The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #26
Classics Fan

Re: ‘72 Door Panels In ‘71 Jimmy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Jimmys have the screw as well. I have a 70..same color, hugger orange. Your spid font looks different. Ive attached a picture of mine...codes on mine start with a different numeric??
I’ve always wondered why the font for Hugger Orange on my SPID was different than the rest of the plate. Maybe it is a repro. That said, looking initially at others in the SPID thread on this forum I see what looks like at least a couple of different fonts. I also see SPIDs with alpha numerics that begin with 1’s like mine, and 4’s like yours. There doesn’t seem to be a distinction between Chevy and GMC. Interesting...
Classics Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classics Fan View Post
I’ve always wondered why the font for Hugger Orange on my SPID was different than the rest of the plate. Maybe it is a repro. That said, looking initially at others in the SPID thread on this forum I see what looks like at least a couple of different fonts. I also see SPIDs with alpha numerics that begin with 1’s like mine, and 4’s like yours. There doesn’t seem to be a distinction between Chevy and GMC. Interesting...
After 47 years...there is a plethora of possibilities with no reliable way to confirm or refute them....trying to do so is an exercise in futility.....

Back when these were made, accurate documentation probably wasn't really high on the priority list....

You have a great looking rig that is registered and insured....and you are happy with it.....that's the most important attribute of all....!
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
After 47 years...there is a plethora of possibilities with no reliable way to confirm or refute them....trying to do so is an exercise in futility.....

Back when these were made, accurate documentation probably wasn't really high on the priority list....

You have a great looking rig that is registered and insured....and you are happy with it.....that's the most important attribute of all....!
I totally agree with the satisfaction aspect. And thanks for your compliment! Now my curiosity is piqued and I’ll be keeping watch for other clues. It’s always fun playing detective and trying to uncover the secrets these old cars and trucks hold.

I haven’t researched, but I seem to recall hearing years back that the lack of available GM production records stems from a fire that destroyed archived records that weren’t backed up. Anyone know if this is right?
Classics Fan is offline   Reply With Quote