The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Dale_Brown

8 lug verses 6 lug advnatages ??

8 lug verses 6 lug advantages?

I recently purchased a set of matching rears for my K 10 winter project. While walking through the local “pick and pull” I noticed a low mileage K20 with 8 lug wheels. When I inquired about price they were VERY reasonable!

My question is there any significant advantage in having this heavy duty rears as to my K 10 six lug. I can see the difference as the rear has some serious brake drums and looks to me more heavy duty. The front looks the same as mine with larger rotors.

I am not building an off road truck just a weekend driver.

Any assistance is always greatly appreciated!
Dale_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
steelhorse

Re: 8 lug verses 6 lug advnatages ??

Eight lug will be a stronger rear end but unless you are going to add some serious tires a bit overkill.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I prefer 8-lug, especially on a longbed 4wd. Rear axle is stronger and you get better brakes. It doesn't matter if you don't haul much or even go off road, it's just better. In my mind more is best with a truck. It may be more than you ever need but it doesn't matter. It's not like your mileage will be affected. Another reason I always went with 3/4t was tires. Things have changed,but you could always get better ply-rating/load range 16s than 15s.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
jocko

I'd agree with Tim - more is better in a truck in most cases, but I think the real question for you is whether or not the heavier duty diffs are worth the work involved in changing them. It's not a terribly hard job, but then again, you're not getting a HUGE increase in strength either. For a street driven truck that you don't plan off-roading or towing a lot with, it might be overkill. Up to you if overkill is warranted. If you like doing the work and you MIGHT do some of the heavy duty activities, then it's probably a good idea. If not, I'd save the $ (even if it is a good deal) and spend those precious free hours doing something else to the truck. If you have lots of time and the parts are cheap and you enjoy that type of work, then go for it, it's all good at that point.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Dale_Brown

Thanks for all the input. Pulling the truck apart this winter so time not an issue. Going to the bone yard this Friday to pull rears, cross member, drive shafts, shifters, and anything else I might need. Should be under $400.00. Since pulling these parts myself I will not have any missing parts or the dreaded cut E brake cables .

Only major issue is rims. I am currently running Chevy 6 lug rally's and like the way they look. Do they make 8 lug rally's?
Dale_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
crakarjax

You'll find a vastly smaller selection for 8 lug. If you are going to switch at all... well, I went 5 lug from 8 lug myself.