The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
lucusbumanlag

Starter issues

I have a 72 c10 with a 350/th350. When I start the truck it makes a horrible grinding sound. The truck starts right up within a second or two but it makes that grinding sound. What could it be? A bad solenoid? Completely bad starter? Or just might need a shim job? Just wondering what you guys think?
lucusbumanlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Starter issues

My first thought is shims. But if it worked before and doesn't now, then that doesn't seem too likely. If it were me and it's been a while since the replacement, I'd replace the starter.

Believe it or not, I had one experience where it was a bad starter AND battery. Seemed the battery wasn't providing enough juice and contributed to grinding. That was back in the day I thought a cheap battery works as well as an expensive one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
franken

Get under it, remove the cover and look when the gear engages.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Custom/Ten

First thing I'd check for is loose starter bolts. If it's not that do what Franklin said.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Secret Squirrel

When my starter went out it started with same symptoms
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

I used to get one like that occasionaly back when I had a shop. It usually caused by the gears not meshing deep enough. Replace the drive on the end of the starter & make sure the bushings are good. Take a large rough file & go across the mounting surface of the starter. The metal gets pulled up & lowers the starter away from the flywheel. That generally fixes the problem. If you go to far which never happened then you can use a shim. These starters are not hard to work on yourself.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I used to get one like that occasionaly back when I had a shop. It usually caused by the gears not meshing deep enough. Replace the drive on the end of the starter & make sure the bushings are good. Take a large rough file & go across the mounting surface of the starter. The metal gets pulled up & lowers the starter away from the flywheel. That generally fixes the problem. If you go to far which never happened then you can use a shim. These starters are not hard to work on yourself.
Especially with butt connectors. I had mine in and out three times to get the height right. The last two times it took 10 minutes each tops, and if I can do it........Didn't think to use a file.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #8
lucusbumanlag

Ok thanks for all the feedback you guys. I think I might just buy a completely new starter and start from there.
lucusbumanlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucusbumanlag View Post
Ok thanks for all the feedback you guys. I think I might just buy a completely new starter and start from there.
If I did, I would buy a later gear-reduction type instead of the original. If you have an HEI or similar distributor that will be no problem. If you have an original style distributor, then you have to deal with the start circuit to the coil.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucusbumanlag View Post
Pulling that cover to see what's going on is a good idea as well. Not sure why I didn't do that. What is there, two bolts?

Note: Get a good starter (not cheap) if it comes to that. Like I said, I installed it three times with the last replacement. Heck, it might have been four times (twice for adjustment). Somewhere in the middle I replaced the battery with a GOOD one as well. I'm no mechanic, but solid juice to the starter seemed to have had some impact on the gears. Less drag I guess.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
If I did, I would buy a later gear-reduction type instead of the original. If you have an HEI or similar distributor that will be no problem. If you have an original style distributor, then you have to deal with the start circuit to the coil.
In what way does gear-reduction reduce gears?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
trapdoor2

While your under there checking on stuff, check all the electrical connections and wires...including grounds. Poor/reduced power delivery can cause weak/short gear engagement, etc.

Grinding noises = bad juju. Dey say, "Fix me now! If dey stop: de gods have judged your wallet be too full!"
trapdoor2 is offline   Reply With Quote