The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
53 292

Best way to store engine?

I got a 327 small block from a friend, but since i wont be using it anytime soon as I work on my 50, whats the best way to store it so it fires up when the time comes? Right now its on an engine stand in a shed. Any tips to keep it happy or just cover it up and let it be?
53 292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Best way to store engine?

I've got one on a engine stand with a big industrial garbage bag over it with a couple of decadent bags thrown in for good measure..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Jemezcrusher

I would oil the cylinders with marvels mystery oil. there are also some sprays available too

Pressure prime before you start it up
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
OrrieG

The 350 in my truck came running out of a truck in 2006. It sat on an engine stand or in the 59 until I started it up in 2014. All I did between was pull the pan to check the bottom end, timing cover to check the timing chain and intake. While I had the intake off I lubed the cam best I could. Before I fired it I preoiled it using an old dist. shaft and 1/2" drill. Fired right up, a little haze for a couple of minutes until the rings settled back in. I just kept it covered with an old bed sheet, plastic will condense water vapor on the inside, cotton breathes, generally not an issue here in the desert.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
fisherman420

I have had my 383 stroker built since 2005 as incentive to complete my 1950 project. The motor was built with plenty of assemble lube and stored with any open holes/ports covered or plugged with masking tape, rags ect while being covered with an old bed sheet in in my garage. This summer I made an engine run stand and before firing I double checked for #1 TDC, primed the motor well to ensure good oil pressure with the valve covers off until oil came to every lifter (zddp additive in oil for the new hydraulic flat tappet cam), dropped the distributor in and double checked rotor was pointed to #1 wire, primed the carb with about a cup of gas and when I hit the key she lit up perfectly. Immediately once running I checked timing with a light and brought her up to 2200-2500rpm varying every 5 min for a total of 20min. The next day I removed both valve covers and disconnected the coil and cranked it over to make sure all the pushrods were spinning.....cam was good=smile on my face.
fisherman420 is offline   Reply With Quote