The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #26
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

What’s up all, so I just did a flip kit, I left shocks installed where they were and I got a lot of axle hitting, so I relocated them just like u said to the other hole, now it lifted it higher but no axle hitting. The ride is now super stiff any help?

Last edited by a32axo; 12-11-2017 at 09:53 PM.
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
sKnNyPpY
Registered User
 
sKnNyPpY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 533
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

A little extra weight in the back helps as does a rear strut bar. Leaf back is gonna be tight though. Glad your not hitting! I put the cpp rear bar on and it handles better with a little less bump but not much.
__________________
Life is too long to go slow...
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom LWB
350/350 AC(replaced w/vintage air)/PS/PB
2.5 Spindle 1" CPP Spring, CPP Front Sway Bar/DJM Flip, new 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
A little extra weight in the back helps as does a rear strut bar. Leaf back is gonna be tight though. Glad your not hitting! I put the cpp rear bar on and it handles better with a little less bump but not much.
Cpp rear bar? Do I need to change the shocks to front shocks?
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #29
sKnNyPpY
Registered User
 
sKnNyPpY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 533
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

If you are running original shocks yes, they will be too tall and be bottomed out. The easy way is run front shock legnth, but search drop shock legnth on the board for better info. I just did the same front and back.
__________________
Life is too long to go slow...
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom LWB
350/350 AC(replaced w/vintage air)/PS/PB
2.5 Spindle 1" CPP Spring, CPP Front Sway Bar/DJM Flip, new 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #30
sKnNyPpY
Registered User
 
sKnNyPpY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 533
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Look at clp-cp7402u-blac at summit racing for the rear bar
__________________
Life is too long to go slow...
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom LWB
350/350 AC(replaced w/vintage air)/PS/PB
2.5 Spindle 1" CPP Spring, CPP Front Sway Bar/DJM Flip, new 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #31
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

So put front shocks on rear and now it hits again. Not enough support. How can I fix this with out c notch
Posted via Mobile Device
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #32
sKnNyPpY
Registered User
 
sKnNyPpY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 533
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

If it was working with the other shocks I'd just switch back. There is a proper way to measure, I've just never bothered. Search the forum.
__________________
Life is too long to go slow...
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom LWB
350/350 AC(replaced w/vintage air)/PS/PB
2.5 Spindle 1" CPP Spring, CPP Front Sway Bar/DJM Flip, new 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
If it was working with the other shocks I'd just switch back. There is a proper way to measure, I've just never bothered. Search the forum.
I measured rear shocks at 18.5 and front shocks at 15.3 so Iím guessing I need something in between. Will that work?
Posted via Mobile Device
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #34
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,328
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32axo View Post
I measured rear shocks at 18.5 and front shocks at 15.3 so Iím guessing I need something in between. Will that work?
Posted via Mobile Device
What exactly are you measuring when you "measured rear shocks and front shocks"?
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #35
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What exactly are you measuring when you "measured rear shocks and front shocks"?
Website measurements when fully expanded
Posted via Mobile Device
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #36
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,328
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32axo View Post
Website measurements when fully expanded
Posted via Mobile Device
You need to know the shock length you require.

Take a measurement between the upper & lower mounts (w/full weight on the vehicle). Then look for a shock where that measurement is as close to the midpoint of the fully extended/fully compressed dimensions.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #37
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You need to know the shock length you require.

Take a measurement between the upper & lower mounts (w/full weight on the vehicle). Then look for a shock where that measurement is as close to the midpoint of the fully extended/fully compressed dimensions.
With truck fully dropped no shock, measurement is 11.5 inches so what size shock I need?
Maybe the front shock needs to be more heavy duty? Ther rear shock that was installed before was Kyb gas adjust stock shock for rear. It was a really bouncy bumpy ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #38
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,328
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32axo View Post
With truck fully dropped no shock, measurement is 11.5 inches so what size shock I need?
Maybe the front shock needs to be more heavy duty? Ther rear shock that was installed before was Kyb gas adjust stock shock for rear. It was a really bouncy bumpy ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not a fan of the KYB Gas-A-Just line of shocks because the ones I've messed with (on C10's & G-body Malibus )were way to stiff/harsh. RCD (Race Car Dynamics) used to offer re-valved Bilsteins but I just chacked their site & they don't list info/dimensions like they used to.

Now that you know your ride height shock dimension, I would add/subtract 3-3.5" from that dimension for your searches. So look for these approximate dimensions:

8" fully compressed
11.5 ride height (mid point)
15" fully extended

Ride tech has some NICE shocks (HQ Series) that are adjustable for rebound so you could dial them in to suit your exact needs. They have a killer warranty but are expensive vs. off the shelf/non-adjustable shocks.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #39
a32axo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Baldwin park, california
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'm not a fan of the KYB Gas-A-Just line of shocks because the ones I've messed with (on C10's & G-body Malibus )were way to stiff/harsh. RCD (Race Car Dynamics) used to offer re-valved Bilsteins but I just chacked their site & they don't list info/dimensions like they used to.

Now that you know your ride height shock dimension, I would add/subtract 3-3.5" from that dimension for your searches. So look for these approximate dimensions:

8" fully compressed
11.5 ride height (mid point)
15" fully extended

Ride tech has some NICE shocks (HQ Series) that are adjustable for rebound so you could dial them in to suit your exact needs. They have a killer warranty but are expensive vs. off the shelf/non-adjustable shocks.
So basically thatís a stock front shock size
Posted via Mobile Device
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #40
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,328
Re: 2.25" Leaf Spring Flip and Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32axo View Post
So basically that’s a stock front shock size
Posted via Mobile Device
It's close. Seems I recall 10.5" @ midpoint but that's based on my Bilsteins. Different mfr's do have different dimensions.

Off the shelf shocks might have different valving based on the shocks spec'd position (front or rear). You're options:

A) Some adjustable shocks w/close dimensions.
B) Fab up some different shock brackets to allow the correct app shocks to fit/work.
C) Search catalogs for shocks that have similar dimensions/mounts that should work w/your set-up. If you find some, it could be trial & error on how 'well' they work.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com