The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
QBRacing

58 fleet + C4 Rear : Park Brake Question

I know there are a heap of people on the forum who have run the C4 front and rear conversions.

I am just trying to figure out how I am going to make it work with a 79 style park brake (like orrie g did)

I was lucky enough to see under a c4 yesterday and thought ... that aint going to work as the C4 runs a front cable to the right rear then back across to the left rear and I dont like that.

I was thinking of a set up more like the rear cables run forwards to a joiner and one cable runs forwards to the park brake.

I have scoured the threads on here but there isnt much on the parking setups ....

any help appreciated.
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
hogfarm

Re: 58 fleet + C4 Rear : Park Brake Question

This is my 58 Fleetside.Since I own a Harley repair shop.I used Harley clutch cables,works great
Attached Images

hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
mr48chev

You can run it any way you want to if you can figure out how to route the cables.

Running both cables up to meet like Hogfarm showed can be done on most setups but you will probably have to have special cables made up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
crossfire84

You don't need special cables made, I bought a lokar universal cable kit for my 50. Cut to length, I had 3feet left over. A very nice kit.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

That would still rate as a set of "special" cables and not be re-routed cables off the donor rig.

Poking around in Street rodder I found this link www.controlcables.com They show some interesting pieces.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
crossfire84

The lokar universal cable kit will allow you to run to a single attachment point. That's what I did in my 50. Should be pics in my build thread. And no mr48 lokar calls there cable kits universal not special, also qbracing does not say anything about a donor rig.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
mr48chev

Ok I should have said aftermarket rather than oem. We have given him a couple of viable options to pick from that he can pick and choose and decide.

You have to remember that some guys like Hogfarm can look at something totally unrelated hanging in a roll on the wall and figure out how to do a pro job with it, some like yourself are pretty handy at fabbing something up from a universal kit and some need a totally designed bolt on kit with everything designed for them and we don't know where QB racing fits in plus he is in NZ and you have to factor shipping costs and time in.

There are probably control cable outfits in NZ that can make up a cable to his measurements for well less than purchasing something from the states and then having it shipped.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
QBRacing

thanks for the replies guys.
I was just wondering people had done in the past with the C4 rear conversions. I personally just dont like the way the factory C4 setup functions.

I am pretty good with engineering and designing I just cant weld for SHI...

Personally I ike to use as many factory parts as I can and fabricate the few as it makes finding or repacing stuff later easier.

At this stage I have I ordered some 88 C4 rear cables. Once I get them in 6-8 weeks with all my wiring and other brake hoses etc then I can start to play. My plan is to run them straight forwards towards the middle of the chassis then to use a joiner to run a custom cable to the handbrake mechanism (probably from a 79 truck) as ive heard they bolt straight up to the LHS hood binge bolts.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
mr48chev

The drawings in the control cable link might turn the light bulb on http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-1/

Sounds like you have formulated a plan though.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
Clarance J

Hello QBRacing. I just recently finished my parking brake cable hook-ups. My truck is a 55.2. I used the stock handle in cab with rod to bell crank with cable running along drivers side to pulley and then to the center. I'm thinking the middle part is what you are interested in. My truck was missing almost all of that center part where cables from the front and cables from rear come together. From pictures I found on the net that showed the final install they do not tell you how to get there. I fabbed up all the adjustable ends and cable connectors and even the short cables that reach to the back. If this what you need I'll be glad to show you more details on how I made the cables and such. This would connect your C4 cables from rear. Just ideas. Good luck.

Earl aka Clarance J
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
QBRacing

Orrie
I was leaning towards something like"b or c" but more centred. I know the cables I have ordered are the same length (27" or 28"). Once I get them and start playing it could end up going the "a" route as that is similar to what the nova runs. time will tell.

ClaranceJ.
At this stage I know I have the bracket coming off the middle of the cab/centre x-member but I dont know if I have any of the other stuff. So much was disassembled when I got it and I have boxes of misc bits that I search through to check....
I will keep it in mind once I get the rear cables

Q

Last edited by QBRacing; 07-10-2018 at 04:22 PM.