The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Question for the welding pros

I went to my parents house this weekend for their neighbors funeral. My dad asked if I would use his old stick welder if he gave it to me and of course I said yes.
I already have a new Hobart 190 for mig but thought this would add to my capability.
it's an old miller thunderbolt 225.
My question is this...
1. What maintenance do I need to do to it before I use it? It has set for several years (7-10). I thought I could use it on heavy frame welding.
2. Is it even safe to try and use it? I know it works (or should) he just hasn't needed it.
I'm new to welding but always looking to learn.
3. About what year is this model and can I find the user manual? I'll google for the manual!
I appreciate anyone thoughts or criticism on it's use.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Question for the welding pros

they can b used with good results for heavier frame work// the main thing with stick welders is to use freash sticks as they can and do go bad due to humidity and storage
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
they can b used with good results for heavier frame work// the main thing with stick welders is to use freash sticks as they can and do go bad due to humidity and storage
I'm grabbing some rods this week and will be testing it out welding the frame on a truck bed trailer. I don't think I can mess that up too easy.
Should I just open it up and do a general cleaning inside the unit?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
_Ogre

imo... there is nothing on a any truck that will be over 10 gauge steel,
your hobart 190 mig will handle anything on any vehicle without a problem

i learned to stick weld with dc arc welders, ac arc welders are a lot harder to weld consistent with
your hobart 190 probably has a 30 amp 220v plug, this miller will need a 50 amp plug hooked up with #8 wire
again imo... don't bother. sell it or give it back to dad

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
imo... there is nothing on a any truck that will be over 10 gauge steel,
your hobart 190 mig will handle anything on any vehicle without a problem

i learned to stick weld with dc arc welders, ac arc welders are a lot harder to weld consistent with
your hobart 190 probably has a 30 amp 220v plug, this miller will need a 50 amp plug hooked up with #8 wire
again imo... don't bother. sell it or give it back to dad
WOW!!! I had no idea I was plugging in the space shuttle! LOL Ill save it for the garage and use the MIG. I really appreciate the input and assistance.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
_Ogre

hardly a space shuttle

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Guys use stuff like that to repair steel trailers and farm equipment and such. The only downside is that with how cheap buzzbox's have become, there isn't a reason for a small-time user to buy a machine of that size/capability.

...and anyone needing that large of a machine probably already has something more modern for production. That being said, we backhalfed my old S10 with a stick and it was pretty good (and VERRRRRY strong). Pics from like 2006

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Thanks br3w city and guys!
Well since I live in the middle of nowhere... and all my neighbors are farmers except the 5 houses around mine... I guess I can help them out after I borrow and break their tractors! LOL.
Seriously though, thanks for the input. It's very old but I wasn't turning my dad down cause he loves that I build, play and tear apart the trucks he built for over 32 years.
I'll keep this thing for the building/garage next year.
No one has yet to tell me if I should clean it up before I try to use it. I guess I'll leave it packed away until it's closer to time to use it.
Like you said the 190 should be able to do anything I need!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
ERASER5

Think of it as garage art from your Dad. I have a number of unused tools from my father-in-law
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
cableguy0

That welder has its place but automotive isn't it. Its awesome for welding heavy thick steel but your 190amp mig will more than handle anything automotive based. Those old welders were built to last and you cant buy something now that will last as long as long as that one. There really isn't a whole to do to clean anything up. The most I would even consider is to just blow the dust out with shop air.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Think of it as garage art from your Dad. I have a number of unused tools from my father-in-law
Well I guess it's going to be a conversation piece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
That welder has its place but automotive isn't it. Its awesome for welding heavy thick steel but your 190amp mig will more than handle anything automotive based. Those old welders were built to last and you cant buy something now that will last as long as long as that one. There really isn't a whole to do to clean anything up. The most I would even consider is to just blow the dust out with shop air.
Appreciate your thoughts. I think I'll keep it for some heavy frame welding. You know... "just in case" lol
Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
_Ogre

though it may be older than you...
that welder is ''relatively'' new and has aluminum windings in it
it also has a 20% duty cycle and really won't work for heavy welding
unless your heavy welding is 6''

unless you have lots of room, scrap or sell it
you'd get more for scrap than you could on craigslist or ebay

Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=
it also has a 20% duty cycle
[/QUOTE]
Yes... At 200 Amps. ... Look, that is a great little stick welder. Sure, its not for sheet metal, but you can use it for alot of things. I would keep it and use it.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
though it may be older than you...
that welder is ''relatively'' new and has aluminum windings in it
it also has a 20% duty cycle and really won't work for heavy welding
unless your heavy welding is 6''

unless you have lots of room, scrap or sell it
you'd get more for scrap than you could on craigslist or ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Yes... At 200 Amps. ... Look, that is a great little stick welder. Sure, its not for sheet metal, but you can use it for alot of things. I would keep it and use it.
Thanks guys. I think Ill keep it (even though I don't have the room)! If I leave it in the way the wife may get tired of walking around it and let me get the garage built! Ill have plenty of room in there. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Thanks br3w city and guys!
Well since I live in the middle of nowhere... and all my neighbors are farmers except the 5 houses around mine... I guess I can help them out after I borrow and break their tractors! LOL.
Seriously though, thanks for the input. It's very old but I wasn't turning my dad down cause he loves that I build, play and tear apart the trucks he built for over 32 years.
I'll keep this thing for the building/garage next year.
No one has yet to tell me if I should clean it up before I try to use it. I guess I'll leave it packed away until it's closer to time to use it.
Like you said the 190 should be able to do anything I need!
HAH! Middle of nowhere, try the little township that I grew up in, Matfield Green, Kansas. It is Northeast of Eldorado about 30 miles and is hid in behind a bunch of weeds. They have to pipe music in to that place just to get KFDI. LOL....

That being stated, I grew up on a farm and the stick welder was the big thing during my youth. Every farm boy knew how to weld and was very good at it. I went to work at a County Highway department and spent a lot of time doing welding on the heavy equipment and doing hard surfacing on the rock crusher parts to make them last. Wire welding was invented after my younger years. Wire welding in my time was an acetylene torch and bailing wire. Don't live in Matfield anymore, and I make an effort to blink when I drive by on the Turnpike, but then again it was home.

That being stated, I now have a Miller 220 welder and a plasma cutter, both of which I hardly use, but when needed, I can get them going.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
mongoose

you could always turn it into a tig.. 100 bucks for a torch and another bottle and your off to the races.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
HAH! Middle of nowhere, try the little township that I grew up in, Matfield Green, Kansas. It is Northeast of Eldorado about 30 miles and is hid in behind a bunch of weeds. They have to pipe music in to that place just to get KFDI. LOL....
That being stated, I grew up on a farm and the stick welder was the big thing during my youth. Every farm boy knew how to weld and was very good at it. I went to work at a County Highway department and spent a lot of time doing welding on the heavy equipment and doing hard surfacing on the rock crusher parts to make them last. Wire welding was invented after my younger years. Wire welding in my time was an acetylene torch and bailing wire. Don't live in Matfield anymore, and I make an effort to blink when I drive by on the Turnpike, but then again it was home.
That being stated, I now have a Miller 220 welder and a plasma cutter, both of which I hardly use, but when needed, I can get them going.
What a great story! I'm from the country in Indiana and understand what your saying. I know where your from and have a friend that lives outside of Eldorado! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
you could always turn it into a tig.. 100 bucks for a torch and another bottle and your off to the races.
Please tell me more and dare I ask for a link? I'm looking for info on the net right now.
I already have a 330cf cylinder or 100% argon. Plus I have a crisp $100 bill! Lol
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #18
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Wow, I had no idea this was possible! I'm reading tons of info now. Yes google is my friend... but if you don't know something's possible, you'll never learn.
Thanks for the info.
Here a link I'm watching.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...to-TIG-welding
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
mongoose

set it to dc neg, torch lead goes to stinger, need to get a torch with a manual gas knob on it.. well you don't have to but it's a lot better/easier.. hook up the gas feed, ground it.. starting welding..

there's lots of torches ebay, prob a few on craigslist in your area as well lots on videos on youtube about it as well, just look for scratch start tig.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
set it to dc neg, torch lead goes to stinger, need to get a torch with a manual gas knob on it.. well you don't have to but it's a lot better/easier.. hook up the gas feed, ground it.. starting welding..

there's lots of torches ebay, prob a few on craigslist in your area as well lots on videos on youtube about it as well, just look for scratch start tig.
Thank you guys!
I'm learning a lot and will look into this after I drag home my AV Gas refueler.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
_Ogre

Quote:
set it to dc neg,
his welder is ac only

Old 10-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #22
mongoose

ooppps i thought all tunderbolts were ac/dc..

my bad... nvm on the tig then.. wont work.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
dfrank

I will throw my input in as my family owns a steel fab shop. Like others have said it is great for heavy steel, but not the best for automotive. Honestly if you where closer and if we didn't already have at least 15 welders ranging from small machines to 400 amp diesel powered welders i would buy it off of you. The comment about the humidity with welding rods only has to do with one type of rod. I can't remember off the top of my head as i don't do much welding, but will ask my dad who is a master welder when he gets home. We actually have a rod heater for that type of rod that is like a little oven to keep the rods dry.

If you or anybody ever has any questions about welding PM me and i will ask my dad and you will get the correct answer. He has been welding professionaly for 30+ years and started the buisness when he was in his 20's. I am only 21 and haven't had time to get certified and take any classes for welding as i just got out of truck driving school earlier this year.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
dfrank

I asked my dad and he said the 7018 rods are the ones with the humidity problems.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote