The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
EVILDOR

Need some help

This is my .first post but have been a member for a few months. To start off with this is a great site. I have a 72 c20 and a 87 k5. I need help with the 72. It has a 350 an the issue is driving the other day stopped at stop light idled fine for 5 -10 sec then wanted to die, put into neutral an let set at 1500 rpm light turned green put in gear an took off, happened once more at next light. drove another 10 miles parked an it sat for few hours drove 15 miles home no problems. truck sat for 4 days, drove this am to breakfast 4 miles away ate than on way out it died. after cranking on it for few min got to start but ran rough an if took foot off gas would die. limped it home let sit few hours went out pumped gas twice an fired up ran normal for 10 sec than wanted to die, was giving it gas but would feel as if starving for fuel. thinking fuel pump, anything else I should be thinking. Checked all lines , fuel in tank all is good thanks for any imput
EVILDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Cape Codder

Re: Need some help

You might have a stuck float try tapping on he carb. float bowl. Then check or replace fuel filter before changing the pump. A mechanical pump usually either works or doesn't work seldom intermittent.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
hugger6933

welcome to the site I want to help you but your screen name makes me nervous. First off fuel filter, fuel pressure, thrash in the tank or carb. sounds like the culprit. We had a bob truck[grain truck C5500 GMC 66 model]it ran great but every time we took it to the grainry it would start then die like i was out of gas.We could pull off the elevator and around to the side and it would crank and run fine until it was back to have the lift dump it again. The wrench guys shake their heads every time they saw it coming they just couldn't figure it out.Finally they ended up pulling the gas tank and had found that a single soybean[one of our main crops]had gotten in the tank somehow and would roll over on to the gas outlet every time the truck was lifted to dump the bed. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Longhorn 70

Welcome from Chandler.

If this is a QJet,I'd bet on fuel filter, fuel pump, crud in the line somewhere. Check to see if the accelerator pump squirts when it doesn't start. If it doesn't, look at one of the things mentioned.

If it is flooding or has too much gas in the carb/manifold area, bad float is my guess.

It could also be something flakey in the ignition. Let's rule out fuel first though.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
EVILDOR

thanks for the help, its a holley carb have had it on for few months. did notice when truck not running it squirts fuel into carb as normal but when I do get it running an running rough the fuel squirting sounds like its spitting into carb,
EVILDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If it is still there I'm betting that the sock filter on the fuel pick up tube is plugged up. Is there an in-line filter on it? If the sock filter is gone maybe some junk is plugging up the pickup tube. Take the gas cap off and the fuel line where it connects to the fuel pump and blow some air backwards through the line, put it back together, and see what happens...

Could also be a hole in the rubber line under the cab, letting it suck air.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
mgchevyparts

Dirt in the carb/fuel