The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: What is the cheapest way to install six lug disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I have looked at the possibility of changing at least my fronts over to six lug disc but it worries me finding replacement parts for the kits will be a PITA. It is my daily driver so if I need a set of brake pads or a caliper I want to be able to hit my local parts store rather then mail order.
No worries at all, aside from the rotors, everything on my 1967 truck is from a 1971 GMC, so spindles, dust shield, calipers, hoses, pads, ball joints, etc are all off the shelf GM parts.

My rotors are ECE 6 lugs that have been on the truck since 2002, AND I bought them used from another member. I've put over 30K on them. No grooves, no noise, no warpage, never been turned. They're a very high quality rotor. I doubt I'll ever need to replace them.

That's how I did mine on the cheap. COMPLETE 1971 GMC disc brake set up (crossmember and all), I even took the booster and all the brake lines. Paid $100. I then replaced all the rubber parts (that was $, but needed to be done anyway), cleaned up and rebuilt what I could, new pads and rubber lines, ECE rotors and I had disc brakes. If you include the cost of rebuilding your front suspension (ball joints, etc) some of these kits aren't that $.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
mmiddle

No production vehicles will interchange with the six lug. Unless you convert to 5 lug, then maybe something from a Caddy or other large GM car. You will have to do your homework and likely figure it out on your own. If you do figure something out let us all know.

Maybe you could research using 73-87 K5/K10 front brakes on our older trucks. I know the rotors will fit, but the caliper mounting might be a problem or might not.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Maybe you could research using 73-87 K5/K10 front brakes on our older trucks. I know the rotors will fit, but the caliper mounting might be a problem or might not.[/QUOTE]

I dont think the K series would be an option ..... the only OEM style 6-lug rotor that I know of is the 88 and up light duty 3/4 ton 2wd trucks..... which as far as I know would rquire the corresponding spindle and caliper. Replacement parts would be reasonable and relatively easy to obtain.

Mcgaughy's does build a stock height disc spindle to fit 63-70 chevy 1/2 ton's ...... $241.50 + shpg. This uses the stock ball joints and tie-rod ends for your truck

A 6-lug rotor would run $135.00 each + shpg.

or a 6-lug rotor kit Fits:
60-70 GM C10 Trucks with McGaughys Disc Brake Spindle (1/2 Ton, 2wd)
or
71-72 GM C10 Trucks with Factory Disc Brake Spindle (1/2 Ton, 2wd) . This one would require minimum of ball joint and tie-rod end change

Includes:

•12" 6-Lug (6x5.5) Rotors
•GM Calipers
•Bearings
•Seals
•Hoses
•Banjo Bolts
•Dust Caps
•Spindle Nut/Washer
•Cotter Pins
•6x5.5 Bolt Pattern

This kit runs $339.00 for the 6-lug setup + shpg does not include spindles
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
mmiddle

Right, but what I mean is that the K5/10 rotor will/should fit the 70-down hub without modifying the hub, it is a 6 lug rotor. Would have to change to a longer "K" stud. But we still have a caliper mounting problem. maybe? I don't know how the caliper is hung on the spindle. If some one knowledgeable with the "K" front brakes could chime in?????
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
mmiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrktracer View Post

or
71-72 GM C10 Trucks with Factory Disc Brake Spindle (1/2 Ton, 2wd) . This one would require minimum of ball joint and tie-rod end change

Includes:

•GM Calipers
•Bearings
•Seals
•Hoses
•Banjo Bolts
•Dust Caps
•Spindle Nut/Washer
•Cotter Pins
•6x5.5 Bolt Pattern

That is a good price when you get down to it.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
Right, but what I mean is that the K5/10 rotor will/should fit the 70-down hub without modifying the hub, it is a 6 lug rotor. Would have to change to a longer "K" stud. But we still have a caliper mounting problem. maybe? I don't know how the caliper is hung on the spindle. If some one knowledgeable with the "K" front brakes could chime in?????
I understand what you mean now ...... Using the drum hub. 88 up 4x4 has a cheap 6-lug hat style rotor also...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #32
hugger6933

I plan on using the 88-98 C2500LD spindle and rotor caliper stuff on one of my70 swb trucks that I am building. I have everything already in my shop yard although not new I will change what its needed when I get to it. I also have the 3/4 LCA's of of a 68 GMC 3/4 ton that I am changing to a 1/2 ton short 5 lug and already have the frame rollling for that. So it is just a matter of time and labor for me now, will keep you posted. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #33
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

This will also fit the 73 and newer Heavy Duty Spindle (1.25 Rotor) also ...

or

Includes:

•GM Calipers
•Bearings
•Seals
•Hoses
•Banjo Bolts
•Dust Caps
•Spindle Nut/Washer
•Cotter Pins
•6x5.5 Bolt Pattern

Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I ordered this kit last week. If anyone is interested, I'll write up a review/installation thread on it. In all honesty, I was (and still am) pretty skeptical about the quality and completeness......but decided to give it a shot to try to save a little money.

The seller also offers the same kit with stock height spindles and offers kits for fronts and rears seperately at similar savings compared to other online vendors. (however, the complete kit is definitely the best deal if everything arrives and works as-advertised.)

According to FedEx, it is supposed to arrive on Monday and then I guess I'll see how it goes from there.
I am interested to see how it turns out. Might not be a bad idea to post a new thread about them soon as you get them or install them.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
hugger6933

On the K 10 that keeps getting mentioned as a possibility it is not as the rotor for that hangs on a pressed type roller bearing bolted to a tripod type spindle that is flat with a huge hole in the center for the axle to pass through. It looks just like a larger version of a front wheel drive car rotor or similar to the rear of a later truck with the wheel disc. What I would like the guys from Oklahoma to show up with is along with the brackets to mount the rear disc brakes from a 99 to 05 chevy/GMC truck is a front one as well so that the dual piston front caliper could be used,and maybe a rack bracket to bolt on the 99 and newer rack to the 67-72 trucks. I got two tons of that stuff laying around my shop from all the late model trucks I've junked that I have not used yet and that would be perfect place to use some of it. Jim
Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #36
hugger6933

Ksbrktracer, I'll try one of those sets of brackets I just told you about if you'll send them to me. Jim
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #37
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I am interested to see how it turns out. Might not be a bad idea to post a new thread about them soon as you get them or install them.
I just started a build thread last night so anyone can follow the progress.

All of the parts arrived last night, were packaged well, and appear to be all there. The spindles were in a McGaughy's box and do have their name cast in 'em, the rest of the parts are in plain boxes with no readily discernable manufacturer markings. The only downside so far is that there isn't a packing/parts list or any instructions with any of it. (at least not that I've found.) My mental checklist says it looks very complete and should be very straight-forward but I'll have to wait until I start putting the puzzle together to know for sure.

The installation is going to take me awhile because I have ALLOT of clean-up and prep work to do as it all comes apart but I will try to keep the build thread updated and reference any snags as I go.

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote