The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Ironhorse

Replace Cig. Lighter Element

Have tried several times to replace/remove the element from my original GM cig. lighter in my '71 4x4. Does not work, wiring is good to the lighter housing with solid 12 volts. Can only figure the element is burnt out? Any one have a clue as to how to remove from the lighter knob and replace with a new element? Not having any luck removing it. Seems simple enough to accomplish but can't get it done. Thought all the old knobs and elements were serviceable replacement style?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
cericd

Re: Replace Cig. Lighter Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Have tried several times to replace/remove the element from my original GM cig. lighter in my '71 4x4. Does not work, wiring is good to the lighter housing with solid 12 volts. Can only figure the element is burnt out? Any one have a clue as to how to remove from the lighter knob and replace with a new element? Not having any luck removing it. Seems simple enough to accomplish but can't get it done. Thought all the old knobs and elements were serviceable replacement style?
Did you ever figure out how to separate the lighter element from the button? It looks like replacement elements are available so it should be a simple pull or twist but I cant figure it out either. I'd like to take mine apart to polish and repaint it. I've looked all over the forum and couldn't find anyone else talking about this. I did see another member used to sell restored '67 lighters but he hasn't been on the forum since 2018 so I figured that would be a dead end.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Smitty

The button will unscrew from the element. But the element is pressed or glued to the black metal disc. My element was good. So I removed the button sanded the disc, masked it off and repainted it. I would guess if the element is shot one might be able to punch it out of the disc and find a replacement element. But might need to find another means to attach it.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
cericd

Thanks Smitty, removing the button will make it much easier to mask the black area off and repaint.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
Smitty

Smile Re: Replace Cig. Lighter Element

Found that I had to use some medium with water pump/slip joint pliers on the black portion and another protected pliers on the chrome button so as not to mar either portion. Because they can be pretty stubborn about be parted after 40+yrs.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
cericd

I got lucky. Mine came apart with my hands. What paint did you use for the black part?

Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
Ironhorse

cericd, thanks for bringing this thread back and now we even have an answer to the question. Since I don't smoke and haven't for a good many years the lighter not working was no big deal. The 12 volt power source for my cell phone was all I needed. Glad you got an answer thanks to Smitty. Good info if one can find a replacement element or want to spruce up the looks of a lighter.

Thanks to you also Smitty for the info. May have to see if I can get lucky to separate my lighter at some point.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
Smitty

There was another post recently. Where another member showed how he used an element he got at the parts place. And the way he adapted to utilize the black washes and chrome button. I don’t smoke either but run my kill switch through the lighter.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
cericd

I'm thankful for the answer too. My truck came with a lighter delete plug and I'm a non-smoker but wanted to add a lighter to use with a cell phone charger as well. Plus, I could use the lighter as a hand warmer since my heater doesn't currently work.