The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
cstanley

3D Printed Console Cup Holder Insert

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the board, I kind-of dropped off the map for a while. Sometimes necessary.

But, I thought I’d share a small victory and tell a story.

Essentially, though my console was (and is) beautifully restored by a board member here, I managed to break some parts off the cup holder insert. And the cost of a repop was a surprise, to say the least.

Only slightly bummed, though because I’ve been wanting to experiment with customized designs, especially for improvements I could make to the layout. But before I can can get into design improvements, I wanted to make sure my 3D printer at home would reliably handle the original configuration.

So that’s all this is. I thought I’d share my success with this small project.
Mind you, this is only the first version as proof that my equipment would successfully recreate the design. I hope to make actual design improvements next.

1. I started by taking a few quick measurements, and whipping out the design in Autodesk Fusion 360. This was about a five minute exercise all-in.

2. I dropped the design file into my home 3D printer, a Prusa I3 Mk3. A good inexpensive consumer-level printer.

3. Went to bed.

4. Woke up and my part was done. Cool.

I used a glossy black plastic, and even though the resolution wasn’t at its finest, I’m pretty happy with it as a conceptual test print.

Anyway, here’s some pics and a link to my original design file on Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988571

As a post to the experience, I have plans, now that it works. I plan to make some design improvements, particularly with the center cubby and adding some mounting bosses for maybe integrated lights, mounting switches or USB ports for my radio, or something. I haven’t decided yet. I might make a modular mounting system so that I can have several things, and swap them in/out as desired.

Once refined, I’ll probably send to a service like Shapeways to be printed in better plastic on a nicer printer.

Anyway, on with the pics...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote