all 4 (2 tails and 2 reverse lights)?
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
shoveldug

Quote:
Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
Just to make sure we're on the same page, this raised lip is what you removed and made flush with the lens panel on all 4 (2 tails and 2 reverse lights)?
Correct. All 4. I started with a air grinder then a file then worked by way to a finish ending with 2000 grit paper. Worked well and was worth the effort.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoveldug View Post
Correct. All 4. I started with a air grinder then a file then worked by way to a finish ending with 2000 grit paper. Worked well and was worth the effort.

Cool, sounds good thank you. I'll start on them tonight. Definitely just wasn't going to work the way it was.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
tinkerdad

This is what I did.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=439895&page=2
tinkerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerdad View Post
That looks good, nice work!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
tinkerdad

Tight on the fingers but it works. Almost done with the truck
Attached Images

tinkerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
traut811

I got the outside lip removed. I won't sand/Polish until I'm finished with everything else as they'll get scuffed before then anyway. With the first picture, my door will work if I can get the lenses this flush. The only way I can see doing this easily on the other 3 lenses is knocking down the tab on the back side of the lens. If I took the whole tab on each side I'd be dead on flush. Any reason this needs to be there? I may have to do something different than a foam seal so the lens mount screws still seat correctly I suppose.

Second picture is the passenger side with outside lip removed
Third picture is the tab on the back I want to get rid of.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
traut811

Just revisiting this after I was out of town for a few days. I was sent the cheap o foam lens gaskets so I'll probably just shave down the lens tabs on the back unless anyone thinks I shouldn't. I finally got the metal reshaped enough around the server taillight opening where it doesn't make contact so will need to do the same with the other 3. The corners are what killed me the most, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
a.c.ward

from all my research when doing my taillight fillers, the little tabs on the backside is to keep from over tightening the lens screws. shave the tabs, use different screws with Loctite, foam gasket, good to go
Attached Images

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.ward View Post
from all my research when doing my taillight fillers, the little tabs on the backside is to keep from over tightening the lens screws. shave the tabs, use different screws with Loctite, foam gasket, good to go
Sounds good, thanks for the reply, and thank you for your military service!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
KY_GMC

Where is the pivot point in relation to the bottom of the tail light lens?

The higher that you can make it, the lens will rotate up and back and will clear the opening in the bed.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
traut811

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_GMC View Post
Where is the pivot point in relation to the bottom of the tail light lens?

The higher that you can make it, the lens will rotate up and back and will clear the opening in the bed.
It is pretty low. I went back to the original length as I was within a sixteenth difference but was getting close to the trunion mount holes with the bottom then.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
traut811

One more question for you guys who have done this.

I am getting close.. My lens fits the opening, everything functions and clears as it should, magnets are mounted and where I want them. I still need to weld panels on the sides of the bracket to box it in, then weld it to the bedside.

My issue is, how did you guys get a hose clamp around the fill neck end of your setup? Once welded in place, it is going to be really hard to get up to it to tighten since you are restricted in the stake pocket. Did you guys use a regular "worm" type, or a spring type hose clamp?
http://howeracing.com/media/catalog/.../s/ss12050.jpg

https://www.aquatuning.us/media/imag...38/68083_1.jpg

It may be tough to get the other clamps in place as well, but this one looked like the most difficult.

I have pictures and part numbers used throughout this process, so will try to somewhat do a "how to" on this once my tail light fuel filler is complete.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #17
cliff67

I kept it real simple and used a cabinet hinge
Attached Images

cliff67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:38 AM   #18
lkt1954

Just finished doing this on my 70 C10 this weekend. The filler kit was also from New Creations and the instructions left a little to be desired to say the least. With everything cut out, it took us around 4-5 hours to get the kit to fit good and weld in place.
Had the same issue with the taillight lens, luckily I had some old lenses and we removed both tab and sanded the outer edges at the top and bottom to flush with the lens. That made the lens sit flush with the bed. In order to use a foam gasket we trimmed all the lip off the back.
How did you run the wires for the lights? I'm a little concerned about them flatting out too much when you tighten the lens down.
Also what are you using for a filler hose?
lkt1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:49 AM   #19
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954 View Post
Just finished doing this on my 70 C10 this weekend. The filler kit was also from New Creations and the instructions left a little to be desired to say the least. With everything cut out, it took us around 4-5 hours to get the kit to fit good and weld in place.
Had the same issue with the taillight lens, luckily I had some old lenses and we removed both tab and sanded the outer edges at the top and bottom to flush with the lens. That made the lens sit flush with the bed. In order to use a foam gasket we trimmed all the lip off the back.
How did you run the wires for the lights? I'm a little concerned about them flatting out too much when you tighten the lens down.
Also what are you using for a filler hose?
I am assuming the New Creations is the same one i have as they look identical. I notched the metal part where the light mounted on the bottom of the light. You cannot see the wires and it is the least amount of flex. For filler hose, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the 2", but it was too big to make the 90 degree bend, so I went with 1.5". I also ran a 5/8" line up to the filler and installed it right near the top of the filler so the gas pump would not shut off from the pressure. I had to tap the filler neck on the side and install the 90 degree fitting through the tail light opening. No problems filling it.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote