The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
mywifestruck

Farm Fresh from ND

My wife and I picked up this truck this spring off an auction in North Dakota. After inspection it appears to have spent A LOT of time on the farm, a few farm mods, like the fabricated hitch that seems it would be perfect for pulling a grain bin or hay wagon. The tread on the tires is impeccable; however, they the amount of dry rot on them, I would not trust them over 25MPH for a short distance. BUMMER! The wood bed is extremely dry rotted. The truck is a survivor of a deer hit, which crinkled the original hood pretty and the grill, I was able to pound the grill out pretty good, but haven't attempted anything with the hood yet. TIPS? The rocker panels are GONE, cab corners need replaced and the driver floor is should be replaced or patched. After a VIN search the truck came with a V8 (just not the one that's in it, 1978 305), which makes this truck an excellent candidate for an LS swap.

My daughter and I went to an estate auction this summer of a gentleman who was obviously a C10 enthusiast, I picked up the tailgate for $9 (it's rough), a couple boxes of interior parts for $6 a box ( NEW arm rests, NEW sun Visor, NEW door trim, NEW dome light, NEW door handle grommets, I also picked up a set of drop spindles for $50. Funny story, after I collected the items and set them in my pile, an older gentleman cam to me and asked what year my truck was and what I planned to do with it. The bad part about the time that it took to do all that bidding and talking I missed a hood on the other ring of the auction which I had to buy off the guy who bought it.

So things left purchase to get ready to start the build:
Painted front and rear bumper
front rotors and calipers
LS motor and 4L60E tranny (easy find off of CL)
new fuel tank to relocate
and some bucket seats ( actually found them at the local auto salvage yard)

Against my wife's wishes I am going with the Rat Rod/Patina look. I am still debating on air bags or lowering the suspension. Northern Minnesota roads can prove to be hard on air ride in the spring when the frost is coming out. Unless anyone on here says other wise. The first time I washed it I used a squirt of dawn dish soap and 0000 steel wool and man did that bring out the Patina.. Going to keep the 15" rims paint them red and get a set of Coker white walls hoping to go 285 in the back and 265 in the front without having to modify the wheel wells. I have 2 baby moons and 3 (?original?) dog dish hubcaps.

need to work on getting the photos up loaded, security token missing?!
mywifestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
mywifestruck

Re: Farm Fresh from ND

got photos to work
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
mywifestruck

a few more
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
mywifestruck

Seat I picked up today for...$100
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
mywifestruck

I also snagged an old tail gate with working guts. So now I have a fully functioning. Tail gate.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
mywifestruck

picked up a painted front bumper from bluebullet today. 10 minutes to get the part and 2 hours spent talking about trucks and parts and 4 hours of windshield time. Good time thanks Nathan, good luck with your wife's truck.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
mywifestruck

Looking for a painted rear bumper also. Mostly looking for something solid and mostly straight.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
tommys72

Good looking project there

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
BlueBullet

Thanks good luck with your project also. Will be watching for updates on the LS swap when that time comes. It was fun visiting today and I will keep my eye out for a rear bumper.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753294
BlueBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
mywifestruck

1968 Hubcap

Looking for one 1. 1968 C10 hubcap. see pictures above, it doesn't have to be in perfect shape. Reply or PM me if you have something. Thanks
Old 01-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
tucker69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywifestruck View Post
Looking for a painted rear bumper also. Mostly looking for something solid and mostly straight.
I have a really nice rear bumper off my 69', it was what I call the farm bumper, im pretty sure these were dealer installed back then. the dealers name is stamped on the face. Anyway, if your interested you can call me @ (318)272-3950 or send me a message. Casey
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
mywifestruck

old tore up foam off of drivers seat and frame cleaned up. heading out to the upholstery shop, there won't be another buddy bucket seat like this one.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #13
mywifestruck

[IMG][/IMG]

I know these are hard to find. I am looking for one more. As you can see it doesn't need to be in perfect shape, actually looking for one in comparable condition to these 3.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #14
mywifestruck

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I've done A LOT of reading, and pricing. My original plan was an LS swap, after searching for an LS motor and transmission without a lot of luck and not having $1500 in hand to hand over for a motor and transmission, I decided to build a 350. So half of the parts arrived, I need to order the cam, springs and rockers. I had a Edelbrock performer RPM intake, and pickup a edelbrock 1406 carb and also a quadrajet. I cleaned up the heads and lapped the valves. Now need to get the block to the machine shop for boring.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
5567Cruiser

Smile Re: Farm Fresh from ND

Quote:

old tore up foam off of drivers seat and frame cleaned up. heading out to the upholstery shop, there won't be another buddy bucket seat like this one.
When I got my truck it had the buddy seats and I was going to put some later model buckets but my friends talked me out of it and I had mine reupholstered and that was the right decision so I am glad to see you are keeping them. If you price a good set they are bringing big bucks no matter what shape and they are getting rarer daily. Good luck on your project as mine took 6 years and I never thought I would get it done. I just got it on the road in August of 2016.
55 CHEV BEL AIR 2DR SEDAN
67 BUICK GS400 CONVERT
5567Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #16
swamp rat

I wish i could find a C10 estate sale like that! I think my inner rockers are on one of my trucks are about like that as well.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #17
mywifestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I wish i could find a C10 estate sale like that! I think my inner rockers are on one of my trucks are about like that as well.
That sale was awesome! The years of stuff that guy had collected was unreal. I talked with the guys son at the sale, he said a lot of the stuff was scrapped before the sale, after all the kids came and grabbed what they wanted. It was a 2 day sale I went the first day which was just the stuff he had outside. The second day, they were going to be grabbing and pulling stuff out of the 2 "sheds" on the property, I wish I would have gone to that day also.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:35 AM   #18
BlueBullet

Any updates? PM sent
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 AM   #19
mywifestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBullet View Post
Any updates? PM sent
I got the seats recovered. I need to go pick them up I will post pictures when I have it put together. All I can say now is there isn't a buddy bucket like it. Motor is half done, I decided to do a SBC. Still looking for a rear bumper and a drivers side trailing arm. I have new wood for the bed I need to get it on the planner and router table. I am a little frustrated with how slow it's going...but.

You sell the blue truck yet? I see there's a pile of parts on CL in Princeton, thinking of going over and shopping.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
BlueBullet

Yea I sold the blue short box in the beginning of December. Got the wife's short box done for the time being and drug home another project a couple weeks ago. I might have a drivers side trailing arm. Wondering if we could work out a deal on those front frame horns on the bumper I sold you. Give me a call when you have a chance.

Thanks Nathan
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #21
mywifestruck

Anyone use Mar K bolt kits? I would like to use my old bed strips with the round holes requiring the ribbed shoulder bolts. I have the new wood for the bed cut, planed and dado cut the edges. I used Harvest Gold Thompsons Water sealer on the wood, it turned out alright, I should have gone darker. Now I just need to get new hardware for remounting the bed.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #22
flipper58

Quote:
Anyone use Mar K bolt kits? I would like to use my old bed strips with the round holes requiring the ribbed shoulder bolts. I have the new wood for the bed cut, planed and dado cut the edges. I used Harvest Gold Thompsons Water sealer on the wood, it turned out alright, I should have gone darker. Now I just need to get new hardware for remounting the bed.
I have. Their stuff is top notch, far superior to some others I used on my bed strips.
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #23
mywifestruck

The seats turned out, I used all the old uniforms I had and some duffel bag material. Not sure how long they will hold up but they'll certainly be one of a kind.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #24
mywifestruck

Bed boards are done being planed: white oak, red oak and maple.
New mounting hardware ordered.
Attached Images

Last edited by mywifestruck; 04-19-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #25
BlueBullet

Seats look great definitely one of a kind!!